What do I need to know about preventative maintenance?

Good2eat

I’m coming from a 2006 F250 with the 6.0l diesel.  It was a rollercoaster for a while until I figured out how to take care of it in order to minimize issues.  I ended up with a routine of regular oil changes and fuel filter replacements.  Every time I changed the fuel filters, I changed the screen on the IPR valve and tested the ICP sensor.   Always kept the scan gage showing FICM volts, oil and coolant temp and IPR percentage, kept an eye on the batteries and changed out both when one went bad, etc, etc, etc.  Taking care in this manner has gotten me 265,000 miles of mostly trouble free use - 1 egr cooler and oil cooler replacement, stock heads without issue.  It’ been a pretty good truck.

Moving to the 6.7, I’m guessing it’s been around long enough - what are the idiosyncrasies I need to be aware of and plan for?

TIA

-Rob-

Will be watching this thread. Will be interesting to see what is needed for the "beast" engines to keep them happy.

I can't offer any input as I fall into the lesser gasser group.

For our maintenance, the list we us is this....

1. Air filter (when dirty)

2. Engine oil (10,000 /- miles)

3......well....yeah that's about it.

Fuel filters with every other oil change. Thats about it. Ford got it figured out for these 6.7's.

I run a lubrication additive in my fuel to help the CP4 pump. I dont know how real the problem is as the internet seems to blow it out of proportion, but its cheap peace of mind at the very least for me.

With the Emissions stuff you want to try avoid extended idling periods. Itll take it, but the less you do it the better for the life the emissions components.

Going from a 6l to a new 6.7 is going to be one hell of an upgrade for you. :rockon:

Edited by mattdm
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Will be watching this thread. Will be interesting to see what is needed for the "beast" engines to keep them happy.

I can't offer any input as I fall into the lesser greater gasser group.

For our maintenance, the list we us is this....

1. Air filter (when dirty)

2. Engine oil (10,000 /- miles)

3......well....yeah that's about it.

Since there are more gasser sales than diesel sales....FIFY

16 hours ago, Good2eat said:

I’m coming from a 2006 F250 with the 6.0l diesel.  It was a rollercoaster for a while until I figured out how to take care of it in order to minimize issues.  I ended up with a routine of regular oil changes and fuel filter replacements.  Every time I changed the fuel filters, I changed the screen on the IPR valve and tested the ICP sensor.   Always kept the scan gage showing FICM volts, oil and coolant temp and IPR percentage, kept an eye on the batteries and changed out both when one went bad, etc, etc, etc.  Taking care in this manner has gotten me 265,000 miles of mostly trouble free use - 1 egr cooler and oil cooler replacement, stock heads without issue.  It’ been a pretty good truck.

Moving to the 6.7, I’m guessing it’s been around long enough - what are the idiosyncrasies I need to be aware of and plan for?

TIA

-Rob-

I also went from a 2005 6.0 which was a good truck as well once the bugs were worked out. I know I can tell you the power difference between the two is astonishing. Currently I have a '17 XLT SRW FX4 with the 6.7 and am waiting on a '22 Lariat 6.7. I've changed the oil every 7k-7500 miles and honestly that's about it. It used specifically for towing and has about 54k on it. The only issue I've had is I got some bad diesel last summer and it was a pain in the a** to clear it out and get full power back and have the warning lights go off. I had to drain the filter underneath about every 50 miles or so, but there was never any water in it. The dealer I talked to said the bad fuel had to work it's way through the system which it finally did after almost 2 full tanks of good diesel and 600 miles of driving around Oklahoma highways. The newer ones seem way more sensitive to fuel issues than the older ones.  If I had it longer I know I'd probably do more but that's all I know for mine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

I can't offer any input as I fall into the lesser gasser group.

9 hours ago, twintornados said:

Since there are more gasser sales than diesel sales....FIFY

Nopers that is what I meant....not in sales volume but in general consensus of mindset from guys with diesels....

I have already head this about 10 times from various neighbor, coworkers, friends ect..

"If you have a f350 why wouldn't you get the diesel, it has more power"

..... then I give my reasons.

The general consensus is the diesel is the Big Boy's toy a Gasser is the lesser!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Nopers that is what I meant....not in sales volume but in general consensus of mindset from guys with diesels....

I have already head this about 10 times from various neighbor, coworkers, friends ect..

"If you have a f350 why wouldn't you get the diesel, it has more power"

..... then I give my reasons.

The general consensus is the diesel is the Big Boy's toy a Gasser is the lesser!

