California Lawsuit

Get this: 90 percent of the greenhouse effect is from..............WATER VAPOR! You can find this on the Internet. But why don't you hear about this? Because, as the alarmists say, it's just not mentioned! Because then nobody would be alarmed! And 90 percent of the CO2 in the air comes from...........HUMAN EXHALING! This whole global warming scare is a scam to take money out of your pockets via higher gas prices, higher tuneup costs, higher AC repair bills! You see it was just too easy to buy, maintain and repair a car so they had to come up with some kind of scam! If the earth is getting warmer it's simply a warming trend and has nothing to do with fossil fuel burning! The reason why California seems to be the hardest hit is because the air as it passes over California has been cooled by the Pacific Ocean and this keeps the exhaust from cars/factories from rising and dissipating! Try THAT theory out!

Is it any wonder how California got a reputation as a land of crackpots and nutjobs?

I mean, this is tantamount to Ford launching a new car called the "Transmission Eater", that proudly boasts that it will gnarl its own gears several times in the first 20,000 miles.

Nothing like reinforcing a stereotype.

And why isn't California suing GE (builder of unregulated diesel locomotives), every single utility from Otter Tail Power Company to Con-Ed, and every ship builder and global shipping concern that runs diesel freighters around the world. Not to mention P&O Princess/Carnival Cruise lines, or the owners of feedlots full of farting cattle (plenty of them in Bakersfield).

IIRC, Cars are responsible for, aggregate, 20% of all CO2 emissions in this country.

T-w-e-n-t-y frickin p-e-r-c-e-n-t.

And no source of CO2 emissions, let alone air pollution in general is regulated as rigorously as the automobile.

So California (the state) is suing the big 7?

------------------------------------------------------

Wow. Why not sue the tobacco companies for the cost of cigarette butt cleanup from the sides of highways.

Why not sue individual drivers for using their cars.

Why not sue CHiP for using all them Crown Vics.

Why doesn't the state just sue itself, because I can about guarantee that there is not a single private fleet of motor vehicles in the state of California that is larger than the state's motor pool.

Which means that on a vehicular level, the state of California is probably the single greatest emitter of CO2 in the state of California.

Edited by RichardJensen

There you go. Just how much CO2 does California want to put an end to?

Or are they going after the automobile industry because that's elective pollution, as opposed to powerplants and all that, which are necessary?

PS: if Jeremy Clarckson is right (I know weak source) - a train - even if electric powered - pollutes MORE PER PASSANGER than a car with a single person in it - this includes the pollution that it takes to greate the electricity.

I wish I had his source - so I could cite it - instead of a car nut whi never misses and chance to crap on public transportation - but well - I do not have his source - so take it for what it's worth.

igor

Sad part is, California sets forth their own standards for vehicular emissions that all car manufacturers have to meet in order to sell in their state (thus the california emissions packages you see). Now, these seems to me to be the states way of telling the automakers what's allowed and what isn't.

The car makers met those requirements, and thus their vehicles are able to be registered in California.

Now, California goes back and sues the automakers for producing vehicles that meet or exceed their own stated emissions standards for making vehicles that have emissions in the first place.

If the judge doesn't kill himself laughing before he tosses this case out of his court with prejudice, then he's as crooked as the rest of the california politicians and it should die in appeals when someone with some sanity might have a say on the matter.

This case is so far beyond rediculousness that I can't even imagine it even being tried.

California should sue themselves over the poor state of the roads.

They collect more in taxes than the auto companies receive in profits from the sale of a vehicle and collect more in taxes from fuel sales than the oil companies make and tax tires,parts, etc. And then they have the nerve to charge taxes every time the vehicle is resold. The streets should be made of gold.

The easiest most effective way to significantly reduce vehicle pollution would be to bring the roads up to the standard of the auto. How much pollution is caused every day in California when millions of vehicles are tied up in traffic jams for hours? Or poorly desiged traffic lights, 4 way stops, etc. I wonder what the cost and increased pollution from just one unneccessary 4-way stop? the roads are still 1960s technology and nothing has been done to modernize them.

It is much easier for the government to enact legistlation requiring the auto companies to increase mileage and decrease pollution while the government itself does nothing to modernize the road system.

Is it any wonder how California got a reputation as a land of crackpots and nutjobs?

I mean, this is tantamount to Ford launching a new car called the "Transmission Eater", that proudly boasts that it will gnarl its own gears several times in the first 20,000 miles.

