Lincoln's freshened 2019 MKC gets new mesh grille, tech

Mark X was used on a concept car as well. Mark IX was in 2001, Mark X in 04.

Mark XI it is!

I always liked the Mark X concept......actually I liked all of their concepts from the early 2000s.....it's a shame they didn't get built - makes you wonder what would've happened with the brand if they had actually made some of them (and whether it'd be better off or not).

• Like 1

I always liked the Mark X concept......actually I liked all of their concepts from the early 2000s.....it's a shame they didn't get built - makes you wonder what would've happened with the brand if they had actually made some of them (and whether it'd be better off or not).

The way they were running things at the time, they would've ended up on the scrap heap with Mercury. Lincoln was a mess in the early 2000s.

I never understood why Lincoln didn't stick with the 60s theme and evolve it. How could they let go of a design language that iconic, distinctive, and timeless? Decades later, Lincoln was in desperate need to find a distinctive, youthful look. What Gerry McGovern did was common sense. Anybody within Ford Design could have brought those changes. There was no need to hire a big shot stylist and pamper him to death.

Woodhouse was actually involved with many of those concepts, so there might be a chance this new look will adopt some cues from the 60s Continental as it evolves.

• Like 1

I never understood why Lincoln didn't stick with the 60s theme and evolve it. How could they let go of a design language that iconic, distinctive, and timeless? Decades later, Lincoln was in desperate need to find a distinctive, youthful look. What Gerry McGovern did was common sense. Anybody within Ford Design could have brought those changes. There was no need to hire a big shot stylist and pamper him to death.

Woodhouse was actually involved with many of those concepts, so there might be a chance this new look will adopt some cues from the 60s Continental as it evolves.

I also liked the Continental concept in 2002....it's a design that could've been evolved.....I too wouldn't be surprised to see at least some elements of some of these concepts appear in some fashion.

I also liked the Continental concept in 2002....it's a design that could've been evolved.....I too wouldn't be surprised to see at least some elements of some of these concepts appear in some fashion.

Judging by the interior design of the new Navigator and the wheel designs, Lincoln seems to be flirting with futuristic design. They don't seem to be too concerned with embracing designs from its past.

The next several years will be interesting.

It would make sense to jump to Mark X, as Mark IX was applied to a concept car. If Microsoft and Apple can jump from 8 to 10 (Windows and iPhone), there's no reason Lincoln can't.

No it doesn't make sense to skip Mark IX because the concept cars were not production cars. The first Continental and the subsequent Mark II through Mark VIII were all production cars.

Edited by StangBang

Judging by the interior design of the new Navigator and the wheel designs, Lincoln seems to be flirting with futuristic design. They don't seem to be too concerned with embracing designs from its past.

It is time to let go of all the notions of retro design. We need to see progessive bold artistic designs that makes a statement about the future. What we don't need is more copies of Bentleys with Lincoln grilles and lamps. If they cannot come up with original designs then they just need to pack up and go to the scrapyard in the sky. Edited by StangBang

The basing concepts (proportions, orientation, detail finishing) will continue to derive from MidMod design sensibilities, but don't expect to see any egg crate grilles or opera windows.

It is time to let go of all the notions of retro design. We need to see progessive bold artistic designs that makes a statement about the future. What we don't need is more copies of Bentleys with Lincoln grilles and lamps. If they cannot come up with original designs then they just need to pack up and go to the scrapyard in the sky.

That’s what Caddy did with Art and Science and it didn’t play out well.

They aren't copying the old designs, but there's no doubt there's inspiration from older models - with a low, wide, clean dash. That's what I meant when I said pulling elements from those concepts/older models - I didn't mean full out retro/copies of them. Navigator is definitely a big step forward, and I expect future models to follow that general theme inside. The good thing is too that it's a pretty unique look in today's market.

The problem is that design language got played out far too quickly.

Agreed. In general, I've always found that more angular designs with sharp creases don't age as well as designs with more flowing, organic curves. They've refined it, and it does look nicer now, but it's still an "old" look. They're finally starting to change design themes with the Escala concept.

Just look at how horrible the first-gen CTS looks when you see one now, yet at the time it was a decent looking vehicle.

They aren't copying the old designs, but there's no doubt there's inspiration from older models - with a low, wide, clean dash. That's what I meant when I said pulling elements from those concepts/older models - I didn't mean full out retro/copies of them. Navigator is definitely a big step forward, and I expect future models to follow that general theme inside. The good thing is too that it's a pretty unique look in today's market.

Agreed. In general, I've always found that more angular designs with sharp creases don't age as well as designs with more flowing, organic curves. They've refined it, and it does look nicer now, but it's still an "old" look. They're finally starting to change design themes with the Escala concept.

Just look at how horrible the first-gen CTS looks when you see one now, yet at the time it was a decent looking vehicle.

I find that any design extreme whether a car is too angular or too organic does not age well. The best cars always seem to be a blend of various harmonious elements.Late model Cadillacs are a main offender with too many flat surfaces and angles while the 96-07 Taurus is a main offender of too soft. Edited by StangBang
  • Like 1

I find that any design extreme whether a car is too angular or too organic does not age well. The best cars always seem to be a blend of various harmonious elements.Late model Cadillacs are a main offender with too many flat surfaces and angles while the 96-07 Taurus is a main offender of too soft.

That's a fair point. Didn't think about that.

The Escala looks like a regrilled Audi with vertical taillamps.

I am more about the concept Elmiraj look.

I forgot about the Elmiraj I actually liked that one too. At any rate, they're moving full steam ahead with the Escala design language for their next round of vehicles.

That's a fair point. Didn't think about that.

I forgot about the Elmiraj I actually liked that one too. At any rate, they're moving full steam ahead with the Escala design language for their next round of vehicles.

Escala already has a front end/grille look very similar to existing new Mazdas and a few new Buick-Opels so I really don't see the Escala as a specific new look. Just homogenous.

It's an A U D I L L A C

_

Edited by StangBang

Escala already has a front end/grille look very similar to existing new Mazdas and a few new Buick-Opels so I really don't see the Escala as a specific new look. Just homogenous.

It's an A U D I L L A C

_

It's a new look for them. Perhaps more derivative in the overall marketplace, but new to them.

What's wrong with the forum double posting all the time lately??

Do you click "post" again if it's slow?