Toyota's Troubles

Front page story in Friday's WSJ. Toyota recalled more 05 vehicles last year then it sold. and 06 is not looking much better. We will see how much press this picks up. Also as was posted on another thread, the Journal also had a comparison of new Expedition EL and the Suburban. Expedition came out on top! Two bits of good news in one issue!

As a whole the auto industry fails us customers, auto companies are more concerned with managing the numerous components in the car, then delivering the system as a whole.

Toyota is learning through going multiple suppliers speed != quality. To be fair, its not Toyota's overall system design isn't failing, such as having a wiring harness in the same place that hot fluid could hit it... Its the components that they're purchasing. Suppliers are hawking speed over quality, and its a trend that I see continuing.

Yeah, next week during Labor Day weekend when gas DOES hit $4 per gallon, talk to me all you want about Full Size SUV's, they'll STILL be sitting on the lot, no matter whether its a Ford, GM, Toyota, etc...

As a whole the auto industry fails us customers, auto companies are more concerned with managing the numerous components in the car, then delivering the system as a whole.

Toyota is learning through going multiple suppliers speed != quality. To be fair, its not Toyota's overall system design isn't failing, such as having a wiring harness in the same place that hot fluid could hit it... Its the components that they're purchasing. Suppliers are hawking speed over quality, and its a trend that I see continuing.

Yeah, next week during Labor Day weekend when gas DOES hit $4 per gallon, talk to me all you want about Full Size SUV's, they'll STILL be sitting on the lot, no matter whether its a Ford, GM, Toyota, etc...

actually, the WSJ article goes into detail that it is Toyota's system that is failing. The article speaks to flaws in Toyota's design tools and processes.

Ford has a problem and it's because of Ford. Toyota has a problem and it's because of outside suppliers...right, ok. Nice spin.

Gas prices here locally have been dropping for some time and currently are around $2.49 gal. So you could be WRONG about that too. I guess there is a chance the price could double in 5 days, but not likely.

Wanna make a bet on that?

Buddy of mine down at the Sunoco says Thrusday before Labor Day prices, $3.79. He's got the truck coming in Wed night. Already got his finger on the switch. He's just as scared as I am.

So maybe not $4, but I'll take the spread on that one.

Ford has a problem and it's because of Ford. Toyota has a problem and it's because of outside suppliers...right, ok. Nice spin.

Gas prices here locally have been dropping for some time and currently are around $2.49 gal. So you could be WRONG about that too. I guess there is a chance the price could double in 5 days, but not likely.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

It's $2.86 cheapest down here in south Florida! $2.49, you lucky SOB!

Wanna make a bet on that?

it won't hit anywhere near $4 but there will be a 10 or 15 cent "bounce" across the nation no doubt. crap I almost forgot Labor Day's just about here (thanks to this post), better fill up.

paid 3.05 for regular last week that's a few cents below the norm here. better get it before the spike

Well depending on the Hurricane season and how it plays out, I'd expect gas to trend lower towards October or so...reason being is that Enthonal will be phased out till next spring, and Enthonal is already over $4 bucks a gallon which is adding to gas prices. I know Gas is down about 20 cents or more in the past 2-3 weeks in my area. I've heard reports of regular being 2.67 around where I work at..I haven't found the station yet, but I did pay 2.74 last week...but yet there are places 20-30 miles away still at the 3 dollar mark.

Wouldn't surprise me to see it spike in the next few days. Hurricane Ernesto is all the ammo the speculators need. Stand by.

Ernesto is only a tropical storm now,might be a weak CAT 1 storm before hitting the florida coast. Mainly looks like a heavy rain event. Florida needs the ran,so this ought to be a good soaking for them.

No threat to the gulf oil platforms

Edited by rc38

Thanks for the uplifting news Bob! Do you think with Ford's current woes they will get back into class 8? I'm doubting it right now.

Joe, I would say that is on the back bujrner for sure. I actually wonder about class 6 and 7 too. It would not vbe too dificult for them to pull the plug on that I would imagine. then again, in class 3 to 7, no one comes close to Ford in total sales. Granted 6 and 7 are a small part but at least in 6 they are the leader.

I welcome with open arms which ever Hurricane we get. We do need the rain, it's been an unusually dry year for us, even the lake out back is a few feet lower than what it should be.

I'm also in the process of remodeling my house towards the end of the year, so if we can all have a group prayer, so we get a really juicy one here in central FL.... I would really appreciate it so my insurance helps out.