Jump to content





LHB

2018 Auto Hold

Recommended Posts

Several months ago I noticed on a 2019 ‘loaner’ Navigator that the Auto Hold function ‘remembered’ what it was set to when the vehicle was last turned off. Researching 2018 Owners Manuals on Lincoln website I found these:

====================================================================

2018 Lincoln Navigator Owners Manual 09/19/2017 on-line

 

 

Press the button to switch the system on and off. The indicator light illuminates when you switch the system on.

Note:   You can only switch the system on if you close the door and fasten your seatbelt.

Note:   The system turns off every time you power down your vehicle.

Note:   The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle.

Note:   When in reverse (R), Auto Hold does not function.

 

———————————————————————————————————————

2018 Lincoln Navigator Owners Manual

Third printing 07/27/2018 (page 230)

   WARNING: The system will turn off if a malfunction is apparent. Failure to take care may result in the loss of control of your vehicle, serious personal injury or death.

The system uses your vehicle's brakes to hold your vehicle at a standstill after you stop your vehicle and release the brake pedal. For example, Auto Hold can assist you while stopping at traffic lights or while in traffic jams by holding the brake pressure for you once you bring your vehicle to a stop.

Make sure you switch the system off before towing with your vehicle.

Note: In case of a malfunction in the system while Auto Hold actively holds the vehicle (for example, low power supply), a message appears in the information display asking you to press the brake pedal. If you see this message, press the brake pedal immediately.

Note: The system only activates if it recognizes it is applying enough brake pressure. On a steep hill or slope, make sure you press the brake pedal sufficiently to activate the system.

Note: In some cases, Auto Hold might hand over to the parking brake. When the parking brake applies, the red brake lamp appears. This is normal. When you press the accelerator pedal, the drive away release feature releases the parking brake.

Note: Auto Hold works on all road grades.

E256165

Press the button to switch the system on and off. The indicator light illuminates when you switch the system on.

Note: You can only switch the system on if you close the door and fasten your seatbelt.

Note: The system turns off every time you power down your vehicle.

Note: The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle.

Note: When in reverse (R), Auto Hold does not function.

When the system is off, your vehicle behaves the same as a vehicle without Auto Hold.

There is an indicator lamp in the instrument cluster that has two modes, active and unavailable:

   E197933

The auto hold active indicator illuminates in the information display when the system holds

your vehicle stationary. When in active mode, press the brake pedal and the Auto Hold button to switch the system off.

 Navigator (TB9) Canada/United States of America, enUSA, Edition date: 201708, Third-Printing-

——————————————————————————————————————

First Printing & Second Printing did not have the 3rd ‘Note:’

=======================

After being told by my dealer several times the didn”t think they had seen it work that way in a 2018 and didn’t know any way to make it work that way I finally sent a letter to Lincoln Concierge about this issue and also my steering wheel memory ‘forgetting’ it’s vertical  position which the dealer had ‘checked out’ several times but could not duplicate or fix.

So the dealer then, in conjunction with the Concierge, had my Navigator for nearly 2 weeks (I had a brand spanking new, less than 50 miles on it, 2021 Navigator Reserve loaner).  This time they said they replaced BCBM module.  It’s been a few weeks without loosing steering wheel memory ... I’m feeling like that is fixed.  The work order addressed the ‘AUTO HOLD’  with ‘working as designed’ comment.  I’ve not heard from the Concierge since before my Navigator was returned.  My service advisor said something about they may have updated the 2018 Owners Manual for 2019 (Auto Hold) but put it out as 3rd printing 2018 ... Not sure I buy that. I’d still like an explanation from Lincoln as to why the manual should not be trusted, or at least corrected ... or make the vehicle operate as stated in the manual.   
Any one else have issues like this?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have one of the first 2018s built and the system most definitely does not remember my Auto Hold setting. I feel like a fighter pilot every time I get into the car as I start it and then turn on Auto Hold and turn off Idle Engine Shutoff (whatever it's called). Don't know if that changed in later software revisions.

 

I'm taking delivery of my 21 Nav within the next couple of weeks (it's on its way to the dealer) and will let you know if the 21 remembers the setting.

 

Also, note 2 and note 3 are in conflict. You can't have it both ways (unless the manual means that Auto Hold won't work when the engine is off, but that is a bit of a nonsensical statement).

 

Checked the 21 manual online - notes 2 and 3 are both there.

Edited by HofstraJet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a later production 2018. It does not remember the last setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you turn it on all the time?  Are you in stop and go traffic every day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

I have one of the first 2018s built and the system most definitely does not remember my Auto Hold setting. I feel like a fighter pilot every time I get into the car as I start it and then turn on Auto Hold and turn off Idle Engine Shutoff (whatever it's called). Don't know if that changed in later software revisions.

 

I'm taking delivery of my 21 Nav within the next couple of weeks (it's on its way to the dealer) and will let you know if the 21 remembers the setting.

 

Also, note 2 and note 3 are in conflict. You can't have it both ways (unless the manual means that Auto Hold won't work when the engine is off, but that is a bit of a nonsensical statement).

