Mustang Mach E price drops for all models but GT

29 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

F1 is unwatchable. Every week Lewis Hamilton goes into turn ONE with the lead and race is over. He can have degrading tires with 5 laps to go and still wins easily. F1 has to figure out a way of making races competitive. There is no drama. 

If I wanted to watch a parade I would DVR the thanksgiving day parade or rose bowl parade and just watch that. It would probably be more interesting. NASCAR is turning into that too with this stupid super high downforce package they insist on shoving down our throats. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2020 at 3:38 PM, rperez817 said:

But it would be better if Ford maintained and operated the charging stations for its BEV owners, just like Tesla does with its Superchargers, for a more consistent customer experience.

Lawrence Ulrich at Autoblog wrote about his experience using a Electrify America/ChargePoint DC Fast Charge station with a Mustang Mach-E he is testing. https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/24/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-chargepoint-electrify-america/

"

I stuck the charger’s heavy, bulky cord into the Mach-E’s fender-mounted port. The station instantly recognized a “Ford owner” with FordPass, and the charge initiated automatically, without me having to futz with a thing. My phone’s FordPass app began tracking the charge. This is going to be great, I thought: Child’s play, just like charging a Tesla.

If only. Working on my laptop in the driver’s seat, I looked up after 10 minutes, and realized (according to both the app and the Mach-E’s driver’s display) that I’d only added nine miles of range to its 88 kWh, 376-cell lithium-ion battery — nowhere near the 47 miles in 10 minutes that Ford is touting via these 150-kilowatt, Supercharger-style stations.

Hopping from the driver’s seat, I saw the charger screen insisting electricity was being delivered at 74.2 kilowatts. That was only about half the 150-kilowatt rate touted on the machine’s placard, and I would have happily taken it. The actual trickle of juice going into the Ford was 20 kilowatts at best; a fraction of the expected rate, and only about twice as fast as a piddling, 11-kilowatt Level 2 home charger. Ambient temps were in the 40s, and there are always some transmission losses from electrical resistance and heat (typically on the order of 10 to 20 percent) but this was ridiculous.

I plugged into another outlet. Then I moved the Mach-E to another charger further down the row. Next, I called EA’s customer service, where a rep named Justine — working out of Auburn Hills, Mich., the former site of VW’s North American HQ — couldn’t have been more helpful. Justine even rebooted one of the chargers to see if we could pick up the glacial pace. But no dice, fuzzy or otherwise. Justine couldn’t offer any real explanation on what was up, instead promising to get the tech department on the case.

My reporter’s curiosity piqued, I eventually plugged the Mach-E into five of the 10 working outlets, hopping back-and-forth from the driver’s seat into a steady rain, and becoming steadily more frustrated. No matter which plug I tried, the alleged “fast charger” delivered the same weak stream, adding about one mile of range for every minute on the plug. The convenience-factored price of 43 cents per kWh was stiff as well, more than three times the national-average rate of 13.2 cents per kWh for home electricity. If I had hung around long enough, adding 220 miles to the Ford’s “tank” would have cost about $30, more than the price of unleaded gasoline in an SUV that slurps at 20 mpg.

Ultimately, I cut my losses after more than 90 minutes (including time wasted switching plugs), five outlets and a pathetic 76 miles of added range, barely enough to drive for an hour on the highway. I pulled out of Target with the Ford’s battery boosted by 40 percent, showing 136 miles of range — plenty for my trip home to Brooklyn, but again, nowhere near Ford’s claim of a charge from 10% to 80% in 45 minutes.

Of course, one driver’s experience at one bank of chargers isn’t an indictment of the entire network that Ford has partnered with, rather than going the Tesla route and building one of their own. But while I’ve had good experiences at both ChargePoint and EA chargers, I’ve encountered a distressing number of their chargers that are out of service, unable to initiate a charge, or underperforming in charging rates. In contrast, though I’m hardly a regular user, I’ve never plugged into a Tesla Supercharger that didn’t work, first time, every time.

As I wrote in my review, the Mustang Mach-E is one impressive EV, one that stands tall against the Tesla Model Y in most competitive measures. But Tesla’s foresight and investment in its own proprietary network remains a key competitive advantage, right up there with its edge in electric efficiency and range.

While I was standing in the rain at Target, twiddling my thumbs, I had ample time to mull that over — and realize that Ford and the rest still have some catching up to do." 

56 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Lawrence Ulrich at Autoblog wrote about his experience using a Electrify America/ChargePoint DC Fast Charge station with a Mustang Mach-E he is testing. https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/24/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-chargepoint-electrify-america/

Wow, that is an eye opener. Thanks Perez. Valuable info for those thinking about BEV. Charging and charging time still a big issue. And whether traditional auto dealerships are willing to make the commitment to sell, service, and fast charge them. Every Ford dealership should have many fast Charger stations. 

I know Varsity Ford(Ann Arbor) sold a lot of C-Max Energi models and had a few chargers right out front. They seemed commited. Don't know how many Ford dealers are truly ready for Mach E and F150 electric. For that matter, don't know which dealers can deal with hybrid battery warranties and replacement/reboot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Wow, that is an eye opener. Thanks Perez. Valuable info for those thinking about BEV. Charging and charging time still a big issue. And whether traditional auto dealerships are willing to make the commitment to sell, service, and fast charge them. Every Ford dealership should have many fast Charger stations. 

I know Varsity Ford(Ann Arbor) sold a lot of C-Max Energi models and had a few chargers right out front. They seemed commited. Don't know how many Ford dealers are truly ready for Mach E and F150 electric. For that matter, don't know which dealers can deal with hybrid battery warranties and replacement/reboot.

My concern with this is, how many of those charging stations will be behind locked gates when the dealership is closed?  In my area, the majority of dealership facilities and lots are closed-off overnights and Sundays.

HRG