General Motors launches a new anti-aluminum campaign targeting the F-150

Ultimately none of this rhetoric really matters. It's who sells the most trucks that counts.

And if I was in the market for a new truck, I wouldn't buy an F-150 now because it's too new of a design. I'd wait a few years until I could see that that there are no major issues with an aluminum intensive truck like the F-150.

FAEQBM1HFWSTIWF.LARGE.jpg

• Like 2

Ultimately none of this rhetoric really matters. It's who sells the most trucks that counts.

And if I was in the market for a new truck, I wouldn't buy an F-150 now because it's too new of a design. I'd wait a few years until I could see that that there are no major issues with an aluminum intensive truck like the F-150.

FAEQBM1HFWSTIWF.LARGE.jpg

Gah! Look at all that new-fangled plastic!

Much better:

AntiqueWallPhone.jpg

• Like 1

http://www.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303491404579391144135588938

Also, when I want smart commentary on metallurgy and materials science, I can't help but think of Howie Long, former defensive lineman for the Oakland-Los-Angeles-Oakland Raiders, and holder of a degree in Communications from Villanova.

And when I think about GM's criticism of Ford trucks, I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK5TfBelfFg

And this:

2015-chevrolet-silverado-3500hd-model-ov

Instead of a wide step that tucks neatly away, you've got these narrow little footholds that are perpetually visible. Good job GM!!

GM's working on a tailgate step, and it's actually pretty cool. I've seen it. ;)

FWIW, all current Sierras and those Silverados made in the US have Aluminum hoods. The Mexican-built Silverados have steel hoods, for reasons that only make sense to those running GM.

(Last I heard, there weren't even separate part numbers for the 2.)

What? Normally, I'd say "that's preposterous" but I won't, because it's GM. But...how...how does that many even a TINY bit of sense? Are the Mexican-built Silverados sold outside the US?

What? Normally, I'd say "that's preposterous" but I won't, because it's GM. But...how...how does that many even a TINY bit of sense? Are the Mexican-built Silverados sold outside the US?

Isn't one of the challenges of aluminum preventing cross contamination that can cause corrosion/blisters? That was the issue in the past with the Mustang hoods, no? Perhaps the Mexico plant is not set up to prevent such contamination?

Stupidly GM is targeting the F-150, when reality it's the Dodge that is eating into its sales the most. That energy and advertising dollars should be better invested in talking about their product and what makes it different from the competition...well the good attributes, not the OHV knocking engines though.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

According to Automotive News, some auto industry strategists are second-guessing Chevy's decision to attack Ford's body material choice...

The fact that parent company GM uses quite a bit of aluminum in the existing Silverado and is likely to use even more in the next generation makes the attack seem a bit disingenuous.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/07/gm-videos-take-fords-use-of-aluminum-to-task.html

___

The strategy is risky for Chevy, too, says Jim Sanfilippo, an independent marketing consultant and former executive at ad agencies for Ford and Hyundai.

For one thing, it could come off as hypocritical for GM, which uses some aluminum components, including the hood of the Silverado, and is sure to use more in coming years.

GM is expected to make broader use of aluminum on the next-generation pickup -- possibly for the doors and liftgate -- when it arrives in late 2018 or early 2019, sources say.

"If I'm a GM engineer working on the next truck, I'm scratching my head a little bit," Sanfilippo says. "They're probably telling the marketing people, 'Hey guys, you realize we're already lining up our aluminum suppliers, right?'"

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150706/RETAIL03/307069962/chevy-ad-escalates-pickup-war-puts-steel-vs-aluminum-issue-on-the

Sandor Piszar, director of marketing for Chevy trucks, says the video will be included in a social media campaign launching this week. Some content will include head-to-head comparisons of the Silverado and F-150. Other pieces, such as the grizzly bear spot, are "more whimsical and focus on customer perceptions of different materials that are used to build vehicles."

"Our trucks are built with high-strength steel. We think that's a tactical advantage and an important differentiator," Piszar said. He added: "We have a pretty healthy sense of humor about it."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150706/RETAIL03/307069962/chevy-ad-escalates-pickup-war-puts-steel-vs-aluminum-issue-on-the

Um, yeah....whimsically poking fun at customers perceptions about the materials is not a real smart move. I mean, why bother with the facts when you can just rely on the ignorance of your customer base...

I bet it costs more to do that Tom foolery of mixed construction than simply doing an all aluminium unitary body,

Sure, a steel floorpan probably resists drumming in the cabin but I'm sure there are easier ways of doing that..

Edited by jpd80