Nothing like reinforcing a stereotype.

And why isn't California suing GE (builder of unregulated diesel locomotives), every single utility from Otter Tail Power Company to Con-Ed, and every ship builder and global shipping concern that runs diesel freighters around the world. Not to mention P&O Princess/Carnival Cruise lines, or the owners of feedlots full of farting cattle (plenty of them in Bakersfield).

IIRC, Cars are responsible for, aggregate, 20% of all CO2 emissions in this country.

T-w-e-n-t-y frickin p-e-r-c-e-n-t.

And no source of CO2 emissions, let alone air pollution in general is regulated as rigorously as the automobile.

So California (the state) is suing the big 7?

------------------------------------------------------

Wow. Why not sue the tobacco companies for the cost of cigarette butt cleanup from the sides of highways.

Why not sue individual drivers for using their cars.

Why not sue CHiP for using all them Crown Vics.

Why doesn't the state just sue itself, because I can about guarantee that there is not a single private fleet of motor vehicles in the state of California that is larger than the state's motor pool.

Which means that on a vehicular level, the state of California is probably the single greatest emitter of CO2 in the state of California.

This is politics and a power play between the state and federal authority. Who has the the authority to regulate fuel economy? This is a back door challenge to the new Light Truck CAFE requirements. CA/CARB has already filed a motion against the federal government challenging language in the new truck CAFE requirements where federal law/regulations preempts the states.

"In mandating federal fuel economy

standards under EPCA, Congress has

expressly preempted any state laws or

regulations relating to fuel economy

standards. A State requirement limiting

CO2 emissions is such a law or

regulation because it has the direct

effect of regulating fuel consumption.

CO2 emissions are directly linked to fuel

consumption because CO2 is the

ultimate end product of burning

gasoline."

Edited by evok

This is politics and a power play between the state and federal authority. Who has the the authority to regulate fuel economy? This is a back door challenge to the new Light Truck CAFE requirements. CA/CARB has already filed a motion against the federal government challenging language in the new truck CAFE requirements where federal law/regulations preempts the states.

"In mandating federal fuel economy

standards under EPCA, Congress has

expressly preempted any state laws or

regulations relating to fuel economy

standards. A State requirement limiting

CO2 emissions is such a law or

regulation because it has the direct

effect of regulating fuel consumption.

CO2 emissions are directly linked to fuel

consumption because CO2 is the

ultimate end product of burning

gasoline."

Like I said , stop selling cars in California........

Anyone know why California has all the lawyers and New Jersey has all of the toxic waste....

Jersey got first pick.

That's too funny!! :lol:

Here's something that there was only a very slight mention in the media about and there's more than one study floating around... including one from NASA.

The Sun is warming...

Duke study...

NASA study...

Personally... I think it's cyclical. And, though we should be responsible we truly can't expain why it's occuring. Science can only formulate theory and hypothisize.

There are more people on the planet than at any time in human history and if we all quit driving, flying, shipping, and manufacturing tomorrow there's no guarantee that the warming will cease.

Edited by therealmrmustang

This lawsuit is moronic. My TAX DOLLARS are being wasted for this travesty. Note to the rest of the country: THIS is what happens when you let DEMOCRATS run the show. They don't have enough money in Sacramento to finance their ever-expanding spiral of giveaway schemes so they come up with garbage like this.

The Democrats control the state Legislature here and it's nothing short of breathtaking to see what they want to do with my tax money. As far as I am concerned San Francisco needs another eight point sixer to drop all of those hippy liberal wastoids into the ocean where they belong.

Sad part is, California sets forth their own standards for vehicular emissions that all car manufacturers have to meet in order to sell in their state (thus the california emissions packages you see). Now, these seems to me to be the states way of telling the automakers what's allowed and what isn't.

The car makers met those requirements, and thus their vehicles are able to be registered in California.

Now, California goes back and sues the automakers for producing vehicles that meet or exceed their own stated emissions standards for making vehicles that have emissions in the first place.

If the judge doesn't kill himself laughing before he tosses this case out of his court with prejudice, then he's as crooked as the rest of the california politicians and it should die in appeals when someone with some sanity might have a say on the matter.

This case is so far beyond rediculousness that I can't even imagine it even being tried.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

Sad thing is the insane cases make it to trial and the morons win. Remember the speeding drunk that was driving an Explorer with no seatbelt, Ford was liable because he went through the glass when he rolled it .