Gas Prices

I've been jumping for joy as the price tumbled...but then heard the stories (ulterior motives? conspiracy theories?) and am a little apprehensive.

There was talk of opec fighting about whether to keep the price up by reducing pumping or keeping pumping the same and gaining market share.

US shale oil is about $65 a barrel to produce and Alberta tar sands oil is $70 per barrel, opec costs about $30 per barrel to produce.

In theory, they could keep pumping, drive the price down to $50 a barrel and kill a lot of Canadian and US companies/jobs while still bringing profit. (albeit at a reduced rate)

I'm still glad the price is down as I've gone from over $100 a week for fuel to $48 a week...but...if it's bad for North America.....

Naimi declares price war on U.S. shale oil,” a Reuters headline shouted, referring to Saudi Arabia Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi.

But there are at least three big problems with this strategy. One, North American crude isn’t as expensive to produce as it used to be. Two, there’s more than you think in the pipeline to make it even cheaper. And third, OPEC nations, including Saudi Arabia, have squandered their edge in cheap oil supplies on welfare states rulers can’t easily cut back.

In 2012, when U.S. shale burst into public consciousness, common wisdom was that it would cost at least $70 to $75 a barrel to produce. As recently as last week, saying U.S. producers could tolerate $60 oil seemed aggressive.

But data from the state of North Dakota says the average cost per barrel in America’s top oil-producing state is only $42 — to make a 10% return for rig owners. In McKenzie County, which boasts 72 of the state’s 188 oil rigs, the average production cost is just $30, the state says. Another 27 rigs are around $29.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/opec-is-wrong-to-think-it-can-outlast-us-on-oil-prices-2014-12-02

From what I've been reading, the Saudis may very well be increasing production (and driving down the price of crude) to hurt Iran, Russia, and/or ISIS/ISIL--and there's some thought that they might be colluding with the US to do it.

Iran is not the target, as it is anti-ISIS, and already well-sanctioned, but it gives the Saudis and the US a way of bleeding ISIS and giving Vlad one up-side the head as the value of Russkie oil exports tank. Crimea river, Vlad. :)

• Like 1

From what I've been reading, the Saudis may very well be increasing production (and driving down the price of crude) to hurt Iran, Russia, and/or ISIS/ISIL--and there's some thought that they might be colluding with the US to do it.

Thats the other thing thats going on, but the other thing that is interesting about this is it seems like the demand for oil is starting to slack a bit, partly due to more efficient cars and people not driving as much?

Iran is not the target, as it is anti-ISIS, and already well-sanctioned, but it gives the Saudis and the US a way of bleeding ISIS and giving Vlad one up-side the head as the value of Russkie oil exports tank. Crimea river, Vlad. :)

There's no love lost between the Saudis and Iranians, so I'm pretty sure they're not shedding a single tear over any harm it's causing the Iranians, whether they're intentional targets or not.

Edited by SoonerLS

$3.29 is the cheapest up here in Alaska :(

Still looking forward to one day paying less than $100 to fill up my Bronco...

Pour some cement in the gas tank.

Course, you may see a bit of a decrease in the distance you can drive on a tank...................................

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

I didn't know 100% gasoline was available anymore. Thought all gas was at least 10% ethanol.

It depends on your location. In Oklahoma and Texas, there are lots of stations that sell 100% gas. There may be other states that have real gas, but those are the only states where I've bought gas since '06 or so..

I didn't know 100% gasoline was available anymore. Thought all gas was at least 10% ethanol.

If you're in the Chicago area, this article provides some info (some of it is outdated/incorrect):

Which brings us to Chicago. Like most of the East Coast metro corridor, much of southern and central California, and a handful of other places, Chicago is an “RFG” area, as is Milwaukee:

The 1990 amendments to the federal Clean Air Act required that “reformulated gasoline” be used in nine geographic areas with the worst smog pollution, to reduce harmful levels of ozone in air. At that time, reformulated gasoline (RFG) had to contain two percent oxygen by weight. Refiners met the oxygen requirement by adding ethers or alcohols that contain oxygen to gasoline. The two most commonly used additives were MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether, which was used in about 87 percent of RFG) and ethanol (which has been used primarily in the Midwest where it is produced from corn).

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/March-2012/Why-Gas-Is-So-Expensive-During-the-Summer-And-Especially-in-Chicago/

The correct info is that the all gas in the Chicago metro must be oxygenated.

The incorrect/outdated info is the idea that other areas can use MTBE. I don't believe that any refinery is using MTBE these days. The government originally backstopped gas stations, refineries and distributors against MTBE contamination (which is particularly nasty, given that MTBE readily combines with water), and MTBE was the preferred oxygenator. However, when the government stopped indemnifying against MTBE contamination, just about every refiner and blender switched to ethanol.

Reminds me of a favorite story. During the gas crisis a guy is pumping gas and asks the owner why his gas was so expensive compared to the station down the street. The owner says what do you mean? He says you're charging $2.50/gallon but the station down the street is only $2.00/gallon. The owner says if his gas is $0.50 cheaper then why are you here? He says because that guy is out of gas.

The owner says "Well if I was out of gas mine would be $2.00 too!"

• Like 1