FUEL grade type for 2.0 EcoBoost

kfengler

Most use 87. There is a slight bump in power and possibly mpg with 93 but usually not enough to justify the added cost.

That's what I was thinking, but also am toying with the idea of getting a Performance Chip but want to wait till I get a few miles on the new car.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

There is no such thing as a chip for Fords. You need a programmer. There are fake "chips" out there that are basically IAT resistors - don't fall for those.

After some research that's what If come to believe. You can't get a 30hp gain or $29. Like you mentioned a fancy box, resister and a little wire!

I've never put anything other than 87 in my 1.6 Ecoboost because my 700 mile weeks do not justify the extra cost.

I'll use Premium, the cost "difference" isn't that much. It may be $3 more for 15 gallons, worth it to me.

I have the 2.0 EcoBoost.

Is the HP increase liner with an increase of octane on the 2.0/1.6/1.5 Ecoboost?

Would an 89/91 midgrade octane increase HP?

It will give you a slight increase but I don't know that it's Linear. I doubt you would be able to tell a difference between 87 and 89/91. 87 to 93 is only a small bump.

I've only had the car for 3 tank fulls of gas so far, the first was regular, the second was premium, and then the third was back to regular.

Now that I've gone back to regular (I was forced to as I was running on fumes at midnight and the only station open was out of premium and mid grade), there IS a noticeable difference. I used to laugh at people that put premium in cars that recommended regular because I'd say "you can't tell the difference!".

Now that I'm back on regular, I find the engine a lot noisier and it's not as responsive.

I agree that if a vehicle is designed to run on REG there's no good reason to use Premium. For the 2.0L EcoBoost, to get optimum performance it is recommended to use Premium. I doubt you can feel a difference in HP, but as you state you notice a difference in other areas.

I'm sure over time the computer adjusts for the grade of fuel that is used, switching back and force over just 3 tank fulls you could notice those differences.

I used to laugh at people that put premium in cars that recommended regular because I'd say "you can't tell the difference!".

Up until a few years ago there was no difference because the computers weren't programmed to advance the timing until it started to knock. Even now that's not true for all vehicles. If the OM says regular with no mention of improved performance on premium then it won't help.

These days just about everything in vehicles is controlled by Computer.
My 2007 Sport Trac transmission, after I had it for 1 1/2 years, didn't want to smoothly shift into 1st as I was coming to a stop. Took it to the dealer, they put a scope on it, wiped the shift program and re-programmed it. Solved the problem for the next 6 1/2 years!