PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

StangTV...LINK

There was one engine sitting in the Ford Performance PRI booth that almost went overlooked.
You wouldn’t know it from a standard Aluminator XS, that is, until you read the spec sheet in
front of the engine. The A52XS engine is derived from the M-6007-A52XS part number.

Partially GT350 and 2015 GT parts, the A52XS boasts power capabilities of over 570 horsepower
through its 317 cubic inches.

More at story link above.......

We took a 5.0-liter Coyote short-block – put the GT350 heads, cams, and intake on it
and picked up 100 horsepower – Mike Delahanty

We are working on some other ideas. Maybe we can get some more displacement out of
this engine with more stroke – Mike Delahanty, Ford Performance

This photo best illustrates exactly how well the GT350 cylinder heads paired with the Cobra Jet
intake manifold work on a standard 5.0 Coyote. The additional 15 cubic inches and half a point
of compression is what makes the additional 41 horsepower on the 5.2-liter.

2015-12-12_16-26-27.jpg

2015-12-12_16-26-39.jpg

2015-12-12_16-26-57.jpg

Shame there's no crate FPC mill, though obviously keeping it a GT350 exclusive is important. I remember after the 5L Cammer crate motors hit I ran into one of the Powerblock guys from Spike at a car show and just about begged him to do a project car with one. Eventuay they did an F5 '33 with a Coyote.

Richard, As you would expect, they made changes due to the use of the cross plane crank,

they changed the camshafts to work with the conventional crankshaft in both the 5.0 and 5.2 packages.

With those changes to cam head and intake, the 5.0 Coyote picked up 100 hp and the 5.2 Coyote another 41 hp on top of that.

Which sort of makes the GM 6.2 look rather sedate, I wonder if we wll see an upgraded Mustang GT and GT350 in the near future..

Edited by jpd80

Thought you were an expert on all this?

I am, and I think I'll take another 6 year sabbatical from this site if no one else wonders WHY all the contortions were made to get a flat plane crank installed in a Mustang when all that could be negated and surpassed by old-school head, intake, and cam changes.

That's because you're missing the obvious.....

Hint: the 5.2 FPC is being "held back" at the top above 6500 rpm where it's already making ~480 HP.....

And why would that be? According to the graph on the right, above, as near as I can tell, that regular old V8 with the regular crank, is making 500HP at only 5,000 rpm.

Who wants to be driving around at 7,000 rpm all day? Power lower in the register, especially when it's the same amount of power, does the job just as well.

I am, and I think I'll take another 6 year sabbatical from this site if no one else wonders WHY all the contortions were made to get a flat plane crank installed in a Mustang when all that could be negated and surpassed by old-school head, intake, and cam changes.

What do you suppose that flat-plane crank is capable of when it's not carrying a factory warranty and street emissions?

I mean, you realize you're comparing crate motor outputs to a production engine that has to be warrantied for a period of years, emissions certified, and so on and so forth

• Like 1

Horses for courses , some folks like high revving FPC engine

while others love the thump of more torque and horsepower at lower revs.

Take your choice but don't blame Ford for delivering different engine characteristics

on the one engine platform, I think this is the most remarkable development of V8s

in recent times.

Edited by jpd80

And why would that be? According to the graph on the right, above, as near as I can tell, that regular old V8 with the regular crank, is making 500HP at only 5,000 rpm.

The engine is actually making 400 hp at 5,000 but I get your point.

What can I say, some buyers like GT350 with FPC as a track and fast road car

while no doubt a future Coyote 5.0 or 5.2 will deliver power to GT / Cobra Jet / Boss 302

in the lower rev range, perhaps making things a lot tougher for a certain Camaro..

Not so long ago, the Boss 302 was making 440 hp at 7400 but now the GT5.0 does almost that at 1,000 fewer revs.

Now take what we know about today's FPC 5.2 power level and move that into a more usable 500 hp 5.0 Coyote.

I think that's when the 6.2 Camaro will begin to struggle...

Who wants to be driving around at 7,000 rpm all day? Power lower in the register, especially when it's the same amount of power, does the job just as well.

And, who want's to be driving around at 7,000 rpm all day?

why, those who can, the rest just wish they could and by all accounts, that 8,250 red line is quite addictive

which probably sums up why on earth anyone would pay a premium to get a sweet high revving engine.

Edited by jpd80

The new Flatplane also makes for good marketing....

Precisely, it's something different without the engine being completely different.

To deny a high revving variant because you have no interest in it is ignoring

a whole side of the engine potential that Mustang's competitors can't match,

the absolute thrill of an engine that feels like it goes on forever....

Also, I like what was hinted at with adding stroke to improve power even more,

could we finally see a 5.0 or 5.4 that's more than a match for the 6.2 Camaro SS.

GM has shown their hand with the NA car and only have 1LE option to go.

The Z 28 will be much later...

Edited by jpd80