Continental Confirmed CD4, Built at Flat Rock, Gets LWB Edition in China

The Conti *might* be a big seller in China--

provided their economy isn't in the process of exploding, and provided that there's a lot of interest in what is, I believe, the first D/E (stretch) luxury sedan from a 'global' brand built in China.

"provided their economy isn't in the process of exploding,"

Why are you so doom and Gloom?

Edited by Biker16

"provided their economy isn't in the process of exploding,"

Why are you so doom and Gloom?

I don't know.

Maybe because the Chinese government is encouraging institutional investors to BUY stocks: http://english.eastday.com/auto/eastday/business/u1ai8494515.html

"Following a raft of supportive measures, the CIRC on Wednesday announced that qualified insurance companies would be allowed to invest up to 10 percent of their assets in a single blue chip, up from the previous 5 percent."

And at the same time the Chinese government is prohibiting institutional investors from SELLING stocks: http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/Article/3469532/Daily-Agenda-Chinese-Regulators-Ban-Stock-Sales-by-Large-Investors.html

---

Do those seem like moves that are responsible, sustainable, or panicky? How would *you* describe them.

Does THIS seem like a good idea to you?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-02/china-to-individual-investors-go-ahead-bet-the-house-on-stocks

"real estate has become an acceptable form of collateral for Chinese margin traders"

---

Where do you think this is all going to end?

Edited by RichardJensen

I don't know.

Maybe because the Chinese government is encouraging institutional investors to BUY stocks: http://english.eastday.com/auto/eastday/business/u1ai8494515.html

And at the same time the Chinese government is prohibiting institutional investors from SELLING stocks: http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/Article/3469532/Daily-Agenda-Chinese-Regulators-Ban-Stock-Sales-by-Large-Investors.html

---

Do those seem like moves that are responsible, sustainable, or panicky? How would *you* describe them.

Does THIS seem like a good idea to you?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-02/china-to-individual-investors-go-ahead-bet-the-house-on-stocks

"real estate has become an acceptable form of collateral for Chinese margin traders"

---

Where do you think this is all going to end?

who knows, it's all idle specklation, either way if ford isn't going to invest someone else will, that someone will be the first in benifit When the economy recovers.

Compare Ford in Russia vs Ford in China, which is better long term bet?

who knows, it's all idle specklation, either way if ford isn't going to invest someone else will, that someone will be the first in benifit When the economy recovers.

Compare Ford in Russia vs Ford in China, which is better long term bet?

Firstly, everyone is still waiting for the Japanese economy to 'recover' from 1989--so let's not pretend that a government which is above all else concerned with preventing bad banks and businesses from going under will have a robust recovery.

Secondly, I never said that Ford *shouldn't* invest in China--even if the economy goes completely to pot there are going to be millions of cars sold there, I said that the Continental's prospects could be dampened by a messy economy which hardly qualifies as Cassandra-ing given the bandaids that Beijing is applying to the Shanghai stock exchange and the gigantic pool of margin investors who will be ruined by a market crash (hello 1929!)

Edited by RichardJensen

Firstly, everyone is still waiting for the Japanese economy to 'recover' from 1989--so let's not pretend that a government which is above all else concerned with preventing bad banks and businesses from going under will have a robust recovery.

Secondly, I never said that Ford *shouldn't* invest in China--even if the economy goes completely to pot there are going to be millions of cars sold there, I said that the Continental's prospects could be dampened by a messy economy which hardly qualifies as Cassandra-ing given the bandaids that Beijing is applying to the Shanghai stock exchange and the gigantic pool of margin investors who will be ruined by a market crash (hello 1929!)

what about russia?

A quick note about China: Barclays downgraded VW and GM based on diminished prospects in China, and both company's reliance on China for their financial results.

GM generated 40 percent of its net income and 20-30 percent of its operating cash flow in China last year, according to Barclays.

what about russia?

Who cares. It's not relevant. It's a straw man argument to a tangential discussion regarding stretch Conti prospects in a country with a stock market that appears to be teetering on the verge of collapse and a government bent on preventing that at all possible costs.

Edited by RichardJensen

They may not even sell a D class Ford sedan in the U.S. - it's a shrinking market. I could see replacing it with a LWB Fusion with a larger trunk.

I've said it a few times before.....at that point, you've basically make the new Taurus....the one that's already been developed. Just doesn't make sense to me. The thing is done, why would you not sell it here?

I mean if the argument were (before engineering/development was done on either) "should we invest in/develop a new completely different Taurus based on CD4, or should we just do a LWB Fusion," then sure, I could side with doing a LWB Fusion and calling it a day. But they've already done the new Taurus. Now you want to put more money into making a LWB Fusion?

Who cares. It's not relevant. It's a straw man argument to a tangential discussion regarding stretch Conti prospects in a country with a stock market that appears to be teetering on the verge of collapse and a government bent on preventing that at all possible costs.

You don't think Russia is in similar position either way, you don't plan based upon the unknown.

China is fine, because they don't have a free market economy, the government will do what it must to keep things going and industry cannot afford to ignore the largest market in the world.

Lincoln is in the most recession resistant segment in the industry, you would be foolish not to invest in a product like the LWB Continental or Any Lincoln product in china.

China is fine, because they don't have a free market economy, the government will do what it must to keep things going

If I were the sort of person to put quotes in signatures, that would be a leading candidate right there.

Also, please point out the exact instance where I said that Ford should not be investing in China.

You don't think Russia is in similar position either way, you don't plan based upon the unknown.

China is fine, because they don't have a free market economy, the government will do what it must to keep things going and industry cannot afford to ignore the largest market in the world.

Lincoln is in the most recession resistant segment in the industry, you would be foolish not to invest in a product like the LWB Continental or Any Lincoln product in china.

Which is why Ford is heavily investing the Lincoln brand in China. Same goes for higher end Fords as well.

If I were the sort of person to put quotes in signatures, that would be a leading candidate right there.

Also, please point out the exact instance where I said that Ford should not be investing in China.

you never Said "Ford should not be investing in China."

Exactly. Which makes remarks like this:

"you would be foolish not to invest in a product like the LWB Continental or Any Lincoln product in china"

nothing more than empty straw-man argumentation.

what?

you went somewhere, I wasn't.

my comment was directed at your focus on the Storm clouds of doom and despair.

Buddy, you carry an out-of-context quote from me in your signature.

My standard assumption with you is that you neither read nor comprehend what I write here.

You have demonstrated the basis for that assumption once again.

yet every-time I post everything surrounding that quote, it supports the Quote. under what context would that Quote every make sense?

you Opinion of the transit goes back over decade, the funny thing is OUR transit other than Enigines and transmission isn't much different than the EU transit was 12 years ago.

it just shows how far behind the E-series was.

I've said it a few times before.....at that point, you've basically make the new Taurus....the one that's already been developed. Just doesn't make sense to me. The thing is done, why would you not sell it here?

Because the current one will do just as well as the new one (maybe better) and the future for the Taurus in NA is either non-existent or it will be CD6, not CD4.

There's no other reasonable explanation I can think of.