Ford November Sales down 2%, Lincoln Delivers Best November Since 2007

Anthony

I have a free account with Angie's (don't ask) and it actually has really helped me out. Before I used Angie's List I used a plumber who was horrible. After I got the AL account I looked him up and sure enough he had horrible reviews. I've used some contractors that had some great feedback and were just as the reviews stated. Maybe I've just been lucky?

Either way, I don't care. I'm not paying for it. :)

I do most of that stuff around my house anyways...nothing you can't figure out using google and youtube :)

• Like 2

I do most of that stuff around my house anyways...nothing you can't figure out using google and youtube :)

I just replaced a leaking internal hose in our front-loader washing machine. Watched a video on youtube on how to change it and it took the guy nearly an hour as he took the whole dam washer apart! So, I crawled behind it, found the 3 clamps holding the hose on, used a mirror to see what I was doing, and had the hose off in 5 minutes. Got the new hose and had it back on in 5 minutes. Glad I didn't follow his instructions! :)

• Like 2

I just replaced a leaking internal hose in our front-loader washing machine. Watched a video on youtube on how to change it and it took the guy nearly an hour as he took the whole dam washer apart! So, I crawled behind it, found the 3 clamps holding the hose on, used a mirror to see what I was doing, and had the hose off in 5 minutes. Got the new hose and had it back on in 5 minutes. Glad I didn't follow his instructions! :)

BUT!

if you spent almost an hour watching some guy do it the wrong way on YouTube, did you really save any time by doing it the right way afterward?

• Like 2

BUT!

if you spent almost an hour watching some guy do it the wrong way on YouTube, did you really save any time by doing it the right way afterward?

Ha! It was a time lapse that condensed the process down into about 6-7 minutes of video (of which I spent even less, actually, since I skipped bits of it). Trust me, I wouldn't waste an hour watching someone dismantle a washer. :)

Rich, way it works is consumer contacts TRUECAR with the specs of the vehicle they desire, True car shoots back a coupon with their GUARNATEED price...consumer then gos to an AUTHORIZED dealer with that coupon....if a car of ANY type is sold to that individual it is part of the agreement ( for the "privilege " of the Truecar lead ) a "fee" is sent to Truecar....quite the scam for about 10 minutes work really. Damned be the dealer that has to spend HOURS finding, financing and delivering.....like I said, laughing all the way to the bank and preying on peoples insecurities when it comes to purchasing a vehicle...like most other "buying" services....

Rich, way it works is consumer contacts TRUECAR with the specs of the vehicle they desire, True car shoots back a coupon with their GUARNATEED price...consumer then gos to an AUTHORIZED dealer with that coupon....if a car of ANY type is sold to that individual it is part of the agreement ( for the "privilege " of the Truecar lead ) a "fee" is sent to Truecar....quite the scam for about 10 minutes work really. Damned be the dealer that has to spend HOURS finding, financing and delivering.....like I said, laughing all the way to the bank and preying on peoples insecurities when it comes to purchasing a vehicle...like most other "buying" services....

Then I'd tell TrueCar to go pound sand.

That is, unquestionably, the stupidest, worst, most idiotic "lead" program short of loading human beings into a cannon and firing them at the dealership. "You owe us $300 for that customer." "Which customer" "The one that just flew through the window and into that new Dodge." "The one that's bleeding from the ears?" "Yep. That one. Three hundred. Or else we won't fire customers at you from a cannon anymore."

I'll admit, I like the thought of dishonest dealers that take advantage of customers getting ripped off by TrueCar, but as a business proposition, this is right up there with paying protection money to a six year old with a slingshot.

• Like 3

Im starting to hear a LOT of Dealer backlash, but what a ploy...shoot a lowball number and leave 99% of the work to someone else that HAS to maintain a CSI standard ( think Truecar does????? ) ....NICE....but to me just shows theres STILL rampant fear of the car buying process....and seriously, in some instances its justified.

problem is too Richard....gotta be "in the game" to remain competitive, unfortunately, if every dealer bar one pulled out of the program...guess what?....

I'd be willing to take that risk. If it costs too much to make the sale, then there's no point in trying to make the sale.

I mean, how many decent leads are you ignoring when you spend hours trying to land a thoroughly pointless one?

--

And I'll tell you why people still hate the car buying process: I filled out a form on a dealer website a few weeks ago. The button I clicked on was labeled "Get the Carfax" -- I had to enter my contact info, but I figured, 'hey, if the dealer's going to give me the Carfax at no cost, I have to expect them to ask for something in return.'

I did NOT get the Carfax. I got an email, three phone calls, another email, and then a third email, and now I'm on the dealer's email list.

