"Off Topic" Seems Silent

It had turned into a personal political argument forum between a few members who were incapable of having a civil debate about the topics without personal attacks. The forum is still open for civil, respectful discussions about political or other topics.

Personally I find the forums much more enjoyable without all that crap.

• Like 4

The soul was beaten right out ofthe "Off Topic" forum.

At least akirby got what he wanted. A dead forum.

Really? Then stop and consider this - when was the Off Topic forum created, and why? Several server iterations later, and the original thread that started it is gone, but A) It was a political thread criticizing the hell out of John McCain when he was running again Barak Obama, B) it was posted in the Employees forum, C) it had a huge response from all sides of the political spectrum, and D) Robert Lane and the mods decided to create a more appropriate forum for such a topic and moved it.

I ought to know. It was my original post.

akiby got what he wanted? Perhaps. But ask yourself, after years of being extremely active on this forum, why the f*ck did I take a three or four year leave of absence from the Off Topic, and indeed, the whole Blue Oval community, only showing up once in a great while?

Because the personal attacks, sanctimony and self-righteousness got to be too f*cking much to even bother to read, let alone participate in.

Now that someone has taken the reins and throttled back some of the vitriol and abusive post, who knows? I may come back and throw out an interesting topic or two. Then again, maybe not.

• Like 1

Because the personal attacks, sanctimony and self-righteousness got to be too f*cking much to even bother to read, let alone participate in.

Bingo.

Some people still seem to forget that this is an automotive forum where people talk about automobiles, not a personal political debate forum.

• Like 1

I would also maintain that the off topic forum is only "silent" compared to when it was out of control. There have been 17 topics created in less than 4 months. That's pretty normal for an off-topic section. There have even been a few political discussions that were relatively civil. But some members don't seem to be happy with civil discussions and would prefer all out fights and name calling.

• Like 1

I would also maintain that the off topic forum is only "silent" compared to when it was out of control. There have been 17 topics created in less than 4 months. That's pretty normal for an off-topic section. There have even been a few political discussions that were relatively civil. But some members don't seem to be happy with civil discussions and would prefer all out fights and name calling.

And the sanctimony and self-righteousness was evident on both sides, although it ran heavier on one side more than the other. I am NOT going to say which side. It doesn't matter. All out fights and name calling is unacceptable, as is the sanctimony and self-righteousness. No one has a monopoly on the truth. You and the other mods handled things the way they needed to be handled. Political discourse isn't supposed to be a contact sport, let alone the Internet version of Spartacus verses the Romans (had to use that analogy - binge watched all four seasons of Spartacus).

• 1 month later...

Personally, I think the off topic forums were great, although infighting became redundant as Akirby stated.

When you are in a union plant constantly being hit over the head with nonsense that ends up being detrimental to your economic health, you should have a different point of view put forth for you to consider. We have seen throughout time what people without alternatives have done, and let us all face it, inside the walls of a union shop, you are constantly bombarded with ideas that most would consider counter productive.

Ideas are to be shared. Nobody has a lock on the best ideas, for if they did we would all be better off consistently then we were before. Would anyone today not take the boom we enjoyed under Reagan or Clinton, as opposed to what we have today? This alone should tell you that a moniker means absolutely nothing. Oh sure, the democrats try to paint the Reagan expansion as smoke and mirrors, just as the republicans paint the Clinton economy as a joke.

Does anyone notice that you are trying to be persuaded (if you were alive at the time) that what you lived through really didn't happen; and if you refuse to go along with this craziness, you are then told that yes, it looked good, but then look what happened down the road.

Sometimes, great people come from either party. Sometimes, we have disasters from both too. All we can do if we are smart, is look back in time and understand that sometimes we need to do one thing, some times the other.

In my humble opinion, we can do whatever the majority of Americans want to do, as long as we PAY for it and quit charging our kids and grandkids for what we want. This is the perfect example of taxation without representation. We are leaving them a bill today that will have them live in a country that does not even resemble the country we live in. They have no say, as the brilliant people in Washington plot their life long course.

It makes no difference which side of the aisle you reside on; it really doesn't. If you want stuff today, figure out a way to pay for it. If you can't, then you are a very weak American.

We can demand everything and anything we want. Now whom among you is willing to say how we are going to pay for it? If you can't pay for it, and if it is not in defense of the country, then you are selfish because you are charging people yet unborn to pay for your ideas.

This is exactly why this "off topic" forum is important. People have to ask how selfish you really are. Look at your children. Is that who you want to saddle with the bills for your ideas?