First Test: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS [MotorTrend]

jpd80

2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-V-8-homepage.jp

Someone’s Listening.
MotorTrend
October 15, 2015
By: Christian Seabaugh

A couple months ago I was running a Cadillac ATS-V hard up through the canyons of Malibu, California, tailing a BMW M3 and a Mercedes-AMG C63 S as part of a comparison test. I was having a blast in the twin-turbo V-6 monster but couldn’t shake the feeling that something was missing: a V-8. It’s safe to say that the team behind the sixth-gen 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS was a step ahead of me.

Based on the lightweight Alpha platform bones of the Cadillac ATS but with a 1.4-inch wheelbase stretch, the new 2016 Camaro SS features the one thing the ATS-V lacked. Replacing the LS3 V-8 from the previous-generation Camaro is a Chevy small-block V-8, the new Corvette Stingray’s LT1 6.2-liter V-8 making 455 hp and 455 lb-ft of torque—a 29-hp and 35-lb-ft bump from the outgoing Camaro’s LS3. In between that lovely V-8 and the rear wheels is a slick six-speed manual transmission; a fast-shifting eight-speed automatic is optional.

Full article available at link.

I wonder if the Camaro SS's $37K sticker price will cause a few problems,

that's around $5,000 more than the Mustang GT.

Even though Camaro SS buyers may not be interested in actually buying one,

even suggesting interest in Mustang GT should be good for a sizable discount....

I wonder if the Camaro SS's $37K sticker price will cause a few problems,

that's around $5,000 more than the Mustang GT.

Even though Camaro SS buyers may not be interested in actually buying one,

even suggesting interest in Mustang GT should be good for a sizable discount....

IMO, these are not cross shopped. If you want a Camaro SS that's what you're buying. Same with the Challenger.

• Like 1

Most would probably spring for the turbo or the V6 which performance numbers rivals 93' LT1 Z28 for the 4 and 02' z28 for the v6.

GMI posters in the know tell me that V6 Camaro out sells the V8 versions by 3 to 1.

so it will be interesting to see how sales are split across the 2016's three engines,

the 2.0T, a V6 that starts at $27K and a V8 SS that starts at $37K

Edited by jpd80

GMI posters in the know tell me that V6 Camaro out sells the V8 versions by 3 to 1.

so it will be interesting to see how sales are split across the 2016's three engines,

the 2.0T, a V6 that starts at $27K and a V8 SS that starts at $37K

That's the kind of sales split that kept the Mustang alive through the 90s

He meant 3 to 1 v6 to V8

Correct, that also explains why there are still so many Zeta V6 Camaros in inventory (approx 14,500)

Watch when Chevrolet starts selling 2016 Camaro, I bet the numbers are inflated by heavy incentives 2015s..

As we expect GMI's outspoken members are really stomping on Mustang, implying GT is almost a second slower

compared to '16 Comaro SS's 12.3 second quarter mile..... I thought a '15 Mustang with 3.7 RA pulled a 12.7?

we all know GM has history of press cars being probably faster than regular production vehicles, I'm hoping we get

a proper side by side test of both cars with either standard gearing and or preferably, the lower ratios with sports packs,

shame GT doesn't get close ratio box too as I'm sure something is up with the wide ratio box and 3.7 gear set not working

as well together as the former Boss' close ratio box..

Edited by jpd80

There was no I4 Mustang in the 1990s though....wasn't it like 60/40 V6-GT?

They did up to 93.

Point being, the Mustang survived when the Camaro & Firebird died because of base engine model volume.

If GM learned their lesson, the Camaro may avoid another death.

How fast is a Mustang GT if you add $5K in upgrades? GT starts at $32K. SS starts at $37K.

And honestly, it doesn't matter which one is a tick faster to 60 or on the track. It only matters for internet bragging rights and bench racing.

I've seen reports of the Ecoboost Mustang running sub 12 second times with tunes and bolt ons....

How fast is a Mustang GT if you add $5K in upgrades? GT starts at $32K. SS starts at $37K.

And honestly, it doesn't matter which one is a tick faster to 60 or on the track. It only matters for internet bragging rights and bench racing.

I ran 12.4 @ 119 MPH in my automatic '13 GT with long tube headers and a tune. Stock 3.15 gears, 245 All Season Tire & full weight (fully equiped Premium model with the glass roof). And that was without even trying, I'm no drag racer I just went to a Test & Tune night for fun.

• Like 2