Ford to replace aging research, engineering campus in Mich. with $1billion high-tech product complex

In the mid-1950’s, the Glass house was thoroughly modern. A quote by columnist George Will probably sums up the Glass House best, “a sleek glass-and-steel minimalism that characterized up-to-date architecture in the 1950’s, when America was at the wheel of the world and even buildings seemed streamlined for speed.”

Even though I was a little kid when the Glass House opened in 1956, I remember touring it. The even had a Galileo exhibit in the lobby as I recall.

It needs to be restored to flatter it's design a bit better, but it's curtain-wall construction is still very contemporary today and the new buildings are somewhat evocative of the glass house. I still object to the new atrium (which the building has always needed) but I hope it comes with new glass throughout the building and much better interior lighting. I do think it's interesting that they are getting rid of American Rd and the circular driveway and parking lot at the entrance to the building which will really de-emphasizes the main entrance and front facade. But I'm glad to see so much green space, too bad they couldn't submerge the parking.

Edited by BORG

I'm happy the white collars are getting coddled. Maybe they can design some quality back into our vehicles instead of some of the half-hearted attempts lately.

Meanwhile, the building next to mine was built in the 1930's. The roof leaks terribly every time it rains, doesn't have proper ventilation and can reach 120+ degrees easily during the summer. Glad I got out of there.

I'm happy the white collars are getting coddled. Maybe they can design some quality back into our vehicles instead of some of the half-hearted attempts lately.

I think the new facilities in Dearborn will help Ford recruit fresh engineering and managerial talent, which may positively impact Ford product quality in the future.

• Like 2

From what I can tell, and what I've heard, Ford is retaining all of their existing properties. They will be demolishing buildings they will no longer be using and repurposing the land for other uses.

If you mean the land under the buildings, yes

If the video showing building disappearing and reappearing, total re-designed, is accurate, a couple of buildings do NOT change. The Dynamometer Lab building, Fuel System Engineering Lab buildings and Ford Research and Innovation Center building. FRIC (former Research Lab) was completely rebuilt about 15 years ago. The other two I mentioned are true "test lab" buildings. Very little "people space", so if one of the goal is to improve the employee experience, well, there just aren't that many employees in those buildings.

The other buildings I could not tell if they were going to be rebuilt are Building #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5 along Rotunda Drive. Building #2 is newer that Research Lab, so it might stay, but the other are pretty old.

The other buildings not being rebuilt are Ford Research Lab (a.k.a. EEE, a.k.a. POEE) and all of the "track side" buildings. The front 1/3 of FRL was remodeled just last year (the other 2/3 are not currently in use).

Edited by theoldwizard

I would really like to see a schedule of what is going to be torn down and replaced in what order. I know on a long term project that is going to be "fluid", but I would like to know where they are going to start.

Parking is terrible there, so I expect at last one of the parking structure will be an early build.

I would really like to see a schedule of what is going to be torn down and replaced in what order. I know on a long term project that is going to be "fluid", but I would like to know where they are going to start.

Parking is terrible there, so I expect at last one of the parking structure will be an early build.

The video with Mark Fields mentioned that infrastructure would be the first addition, including parking structures.

If you mean the land under the buildings, yes

If the video showing building disappearing and reappearing, total re-designed, is accurate, a couple of buildings do NOT change. The Dynamometer Lab building, Fuel System Engineering Lab buildings and Research Lab building. Research Lab was completely rebuilt about 15 years ago. The other two I mentioned are true "test lab" buildings. Very little "people space", so if one of the goal is to improve the employee experience, well, there just aren't that many employees in those buildings.

The other buildings I could not tell if they were going to be rebuilt are Building #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5 along Rotunda Drive. Building #2 is newer that Research Lab, so it might stay, but the other are pretty old.

The other buildings not being rebuilt are Ford Research Lab (a.k.a. EEE, a.k.a. POEE) and all of the "track side" buildings. The front 1/3 of FRL was remodeled just last year (the other 2/3 are not currently in use).

Track side is being updated. Wind Tunnel 2 is being torn down as we speak. One of the old airport hangars is next.

Meanwhile, the building next to mine was built in the 1930's. The roof leaks terribly every time it rains, doesn't have proper ventilation and can reach 120+ degrees easily during the summer. Glad I got out of there.

Office space/admin buildings at all the plants are being updated, looks like OAC is up first. The plants themselves are a different story.

All the new buildings seem to be in or near the footprint of the main R&E facility so I'm curious how they are going to be able to pull this off.