 

Checked the 21 manual online - notes 2 and 3 are both there.

Actually I do not consider notes 2 & 3 in conflict. The Auto-Hold button on the console ‘enables’ the functionally much like having the radio on ‘enables’ the radio to play IF it is tuned to a station.  If Auto-Hold is ‘enabled’ AND you apply the brakes to a stop it Holds.  When you turn the vehicle off the radio turns off and if the brakes are Auto-Holding they stop Auto-Holding (Note 2). When you start the vehicle next time if the radio was on when last the vehicle was turned off it is again on.  According to Note 3, the Auto-Hold function should be ‘enabled’ (but the brakes will not be engaged).  Enabling Auto-Hold provides for brakes to be held when applied much like enabling (turning on) the radio allows hearing station if tuned to the station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, akirby said:

Why would you turn it on all the time?  Are you in stop and go traffic every day?

Yup.  I only drive ~5,000 miles a year mostly suburban driving around NW Harris County (Houston) TX.  Start-up routine is Start Engine, AutoStop off, AutoHold on, GO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LHB said:

Yup.  I only drive ~5,000 miles a year mostly suburban driving around NW Harris County (Houston) TX.  Start-up routine is Start Engine, AutoStop off, AutoHold on, GO

 

I have more situations where I don't want it on and want to let it creep forward with the brake off than situations where I want to use it.  I also like auto stop/start.   To each his own I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly where in the 2018 production mine was built, but it does not stay on for me either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reporting back on this - the 21 works exactly like the 18: when you turn the engine off, Auto Hold and Auto Start/Stop are both turned off and must manually be turned on next time you start the vehicle. If anyone knows of a setting to keep either or both of these enabled between starts, please let me know. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you mean auto stop/start is turned on when you restart.  Forscan may or may not work.

 

I still don’t understand why you’d want to use auto hold all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the point of auto hold. Start/stop I get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use auto hold quite often.

  • It keeps the brakes on when stopped so you don't have to keep your foot on the brake pedal - good for a long red light.
  • It holds the vehicle on a hill until you hit the accelerator pedal.
  • When a light turns green you don't have to move your foot off the brake pedal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the brake lights stay on until the Auto-Hold is released?

 

HRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MKC4ME said:

It holds the vehicle on a hill until you hit the accelerator pedal.


That’s hill start assist not auto hold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Do the brake lights stay on until the Auto-Hold is released?

 

HRG


Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the brake lights stay on just like you still have your foot on the brake pedal - I recall red reflection off of something behind me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't understand the point of auto hold. Start/stop I get. 


It makes sense if you’re creeping along in stop and go traffic so you don’t have to keep your foot on the brake all the time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, akirby said:

I think you mean auto stop/start is turned on when you restart.  Forscan may or may not work.

 

I still don’t understand why you’d want to use auto hold all the time.

 

You are correct - I meant auto stop/start is turned back on. I have to manually turn it off each time the vehicle starts.

 

As to why I use auto hold all the time, I’m in a bit of a unique situation as I am disabled and use hand controls. Thus, auto hold allows me to rest my left hand while stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, akirby said:


It makes sense if you’re creeping along in stop and go traffic so you don’t have to keep your foot on the brake all the time.  


I've never found that to be a problem, ever. Even when I was driving a stick every day I never found it to be a problem. 
 

I'm finding more and more that I no longer fit in with these times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, HofstraJet said:

As to why I use auto hold all the time, I’m in a bit of a unique situation as I am disabled and use hand controls. Thus, auto hold allows me to rest my left hand while stopped.


Ok in that situation it totally makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:


I've never found that to be a problem, ever. Even when I was driving a stick every day I never found it to be a problem. 
 

I'm finding more and more that I no longer fit in with these times. 


Nobody said it was a problem, just a convenience like cruise control, auto wipers and headlamps, etc.

 

You’ll also feel differently as you get older.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the sales guy described the auto hold feature my thought was "That's dumb, who would use it?" Now after 2.5 years my thought is "Why doesn't every car have this?" I use it every time I drive the SUV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably just me then, I'm the Luddite I guess. I don't even like using lane keep assist, I find it to be way too intrusive, especially when entering and exiting the freeway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's probably just me then, I'm the Luddite I guess. I don't even like using lane keep assist, I find it to be way too intrusive, especially when entering and exiting the freeway. 

I find that when the Lane Departure / Lane Keeping is ‘intruding’ on me it is telling me I’m about to cross into an adjacent lane unintentionally or without proper lane-change signal.  I’m ok with the alert/reminder it provides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LHB said:

I find that when the Lane Departure / Lane Keeping is ‘intruding’ on me it is telling me I’m about to cross into an adjacent lane unintentionally or without proper lane-change signal.  I’m ok with the alert/reminder it provides. 


I turn my blinker on to exit the freeway and the damn lane departure warning tries to force me to steer in the opposite direction the off ramp is curving. Numerous times I'll be following the curve of the road and it will just randomly start fighting me to try to keep the wheel straight. Happens all the time so I just stopped using lane keep assist all together. I would honestly pay extra to have the option removed. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×