“We’ve got to place big bets” (Bill Ford, Jr.): OK, Then Launch An Electric (Not Hybrid) Mustang!

I didn't know much about Lucid so I took a look at them. I like the car even if a bit Tesla like. If they could benefit from their tech this seems like a no brainer to absorb them to me. I agree with RMC that it should immediately be turned into a Lincoln platform. It looked like they could easily Lincolnize the Air for the most part. This would be a pretty bold and exciting move for Lincoln that could trickle out to Ford.

JPD, no, there were Hybrid versions of the Silverado, it wasn't just start/stop. If memory serves there were two generations - the initial one was a mild hybrid, but then there was a "2-Mode" Silvy using the same hybrid system as the Tahoe, which was co-developed with BMW(who never used it) and DaimlerChrysler (Who made like a dozen hybrid Durangos).

Those older 2-mode hybrids were terrible ofn fuel economy by comparison to what we expect.

From memory they were something like 22 mpg city and 22 mpg highway - an improvement

in city fuel consumption but worthless when it came to highway economy improvements and

moving the needle in terms of CAFE... .

It may have been wonderful in city traffic but in all other open running conditions, most people

wouldn't notice any improvement over a conventional Silverado.

Edited by jpd80

I also remember full hybrid pickups and they had a CVT transmission too.

I'm curious, which truck would that be?

GM called their Silverado 1500 hybrid transmission a 2-mode EVT Hybrid 4-speed Shiftable automatic...

That made it sound way more than a 4-speed auto with a drive motor in place of the torque converter.

Edited by jpd80

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/powertrain-pro/introduction-gms-2ml70-two-mode-hybrid-transmission

The GM 2ML70 2 Mode Hybrid system first appeared as a 2008 model in the Chevy Tahoe and the GMC Yukon and was followed by the Cadillac Escalade in 2009. The 2ML70 moved into the Silverado and Sierra 1500 series pickups, with all models using the 6.0 Liter gas engineThe 2ML70 transmission is a four speed rear drive which can be configured in a two or four wheel drive application. The 2ML70 does not use a torque converter; it uses a dampener assembly to smoothly transmit power from the engine flywheel to the transmission.

The 2ML70 uses a vane type pump with the dampener housing as the pump body. This system utilizes stop/start technology and therefore has a 12 volt auxiliary pump to keep the 1-2 clutch primed any time the engine shuts down.

The 2ML70 also utilizes three planetary gear sets, two rotating clutch packs and two fixed clutch packs. In addition it has two 60 kW electric motor/generators which can drive the vehicle on electricity only and can also recharge the 330 volt hybrid battery pack.

The transmission operation is controlled by a Transmission Control Module (TCM) which is located inside the transmission and the hybrid systems operation is controlled by the Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) located under the hood.

And if you want to buy one -- https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/707279545/overview/

Edited by jasonj80

I'm curious, which truck would that be?

GM called their Silverado 1500 hybrid transmission a 2-mode EVT Hybrid 4-speed Shiftable automatic...

That made it sound way more than a 4-speed auto with a drive motor in place of the torque converter.

I looked it up and that's it, but when it was in production, even the auto mags said it was a CVT.

Interesting article. I've long thought how unfortunate it is that Ford never innovates but traditionally only reacts to Market pressure.

I have been retired from Ford Engineering for over 10 years no, but your statement was clear even back then, I would also add that Ford seem content to buy technology these days instead of designing and building it themselves.

I also want to repeat that (IMHO) Ford IT is still more of a liability than an asset. From people who work there, they are more likely to say "You can't do that !" than "How can we help you achieve your goal ?" That attitude will NOT reduce development time.

• Like 1

I also want to repeat that (IMHO) Ford IT is still more of a liability than an asset. From people who work there, they are more likely to say "You can't do that !" than "How can we help you achieve your goal ?" That attitude will NOT reduce development time.

If it is like anywhere else, IT has its own set of issues its dealing with. You have to support the end user, maintain the infrastructure,make sure your complaint with regulations and plan for future upgrades. The biggest issue is that IT isn't a light switch like some people think it is and it needs massaging to work properly. I'm sure some general laziness factors into this also...but that is my perspective from working at much smaller manufacturing facility that operates at different scale then Ford does.

I live this every day. It's a constant struggle between funding, security and standards. You have to pre-fund IT before you need it which usually involves capital. If you don't forecast enough clients have to wait. If you over forecast you waste money. That's why usage based public clouds are so popular. And then there is security.

I imagine Ford like most older companies is still trying to use legacy IT processes and tools that were designed around IT projects taking weeks or months rather than minutes or days. It's a hard thing to change especially if it's spread out in multiple organizations. It takes a concerted effort and commitment from the executives to make this happen.

post-22831-0-88697000-1503493675_thumb.gif

• Like 1

I live this every day. It's a constant struggle between funding, security and standards. You have to pre-fund IT before you need it which usually involves capital. If you don't forecast enough clients have to wait. If you over forecast you waste money. That's why usage based public clouds are so popular. And then there is security.

I imagine Ford like most older companies is still trying to use legacy IT processes and tools that were designed around IT projects taking weeks or months rather than minutes or days. It's a hard thing to change especially if it's spread out in multiple organizations. It takes a concerted effort and commitment from the executives to make this happen.

I'm living this every day with the added twist of having two different companies merged into one and wearing two other semi-related hats that could be full time positions themselves.

It also doesn't help that the place I work at was a mom and pop shop a few years back and didn't have a change/configure management processes in place...and they can't locate important data or are using completely out-dated ERP systems that need to go away by December of this year.

Then add in user kickback since they have to learn a new system or use something that is cobbled together to get some functionality out of the data they need, and its a major PIA.

attachicon.gifdilbert Mordac.gif

And that when Job protection starts to rear its ugly head with certain managers quoting longer lead times

and hoping their superiors aren't wise to how long things really take. On the down side, outsourcing then

seems easier than solving internal issues and we see inefficient sections closed and loss of control as

those projects go external.....

I looked it up and that's it, but when it was in production, even the auto mags said it was a CVT.

And they got it wrong, it wasn't CVT but EVT as in Electric Variable transmission.- a cunning play on words by GM.

All they did was take a regular 4-speed auto and replace the torque converter with an electric motor - that's not a CVT

Edited by jpd80