Another new V8 ?

21 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Also has rubber timing belt and oil pump belt that must be changed at 150,000 miles

Kind of a bummer if that breaks.  Not sure it is a big deal, though, as plenty of vehicles have timing belts.  Just part of the regular maintenance cost.  The old Yamaha 3.0L SHO needed a timing belt and valve shim adjustment at 60k.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

I'd think that the Bronco could be a candidate for a V-8, either the Coyote or upcoming 6.8l. It's an enthusiast vehicle that can support  a massive upcharge necessary for selling a V-8, its close competition has V-8 options (Wrangler and Defender), and this could support its own "family" that they appear to be going for.

Maybe fuzzy can test fit one on the line to see if it fits.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Also has rubber timing belt and oil pump belt that must be changed at 150,000 miles

What has those? AFAIK, the Coyote and RWD EB35 both have timing chains (Tasca shows chains for both), and the Coyote's oil pump is driven directly by the crankshaft. Or am I misunderstanding what you posted?

Edited by SoonerLS

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

What has those? AFAIK, the Coyote and RWD EB35 both have timing chains (Tasca shows chains for both), and the Coyote's oil pump is driven directly by the crankshaft. Or am I misunderstanding what you posted?

I was mislead by false intel, 2021 coyote still has timing chains but now has an external oil pump driven by a belt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

They’ve got to slow that oil pump down. The former oil pump was 1:1 with crankshaft speed. That becomes a real liability at elevated revs. You’re way over pumping oil and bypassing too much of it the old way. 

Did you notice what they did on the 7.3L?  Looks like they had the opportunity to slow the chain drive oil pump down, but it appears it's a 1:1 ratio to the crank or awfully close to it.  Since it's a variable displacement pump guess it doesn't matter too much.  And BTW those are the cheapest looking timing chains I have seen in a long time!  Not even roller.

• Like 1