Ford Motor Company March 2015 sales down 3%

But it has to be taken in context. Is it better to have a 5 star crash rating or a 4 star rating with 100 lbs less weight? Is it better to have the quiestest interior or noisy but 100 lbs lighter? TANSTAAFL. Is it worth spending an extra $1K per vehicle to save 200 lbs?

Weight is a factor but it's one of many and outside of high performance sports cars or work trucks it's just not as important as the other things.

I agree. I am an engineer and I understand constraints and priotities. But you get so much bang for the buck by being light its a no brainer. Ford obviously thinks its important as well. I think we will see how much importance Ford puts on lightweighting with their next ground up design.

Edited by Gnostic

And it will be a lot easier to focus on weight savings when you're evolving an existing platform and you're not trying to merge existing platforms and introduce new powertrains all at the same time.

I would expect CD6 to focus more on weight savings.

• Like 1

Do you have anything useful to add to this discussion, or are you going to continue to phrase uncited and subjective comments from third parties as though they were fact?

Below is a cutaway of the 1.6L Ecoboost engine. Cam belt is on the left. The 1.5L Ecoboost unit has a similar configuration, as both engines are part of the same family (Sigma).

The mention of NVH comes from my own evaluation of Escapes and Fusions equipped with these engines, not third party commentary.

800px-1.6ecoboostintakeside.jpg

aneeker, and based on all the trade ins of every make and model we get, I would say NOTHING stands out as substantially better than anything else in terms of ENGINE NVH, now road noise is another issue, and the medias weight darling Mazdas are notorious for it...and THATS the compromise of saving weight due to less sound insulation...then theres the door slam test....but that's Japanese cars as a whole....

The mention of NVH comes from my own evaluation of Escapes and Fusions equipped with these engines, not third party commentary.

Naturally, your evaluation was blinded, controlled, and was performed with more subjects than just yourself.

Because if not, it was still subjective----even if it was not from an uncredited 3rd party.

And presenting subjective evaluations as though they were fact---unless done for humorous effect--is a big no-no around here.

in aneekers defence, there WAS a time when 4 cylinder Japanese powerplants ( most notably Honda ) were markedly smoother and quieter at idle than a similar Ford engine....now days not so much if at all...

Edited by Deanh

When gas prices go down, guess what people don't rush to buy? Compact cars. That is #1 reason for slower Fiesta/Focus sales.

Customer walks in looking at them and then falls for the upsell: "for a few $ more a month, we can put you in a beefier SUV". "Oh honey, we need the space..."

Prices go back above $3 a gallon, mass hysteria ensuses, again.

Edited by 630land

agreed about people not knowing, but word of mouth CANNOT be helping from owners that are having issues...but there IS still an issue, and its costing ford a BUNCH replacing all the clutch plates....the replacements are an improvement, but both of mine still have "quirks"....and NO CVTS please....ugh....AWFUL...a WET DCT is in the works I believe.

Edited by Deanh

If you polled potential buyers I doubt more than one or two out of a hundred know anything at all about the transmission, good or bad.

I agree. I try to keep up with this, and 'til Dean mentioned it, I'd forgotten about the DCT issues. That's the only positive part of the 24-hour news cycle--it may be SHOCKING headlines today, but it's also forgotten tomorrow.

When gas prices go down, guess what people don't rush to buy? Compact cars. That is #1 reason for slower Fiesta/Focus sales.

Customer walks in looking at them and then falls for the upsell: "for a few $ more a month, we can put you in a beefier SUV". "Oh honey, we need the space..."

Prices go back above $3 a gallon, mass hysteria ensuses, again.

This was where the domestics were getting murdered during the $4 a gallon days. It would be irresponsible to not offer competent compacts and hybrids despite excellent truck/suv sales.

It would be irresponsible to not offer competent compacts and hybrids despite excellent truck/suv sales.

Agreed. However I would say that they don't need them on the lot in every country all the time, but they need to have them ready to go if and when the market demands them.

And that's why Ford has the Super Segment that includes Fiesta Compact, Focus Compact, Escape compact crossover,

C-Max Hybrid crossover and Fusion mid-sized sedan. The vehicles are Ford's import fighters but most importantly,

work together with timed incentives to maximize sales depending on market interest at the time. It's a bit like an

economic clock that allows Ford to tailor production and maximize profit.

Edited by jpd80