General Motors launches a new anti-aluminum campaign targeting the F-150

They were the first post of this thread haha

Sorry - don't get out to live TV much - but I love the Mid-summer Baseball Classic.

I only watched 5 innings, but saw that commercial what seemed to be 5 times in two languages! I know it is absurd, as I spent a great deal of my life in manufacturing. However, the ads are certainly effective for the target audience.

Edited by Kev-Mo

I, being a Ford truck owner since my 65 Falcon Rancheo (first car/truck) would really like to see "my brand" be much more aggressive in the advertising

Ford outsells the hell out of chevy and dodge here in Texas despite the other guys rough and tough manly advertising, so I guess FORD doesn't think they need to

Maybe Ford should show a bunch of Chevy owners trying to take off in a steel airplane and crashing.

Or instead of crashing, show a (singular) passenger boarding and finding he is the only passenger. When he asks where everyone else is, the pilot tells him, "your in a steel airliner, this is full capacity." It would highlight the working advantage of aluminum.

• Like 4

Sorry - don't get out to live TV much - but I love the Mid-summer Baseball Classic.

I only watched 5 innings, but saw that commercial what seemed to be 5 times in two languages! I know it is absurd, as I spent a great deal of my life in manufacturing. However, the ads are certainly effective for the target audience.

I'm a big Marlins fan, but I didn't watch the All Star game this year. Once both of our players were out before it started, I didn't have a reason to watch.

And you know some will be swayed by these ads.

You giving up on 'em? :)

Speaking of the All Star game, glad to see the Cincy fans kept it classy by booing the Cardinal players. That's OK, I think all 6 of them enjoyed it. :)

Oh please, I've seasoned far worse than this. I'm not giving up on them now! I'll gladly let Remmy pick one from my collection. I've got enough to go around.

It's all frame of mind for Cincy fans: They lost their collective minds cheering for a fallen legend who is STILL lying to their faces.

Great ballpark though, 2nd best park in Ohio (No, Cleveland's Progressive Field isn't #1).

• Like 1

Rems, I have a CLE cap for you the next time you're up this way, ok? :)

Haha ok. I'll actually probably be in Cleveland for a wedding in October.

Funny, I almost went to Cincinnati/Great American Ballpark last month to watch the Marlins play the Reds there (I'd have visited family in Nashville after), but got sick around the time of the series so didn't end up doing it.

Didn't mean to derail this thread haha...

Yes, Great American Ball Park is a great park. I'm assuming you're referring to Ohio State's football stadium as #1.

Make no mistake, Ohio Stadium destroys most other stadium venues anywhere, for any sport.

BUT, the best ballpark (baseball) in Ohio has to be Huntington Park. Beautiful, classic design, great views from EVERYWHERE (but the bathrooms), and a great downtown location.

• Like 1

Effective how? They might be amusing, but I can't imagine them influencing a buyer on the fence nearly as much as the great bucketloads of cash that GM is dumping on these trucks.

Well, if they ran the same ad 5 times in 5 innings of a major annual sports event, this would imply that the feedback gathered from the GM marketing team indicated that this ad had the most impact on their target customer. I am not saying it has impact on you or me-other than entertainment, but yes to their target customer.

Coors Field - best sunsets in all of baseball! Too bad the team is not as spectacular as our venue!

A side note to how absurd advertising can be - Are marine shark cages not made of aluminum? I think so....

post-13728-0-88578400-1437060242_thumb.png

Edited by Kev-Mo

Well, if they ran the same ad 5 times in 5 innings of a major annual sports event, this would imply that the feedback gathered from the GM marketing team indicated that this ad had the most impact on their target customer.

.....among the ads that they had prepared.

That reminds me of this Lee Iacocca story:

Lee was bragging to Bob Lutz about how the Dodge Dynasty had beaten the Ford Taurus in the company's focus groups. I can't remember if it had also beaten the Chevy Celebrity in aggregate scoring.

However, what the marketing people missed (or ignored in their presentations to Lee) was this:

The Dynasty was basically everyone's second choice. They either ranked cars: Celebrity/Dynasty/Taurus or Taurus/Dynasty/Celebrity.

In aggregate terms, that gave the Dynasty an edge over the Taurus that didn't appear on sales charts because the data wasn't interpreted properly (at least not in presentations to Lee).

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/when-bob-lutz-and-lee-iaccoca-first-met-those-ford-potato-cars-taurus-and-sable-are-going-to-bomb/

(yeah, I'm quoting an anecdote from Bob Lutz........................... sorry)

As that relates to decisions about what ads to run: "Best available" is not necessarily "Best overall"--or even "Good", and data can be misleading!

Edited by RichardJensen

BTW: The biggest unintentional irony from that story is Lutz's description of Lido:

"He was effusive, enthusiastic, expressing his opinions with a firmness that left no doubt in the listener’s mind that these were facts that could not be questioned."

--

He also describes his career future at Ford as 'bleak', which, of course it was, seeings how he basically destroyed Ford of Europe and then conned his bosses into launching Merkur to try and cover up his bungles.