This irritated me to no end.

We're all adults here. Let's act like adults. I'm perfectly capable, on my own, of initiating a purchase. I do not need some dealer trying to pressure me into a decision. I don't expect dealers to lose money when they sell me a car, in return, I do not want the dealership to piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

Edited by RichardJensen

I do as well. But when it comes to plumbing, I'd rather have a pro so I don't end up with a flooded house.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Only thing I ever hear from people that owned a Saturn, (even if they didn't have a good ownership experience-rare) is they actually miss the no haggle policy from the dealerships. And there are some other branded dealerships that follow that model and might actually have good loyal customers from it.

I would say I'm the customer from hell, if I feel pressure, I give it. If they raise their volume, I do too. If they try to introduce me to a manager, I'll get on the phone and call a relative to introduce them to. If they want to be my best-friend, I tell them my BF gives good head, are they going on their knees shortly. And yeah there have been some dealerships (Toyota specially) who "Oh we don't discount our cars" as soon as I walk onto the parking lot, where I've done a 360 and just walk away. While having them chase me. One time I even walked into a MBenz dealership where I just felt like grabbing the dyed blond haired lady with her fake plasticky nails and wanted to slam her face into the hood of the car when I walked in wearing shorts and she gave me a "look", where I nicely told her "If you had as great as legs as I do, u might use them the right way and never work again like me".... Soooo if they wish to play games, I can play as well.

I've learned to just go-online to the dealership and do it thru Email back and fourth and be done with it. That way the games are kept to a minimum and if I dont like it, I dont return the call or email. And I tell people just go to CarMax and look for the cars they wish to test drive, and SEE how the car ages as well, but they will be in an atmosphere of no pressure to buy. And some have such a good experience, they will buy it from them, who knows.

...I don't expect dealers to lose money when they sell me a car, in return, I do not want the dealership to piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

I do as well. But when it comes to plumbing, I'd rather have a pro so I don't end up with a flooded house.

Well, that was an interesting juxtaposition of posts...

• Like 5

but I'm not going to demand invoice pricing either.

That's really the easiest. I usually tell the salesperson (I typically work with the same sales lady, and she knows how I work) that I want to order a vehicle. Sell it to me an invoice and it will save us all a lot of hassle. Don't try to sell me any crap, either, and that will save us all a lot of paperwork. :)

Rich, in my( GULP ) almost 3 decades of doing this, the HAPPIEST, and most LOYAL customers are those that compromise, feel its ok for the Dealers to make a small/ fair profit, as long as its reasonable, to be dealt with in an upfront manner with all cards on the table. The WORST are those that spend months searching for that last 50cents, pit dealer against dealer and generally make life unbearable for everyone they deal with....oh, and most internet customers. They are the CSI demons, NEVER EVER happy and let everyone know that fact. Hey, I will fess, YES, if you have all the time in the world, there is most likely someone out there willing to beat a price I've given by maybe $100/ $200, if that's worth your time, so be it. BUT, if you want to walk in here, sign and be out in 10 minutes then save yourself the aggravation. How valuable is YOUR time for a more pleasurable, less stress ridden experience?. Of course, I am thinking of going the Truecar sales route and giving a " Don't pay more than this for Car X "....only for when you come back to be greeted with " sure, but I didn't say I would sell/ get you the car for that.....". UGH, sometimes this business is stomach churning..my pet peeve is explaining disclosures on ANOTHER STORES loss leader advertisement....

• Like 2

That's nothing. On Cars.com the other day I saw a vehicle that I possibly interested in for a spectacular price.

I read the vehicle details and buried in there was this line (get this): "Price listed above is after a $2,000 down payment"

WTF?!?!?! I reported the advertisement to cars.com but I doubt they give two poops of raisins.

I don't want to haggle or play games but I don't want to get screwed either. So what I did was email 4-5 dealers saying I wanted their best price and would place a factory order (I gave them the exact details of what the order would be). I ended up with quotes that varied by more than $500 for the dealers that answered, 1 that wanted to play games and would not give a price, and 1 did not respond until too late and also sounded like they wanted to play games. (I already placed the order).

I went with the low bidder (I did not try to extract any more as it was a reasonable price) and it was low key and painless for both sides.

• Like 2

@Schpark, no problems with that, me I'm more about the overall relationship, Ive got close to 30 year customers that I would crawl over hot coals for should they have an issue, if they decide to shop and get a better price, I do what I can, however $500 equates to $8.33 a month @ 0% financing, so like I have said, depends on what's important to the buyer...there's a HAPPY compromise somewhere, otherwise it can be one of the most painful self induced procedures known to man....