Jump to content

The Ford Order Tracking System Is No Longer Available.  THANKS Cyberdman For Making Available All Of These Past Years.  More Here.

Sign in to follow this  
road turtle

Maintenance Plan for F350D

Recommended Posts

For the first time in my life, planning to get extended warranty, looking at 6/100,000 (given I'm working from home miles is probably too much).

 

I didn't even know there was a maintenance plan available.  I've been changing my own oil for decades, so this is a new one.  Looking at the cost of fuel and oil/oil filters, this looks to be pretty close to net zero.

 

Thoughts on the maintenance plan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, road turtle said:

For the first time in my life, planning to get extended warranty, looking at 6/100,000 (given I'm working from home miles is probably too much).

 

I didn't even know there was a maintenance plan available.  I've been changing my own oil for decades, so this is a new one.  Looking at the cost of fuel and oil/oil filters, this looks to be pretty close to net zero.

 

Thoughts on the maintenance plan?

I was told it’s the actually costs of services over the plan picked with a 15% discount locked in at today’s labor rates. I think the savings is probably huge if you do the basic service yourself, ignoring the value of your time. Not may discounts on them either. There are some national dealers that sell thousands of service plans and you can order through them no matter where you got your truck. They have quotes online you can use against your local dealer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mbrooks44 said:

I was told it’s the actually costs of services over the plan picked with a 15% discount locked in at today’s labor rates. I think the savings is probably huge if you do the basic service yourself, ignoring the value of your time. Not may discounts on them either. There are some national dealers that sell thousands of service plans and you can order through them no matter where you got your truck. They have quotes online you can use against your local dealer. 


The problem is those plans include all of those “checks and inspections” that aren’t really necessary.  Same reason dealers charge $300 for a service where all you really need is an old and filter change.  Far cheaper to just have them do the actual required services which is t much other than oil and filter changes and tire rotations for the first 100k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. When I looked at the schedule, most of the expensive tasks were after most plans ended. If I do the oil/filters myself I can pay for the expensive service and still be ahead. Having to take it in for an oil change is as annoying as doing it myself, but without beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For factory extended warranty, go with Flood Ford.

 

They sell the factory warranties online, for just over cost (they make $ in volume).  All the F150 guys buy the warranty from Flood Ford.  Purchased on 2 trucks as well.  My local Ford dealer covers everything under warranty no problem.

 

I did give my local dealer the opportunity to price match Flood Ford, but they said their F&I guy wont do it less than $500 over cost, so recommended I get the Flood Ford one.  Again, they sell the factory extended warranty, not an aftermarket warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PK250 said:

For factory extended warranty, go with Flood Ford.

 

They sell the factory warranties online, for just over cost (they make $ in volume).  All the F150 guys buy the warranty from Flood Ford.  Purchased on 2 trucks as well.  My local Ford dealer covers everything under warranty no problem.

 

I did give my local dealer the opportunity to price match Flood Ford, but they said their F&I guy wont do it less than $500 over cost, so recommended I get the Flood Ford one.  Again, they sell the factory extended warranty, not an aftermarket warranty.

100% agree. I wish there was a deal on the maintenance ones as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mbrooks44 said:

100% agree. I wish there was a deal on the maintenance ones as well. 

 

I see the maintenance on the website. Are you saying that they are not discounted the same or as much?

 

I don't typically ever buy warranties, but for the diesel, they actually seem pretty reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

 

I see the maintenance on the website. Are you saying that they are not discounted the same or as much?

 

I don't typically ever buy warranties, but for the diesel, they actually seem pretty reasonable.

I was told the prices should be pretty consistent between dealers, but I haven’t compared them at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen the prices on Flood's site, and they seem reasonable.  I will take information to my dealer to see if they will match, but not too optimistic.  I believe that there was another dealer mentioned on the Ford Tremor Forum that had competitive pricing as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does performing your own basic maintenance, ie. oil and fuel filter changes not void your factory warranty?  I figured there would be some clause in there that states regular maintenance must be performed by certified ford tech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tupelof250 said:

Does performing your own basic maintenance, ie. oil and fuel filter changes not void your factory warranty?  I figured there would be some clause in there that states regular maintenance must be performed by certified ford tech.

I don’t believe it can, but I’d suggest being able to prove it with receipts or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OEM's don't require you use their repair shops for service, but you will want to retain receipts to prove you had (or did it yourself) work was completed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mbrooks44 said:

Another popular dealer: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

 

Thanks for the response....Flood is almost $300 less. So far I haven't found anyone with better pricing. My dealer said  they couldn't come anywhere close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

 

Thanks for the response....Flood is almost $300 less. So far I haven't found anyone with better pricing. My dealer said  they couldn't come anywhere close.

Good to know. Thanks for the reply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding ANY extended warranty, read carefully what is NOT covered !

 

Ask questions, like an oil line breaks and the engine explodes is it still covered ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theoldwizard1 said:

Regarding ANY extended warranty, read carefully what is NOT covered !

 

Ask questions, like an oil line breaks and the engine explodes is it still covered ?

 

The warranties we are looking at are Ford ESP and I am looking at the premium care which is the most extensive coverage. This is not something that I would normally consider, but for just under $3,000 for 8 yr/125K miles for a F350 diesel gets me a little interested.

Edited by Robin Hood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2021 at 9:16 PM, road turtle said:

OEM's don't require you use their repair shops for service, but you will want to retain receipts to prove you had (or did it yourself) work was completed.

I didn't own my 2020 for much more than a year but I recorded all my maintenance on the Ford Pass app and plan to do that again. I hope that is sufficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, azfansinnc said:

I didn't own my 2020 for much more than a year but I recorded all my maintenance on the Ford Pass app and plan to do that again. I hope that is sufficient.

Can you add even your own maintenance records to the ford pass app?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Select "Vehicle" on the bottom and then select "Service History" (right above "Glove Box") and then select "Add Record." You can add cost, notes, mileage, date, etc. You can even transfer the data to a new buyer. All my dealer records are there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took Flood ESP pricing into the dealer.  They "claimed" Flood's ESP pricing was below their cost.  HOWEVER, when we combined maintenance plan, their price was a couple hundred over Flood.

 

For the maintenance, doing the math and having someone else do it, literally the maintenance is prepaid oil changes.  As we are looking to spend time traveling, this takes the burden off me to plan out oil changes and being home when they need to be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother has the maintenance and extended warranty plan. He said they they have had to pull the tranny twice on his 2019 f350 6.7L. Paid for the extra coverage twice over already. He bought it used. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, road turtle said:

I took Flood ESP pricing into the dealer.  They "claimed" Flood's ESP pricing was below their cost.  HOWEVER, when we combined maintenance plan, their price was a couple hundred over Flood.

 

For the maintenance, doing the math and having someone else do it, literally the maintenance is prepaid oil changes.  As we are looking to spend time traveling, this takes the burden off me to plan out oil changes and being home when they need to be done.

 

My dealer said the same thing. Flood was below their cost and he claimed they all pay the same. They wanted a minimum $500 over cost.

 

Edited by Robin Hood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dealer said the same, the Flood pricing is below their cost and the best they could do was come within $200.... Not gonna give it to them for $200... Flood will get the order

 

I just had to do research to feel good about Flood and if the plans are on the up and up.....  I feel good after doing that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×