Cadillac begins new naming scheme for SUV's too...

twintornados

You know, I just realized.....they supposedly did the CT# naming system to have less confusion than the _TS naming scheme (which I don't really know how it was that confusing....the higher up in the alphabet the first letter, the bigger it is - no different than a number) while using the name recognition of the CTS.......ok....maybe I'll buy that......

but now they're going to call their SUVs/crossovers XT# - didn't they see the potential confusion with the XTS and XT# ?

I really am surprised they didn't just go with SR# since they already had the SRX. But I guess they wanted to get an X in there somewhere for crossover.

Thinking about the new naming scheme further.....will they carry the numbers over from car to crossover? For example - since the CT6 is the new flagship model, will the new large crossover slotted above the SRX be called XT6? i.e. the number 6 = large vehicle

And how do coupes and potential convertibles fit into the naming scheme? Are sedans even numbers and coupes odd numbers like Audi? So does ATS = CT2; CTS = CT4; flagship = CT6? With ATS coupe being CT3; CTS coupe (if continued) being CT5? What if they make a convertible ATS as rumored? Is it just the CT3 convertible?

Getting back to the number carryover - does SRX become XT4? And the smaller one become XT2? With room for potential crossover coupe-type vehicles being XT3 and XT5......or are they just going to haphazardly throw the numbers on whatever vehicles they have?

Then again, I'm probably putting more thought into this than they have.....

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

The article said the Escalade would be an exception.

I will admit to not reading the entire article...just the thought of an fine American luxury car company doing away with proper names bugs the hell out of me....and I drive an MKX....remember the good old days when Europe and Japan copied US??

You know, I just realized.....they supposedly did the CT# naming system to have less confusion than the _TS naming scheme (which I don't really know how it was that confusing....the higher up in the alphabet the first letter, the bigger it is - no different than a number) while using the name recognition of the CTS.......ok....maybe I'll buy that......

but now they're going to call their SUVs/crossovers XT# - didn't they see the potential confusion with the XTS and XT# ?

I really am surprised they didn't just go with SR# since they already had the SRX. But I guess they wanted to get an X in there somewhere for crossover.

Thinking about the new naming scheme further.....will they carry the numbers over from car to crossover? For example - since the CT6 is the new flagship model, will the new large crossover slotted above the SRX be called XT6? i.e. the number 6 = large vehicle

And how do coupes and potential convertibles fit into the naming scheme? Are sedans even numbers and coupes odd numbers like Audi? So does ATS = CT2; CTS = CT4; flagship = CT6? With ATS coupe being CT3; CTS coupe (if continued) being CT5? What if they make a convertible ATS as rumored? Is it just the CT3 convertible?

Getting back to the number carryover - does SRX become XT4? And the smaller one become XT2? With room for potential crossover coupe-type vehicles being XT3 and XT5......or are they just going to haphazardly throw the numbers on whatever vehicles they have?

Then again, I'm probably putting more thought into this than they have.....

XTS is a one-generation only vehicle.

Gonna call it the Xcalade.

Maybe they have a bunch of these left over in a warehouse somewhere?

IMG_0638.JPG

That reminds me. About 10 years ago I stopped at an intersection in my Lincoln LS (stop sign). It looked clear so I started to turn right but a car came zooming around the corner so I had to hit the brakes before I got out into the road. There was a kid behind me in a S-10 Extreme which translated to about 20 lbs of plastic crap on the front end. I know exactly what he did - he saw me go, then he started to go and was looking back to see if it was clear for him to go and he didn't see me stop. BAM! Could not find a scratch on my LS bumper at all, but his Extreme grille was in about 50 pieces. I let it go since there was no damage to mine. I told him that was a lesson everyone has to learn at some point and that he wouldn't do it again. Unfortunately some lessons are more expensive than others. But how expensive can 20 lbs of plastic really be? :)

That reminds me. About 10 years ago I stopped at an intersection in my Lincoln LS (stop sign). It looked clear so I started to turn right but a car came zooming around the corner so I had to hit the brakes before I got out into the road. There was a kid behind me in a S-10 Extreme which translated to about 20 lbs of plastic crap on the front end. I know exactly what he did - he saw me go, then he started to go and was looking back to see if it was clear for him to go and he didn't see me stop. BAM! Could not find a scratch on my LS bumper at all, but his Extreme grille was in about 50 pieces. I let it go since there was no damage to mine. I told him that was a lesson everyone has to learn at some point and that he wouldn't do it again. Unfortunately some lessons are more expensive than others. But how expensive can 20 lbs of plastic really be? :)

I believe you mean "Xtreme" ;)

XTS is a one-generation only vehicle.

That may be true....and it's not like the XTS would keep that name even if it did continue forward, but it'll still be confusing as they implement this new naming scheme......Cadillac introduces the new XT5! Wait, wasn't that a sedan? now it's a crossover? Haha.

That may be true....and it's not like the XTS would keep that name even if it did continue forward, but it'll still be confusing as they implement this new naming scheme......Cadillac introduces the new XT5! Wait, wasn't that a sedan? now it's a crossover? Haha.

You're assuming that they thought all the way through this new scheme...

There is a planned MCE for the XTS and at that point it would be renamed, though I've heard from more than one person it may be cancelled before that.

You're assuming that they thought all the way through this new scheme...

There is a planned MCE for the XTS and at that point it would be renamed, though I've heard from more than one person it may be cancelled before that.

Well as I said at the end of my post above where I tried to make sense of the naming scheme, I have probably put more thought into it than they have.

• 4 weeks later...