'21 Sept Sales- Ford Top Seller for Sept

35 minutes ago, sullynd said:

The Mach-E is in no relation to, nor does it look anything like the ID.4. 

In some parallel universe where VW takes over Ford (not going to happen due to how the stock is split with the family) Ford would no longer be a domestic automaker, just like Stellantis is not. 

When 2 companies partner, the stronger company usually prevails long term. Most years, VW sells more vehicles than anyone worldwide. For me as stockholder, having VW as partner worldwide makes me feel better about Ford long term. And yes, the VW ID4 looks just like the Mach E minus the Mustang cues. To my eyes anyway. Would make sense cost wise to share platforms here.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Thats the only explanation because to my knowledge nothing has really changed a whole lot with the supply base. 

Absolutely, I wonder what improvements were done with other vehicles to leap frog Ranger.

The intent of that list should become obvious to anyone looking further than the rankings provided……..

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

When 2 companies partner, the stronger company usually prevails long term. Most years, VW sells more vehicles than anyone worldwide. For me as stockholder, having VW as partner worldwide makes me feel better about Ford long term. And yes, the VW ID4 looks just like the Mach E minus the Mustang cues. To my eyes anyway. Would make sense cost wise to share platforms here.

The alliance with VW is just that, both companies wanting access to certain vehicle to save tons of money, any talk beyond that in terms of mergers or take overs is just not part of those plans. That fact should add a certain amount of stability to both companies going forward. Ford, sharing  part of VW’s electrification plans will add massively to the proliferation of Ford EVs outside of North America where profitability is more difficult to maintain.

Mach E is not going to MEB, it will eventually move over to the second generation GE2 platform to be used by BEV Explorer/Aviator. The VW ID4 only shares a passing resemblance with the Mach E, its wheelbase is 9” shorter, that alone completely changes the proportions, especially the silhouette.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 3:12 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Thats the only explanation because to my knowledge nothing has really changed a whole lot with the supply base. 

Someone posted a while back the the content qualifications are esoteric-for example its rated on subassemblies vs overall content?

So you could have a ton of subassemblies built in Mexico, but final assembly for something like a steering rack is done in the US-it automatically becomes 100% built in the US then and vice versa. 

12 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Someone posted a while back the the content qualifications are esoteric-for example its rated on subassemblies vs overall content?

So you could have a ton of subassemblies built in Mexico, but final assembly for something like a steering rack is done in the US-it automatically becomes 100% built in the US then and vice versa. 

I can't speak for parts for final assembly, but to my knowledge all of the parts for body shop that aren't done next door in stamping come from vendor plants that are fairly local, with Flex-N-Gate being the biggest and that plant was built by Detroit city airport pretty much for Ranger parts.