It actually started last year when they remodeled the historical Ford Research Lab (a.k.a. EEE, a.k.a. POEE). Only about 33% of the building was remodeled and currently houses the electric vehicle group, <1,000. They could remodel the rest of the building as that building held >2,500 (uncomfortably) at its peak. It was mentioned last year that the building would be used for "temporary" relocation.

This isn't quite a complete overhaul of the campus, many aging buildings remain after the completion date.

From the video, the only building NOT getting replaced are Dynamometer Labs and the Ford Research and Innovation Center which is about 15 years old. I'm not sure about the Engineering Computer Center (about 20-30 years old) and Building #2 (< 10 yo).

Ford's Campus has LONG been a hodgepodge of aging and neglected buildings, It's amazing they've achieved what they have on that campus. The Glass House is a fairly bland form of Mid-Mod, not much to showcase there but it's worth maintaining as is. The new atrium puts a big scar on the building that to me looks like a fire-escape.

Common on ! It is not THAT bad ! Some areas are pretty rough (the tunnels between Building 1, 3 and 5).

Edited by theoldwizard

The video with Mark Fields mentioned that infrastructure would be the first addition, including parking structures.

That is going to be tough for current employees. Obviously some existing parking lots will have to close and parking is already at a premium unless you want to walk for 30 minutes from your car to your desk.

I don't understand the e-bike thing. There are probably <200 days/year when you could use them and unless you have a back pack you can really carry anything. An updated replacement of the pedestrian tunnels, with people mover, would make more sense.

Edited by theoldwizard

It is not that they currently have buildings they are NOT using. It is all about putting more people closer together in a modern working environment.

Right. By default, that means some building currently being used may no longer be used and demolished.

(We pretty much said the same thing ;) )

Yep, that's what I got out of it too. Converting a lot of area to 'green space'.

Some of the best take away from this, I thought. Basically keeping land away from developers or other and letting it be "natural". Also "improving access" to the green space for employees is great.

• Like 2

Some of the best take away from this, I thought. Basically keeping land away from developers or other and letting it be "natural". Also "improving access" to the green space for employees is great.

The land would have very little value for "developer". Most of it butts up against small (~1000 sq ft) houses. Zoning restriction limit the height (5 stories ?). There us very little "green space" and what is there is not "inviting"; just grass and a few trees.

Talking to some one who knows people that are in engineering directly (Service) they were told they would eventually be moved from their offices in Allen Park (across Rotunda from the Lions practice facility) to this new facility. This would give Ford Land more generic office space to rent out.

The land would have very little value for "developer". Most of it butts up against small (~1000 sq ft) houses. Zoning restriction limit the height (5 stories ?). There us very little "green space" and what is there is not "inviting"; just grass and a few trees.

Talking to some one who knows people that are in engineering directly (Service) they were told they would eventually be moved from their offices in Allen Park (across Rotunda from the Lions practice facility) to this new facility. This would give Ford Land more generic office space to rent out.

More and more of those houses are getting huge additions as the Lebanese still have large family's. I wonder what is going to happen to the areas around Allen Park and Dearborn once this is done. Lear's old facility is empty at Ford and Southfield. The Commerce Drive north area is deserted, the area on Lundy had Oakwood Hospital offices but with the merger they are slowly leaving, only thing back there anymore is Carhartt, the shopping plaza was basically replaced by the one on the Hill. There is still the field where the QMP building was at Southfield and Rotunda (though there was talk of Lifetime fitness going there) I also saw they are moving a bunch of people into Fairlane Mall in the old Lord and Taylor, which has been talked about for years after the mall went to crap that Ford was going to take it over and put offices there. The old Dearborn high school in West Dearborn is vacant, and the old Hyatt is also being talked to get a flag but nothing has happened and it gets worse and worse. Dearborn even moved City Hall across form world headquarters into an abandoned office building and the old United building is empty as well.

It's good that Ford is investing in Dearborn, but most everyone else in the Auto Industry has gone to Oakland County over the past 20 years. Also this is a 10 year project, so I wonder how much will actually happen and how much will get put on hold in the next downturn.

Someone whined "they are taking workers from another suburb"

Would they rather have Ford with dated facilities leading to loss of profits? Then whole company could go down, duh.

Ha!

We all know Ford couldn't survive without Tax credits from the Taxpayers.

Edited by Biker16

Ha!

We all know Ford couldn't survive without Tax credits from the Taxpayers.

Sure they could. They would just charge more for their cars, and then the taxpayers would pay it in price for cars instead of taxes.

Every automaker gets tax credits to build here, or produce there, or yada yada, as do many businesses. Those tax credits are then made up in property taxes, income taxes, etc. to that county/city/state.

Geez, we've been through this before. Why is that concept so difficult for you to understand?