Cadillac drops ELR price $9k

Anthony

Autoblog

Cadillac has announced a series of updates to the ELR for 2016 that promises to make the plug-in hybrid luxury coupe a more desirable proposition. Perhaps chief among them is a price drop of $9,005 compared to the slow-selling 2014 model. The news follows an announcement yesterday that the Chevy Spark would get a $1,500 price drop.

Full story at link above

Edited by Intrepidatious

65,000 for a tarted up volt, what were they thinking. High price hybrids should do more than save gas

what do you want, a happy ending?

Look, the ELR is a prime example of ridiculous decision making by GM brass, but come on now, save for the hybrid powertrain, the ELR is just another Cadillac, even if it is way overpriced.

Cadillac knew that going in, they chose the price to maximize profit with minimum sales so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

It's as though GM is lying to itself to justify all these expensive little projects that consume time and resources.

What is it with GM that makes it unable to focus on what is important and distracts itself with extravagance.

Were dealing with a culture here that is completely out of step with the real world and worse, customers.

So what has changed post bankruptcy...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Bingo, they just can't outright say that publicly

A compact Volt is terminally flawed, it's a mistake and ELR is GM covering that mistake with an even bigger one.

(Richard Jensen said that years ago about GM - covering mistakes with even bigger ones)

And for those ready to jump in and defend the products, that's not the problem here,

it's GM managements lack of good judgment across so many products that causing problems.

How much contempt for customers is there when GM offers a $40K product for $75K and feigns exclusivity.

Edited by jpd80

A compact Volt is terminally flawed, it's a mistake and ELR is GM covering that mistake with an even bigger one.

(Richard Jensen said that years ago about GM - covering mistakes with even bigger ones)

But it's ok, they're putting Voltec* in the next Malibu!

*a very heavily modified, barely recognizable Voltec

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Something like that has been posted here fairly recently.

I did just discover this hilarious quote in it

The ELR will continue through its lifecycle, he said, however, I dont think we will create a next-generation, compact, two-door, gorgeously styled alternative powertrain successor to ELR.

Trying to sell a car while saying he car is walking the green mile. Now that's hilarious.

Something like that has been posted here fairly recently.

I did just discover this hilarious quote in it

Trying to sell a car while saying he car is walking the green mile. Now that's hilarious.

Sorry - I missed the original posting.

Why would they spend money on improvements for a car that sells as slowly as this one and is going to be axed - probably sooner than later?

So is there any Cadillac product that is:

1 - enthusiastically supported by management

2 - scheduled to continue

Because right now, I don't think you can tick those two boxes for any of their product.

Escalade - GM is considering a 1.2 blliion expansion to the plant to meet demand for the trucks built there.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/barra-and-gm-board-visit-arlington-plant.html/

Escalade - GM is considering a 1.2 blliion expansion to the plant to meet demand for the trucks built there.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/barra-and-gm-board-visit-arlington-plant.html/

Here's the closest thing I've been able to come across in which de Nysschen says something positive about the Escalade:

https://twitter.com/Kelsey_Mays/status/582997113769869313

As we've come to expect from Johan, he's simultaneously insulting his dealers---on the record and in a public forum.

Here's the closest thing I've been able to come across in which de Nysschen says something positive about the Escalade:

https://twitter.com/Kelsey_Mays/status/582997113769869313

As we've come to expect from Johan, he's simultaneously insulting his dealers---on the record and in a public forum.

I'm really beginning to wonder about this guy,

.@Cadillac's Johan de Nysschen: quality > quantity.

Dealers should use low Escalade supply as "template"

to increase trans. $$. #NYAutoForum

We're seeing what Mulally taught Ford being applied the wrong way around.

Restricting supply Versus rightsizing to true market size.

GM does not understand what true market size is, nor do they respect

what Cadillac dealers are trying to tell them about product mix and options.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was GM who built way too many ATS and CTS for the past 12 months

and simply expected dealers to sell these new products at jacked up prices their buyers refused to pay..

DeNyschen suggesting that Cadillac dealers should start gouging Escalade buyers with increased prices

is a recipe for disaster, go build more of them until you're market is right sized, guaranteed ATPs won't slip.

Edited by jpd80

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was GM who built way too many ATS and CTS for the past 12 months

and simply expected dealers to sell these new products at jacked up prices their buyers refused to pay..

DeNyschen suggesting that Cadillac dealers should start gouging Escalade buyers with increased prices

is a recipe for disaster, go build more of them until you're market is right sized, guaranteed ATPs won't slip.

Granted, Johan probably couldn't dial back Alpha production until October-ish (If you give him a month to figure out what was going on, and assume that two months of production was already scheduled). And looking back at the archives, it looks like he did cut production in November: http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/gm-cuts-one-shift-due-to-reduced-demand.html

Still, his comments paint a crudely distorted view of the dealership sales cycle that if honestly spoken suggest that he does not understand a key portion of the business, and if dishonestly spoken represent a truly reprehensible attitude toward the public, his employers and his dealers, as he is playing the first two for fools and deliberately provoking the third.

His idea that dealers should restrict supply-------------as if dealers had a real choice in the matter. Suggesting that the dealers could somehow rectify GM's boneheaded production planning is like suggesting that the solution to a severed artery is a more absorbent bandage.

I'd also note that even after Johan cut Alpha production, they're still overstocked which--again--he doesn't get it, does he?

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Granted, Johan probably couldn't dial back Alpha production until October-ish (If you give him a month to figure out what was going on, and assume that two months of production was already scheduled). And looking back at the archives, it looks like he did cut production in November: http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/gm-cuts-one-shift-due-to-reduced-demand.html

Still, his comments paint a crudely distorted view of the dealership sales cycle that if honestly spoken suggest that he does not understand a key portion of the business, and if dishonestly spoken represent a truly reprehensible attitude toward the public, his employers and his dealers, as he is playing the first two for fools and deliberately provoking the third.

His idea that dealers should restrict supply-------------as if dealers had a real choice in the matter. Suggesting that the dealers could somehow rectify GM's boneheaded production planning is like suggesting that the solution to a severed artery is a more absorbent bandage.

I'd also note that even after Johan cut Alpha production, they're still overstocked which--again--he doesn't get it, does he?

And then there's the issues with actual product mix that is at the heart of why dealers were saying

they can't sell ATS and CTS at those prices, the value perception for buyers is just not there.

The fact that Cadillac's senior man does not get that concept is not surprising at all.

It's just comical to watch, I mean Cadilac is floundering around all over the place,

spending a fortune on dedicated products that are not delivering the expected

combined increases in sales and ATPs. All while the bread winners battle on..

Edited by jpd80