Oh, I know what you meant...just because the "guys with diesels" have a certain mindset, doesn't necessarily mean it is correct. Back in the day, the advantage of a diesel was tons of torque from a simple design that used cheaper fuel....that was then and this is now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Oh, I know what you meant...just because the "guys with diesels" have a certain mindset, doesn't necessarily mean it is correct. Back in the day, the advantage of a diesel was tons of torque from a simple design that used cheaper fuel....that was then and this is now.

I honestly have no frame of reference on how a Super Duty gas is power wise. How do the gas F-350's tow a heavy load compared to the diesels? I realize there might be a power difference but is it enough to justify the extra cost of a diesel motor plus higher fuel prices? I know, at least from older trucks, that one advantage gas had was they were generally cheaper to fix than diesels. Does that still hold true in the newer motors? Figured this is the best place to ask since I've been wondering or a while. Thanks!

Won't pretend to be an expert here, but by far the biggest concern I have is going to be the CP4.2 high pressure fuel unit on these trucks. 

Ford seems to have figured out how to make these work pretty well. Ram did not, ran them from 19 to 20 or 21 and there were horror stories everywhere. I'm not sure how they've managed to get around recalls. 

So, what I gather the CP4.2 does really great in EU countries... because their diesel is much higher quality than ours. I have no data, nor have I seen data, to support that -- it's just what I see other people saying. 

So, ignoring the whys or the how-to's of avoiding a grenaded CP4.2 -- there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the fuel system altogether in that when the unit fails, and they will all fail eventually, it is going to take out your entire fuel system. Rails, lines, and injectors will all have to be pulled and replaced. Maybe you could blow out the lines? I'm not sure I'd trust that given the cost of missing anything. Anyway, my understanding is the cost of a CP4 failure on a new 6.7 gets up in the many a thousand. 

I have also read, not experienced nor seen any direct evidence of, that warranty claims on the CP4 failures have not always been easy to get. Maybe someone put bad fluids in their truck, whatever, no idea -- I've seen people do some insanely stupid things to vehicles and blame everyone but themselves... so, like I said -- that's just what I've read.

So me, personally, I plan to get a bulletproofing kit the second the warranty is out on mine. I'll be diligent in where I buy fuel, and I'll be adding upper cylinder oil to every tank to have some lube in there (since that's the primary failing of the CP4). 

On an interesting and completely unrelated side note -- I saw a YT video of a guy pulling a DPF off a truck that had the same filter for over a million miles. That's seriously impressive considering how they work. My recollection is that Ford was replacing it for free as they wanted to see the magic million mile DPF. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, themadmonk said:

I honestly have no frame of reference on how a Super Duty gas is power wise. How do the gas F-350's tow a heavy load compared to the diesels? I realize there might be a power difference but is it enough to justify the extra cost of a diesel motor plus higher fuel prices? I know, at least from older trucks, that one advantage gas had was they were generally cheaper to fix than diesels. Does that still hold true in the newer motors? Figured this is the best place to ask since I've been wondering or a while. Thanks!

Towing the diesel wins hands down every time. Especially when you get into heavy towing(say above 10k lbs). If you tow heavy or frequently the diesel is what you want.

For the average guy who pulls his boat to the lake or takes a modest size rv camping the 7.3 is more then capable. Gasser is cheaper for maintainance for sure.

If the diesel is worth it or not really depends on your situation.

Edited by mattdm
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, themadmonk said:

Not sure if you would consider my trailer heavy, but I currently own a ‘20 F350 CC SRW SB 7.3 that I regularly use to tow a 10k lb. camper trailer.  The power has been more than enough for this trailer. Been up to Yellowstone twice with this set up, and even with elevations over 8000 feet, the truck never felt out of breath.  Just a small piece of info to add to your decision making process. Best of luck figuring out what’s best for you. 

Edited by Late Apex 61
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, gom said:

Won't pretend to be an expert here, but by far the biggest concern I have is going to be the CP4.2 high pressure fuel unit on these trucks. 

Ford seems to have figured out how to make these work pretty well. Ram did not, ran them from 19 to 20 or 21 and there were horror stories everywhere. I'm not sure how they've managed to get around recalls. 

So, what I gather the CP4.2 does really great in EU countries... because their diesel is much higher quality than ours. I have no data, nor have I seen data, to support that -- it's just what I see other people saying. 

So, ignoring the whys or the how-to's of avoiding a grenaded CP4.2 -- there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the fuel system altogether in that when the unit fails, and they will all fail eventually, it is going to take out your entire fuel system. Rails, lines, and injectors will all have to be pulled and replaced. Maybe you could blow out the lines? I'm not sure I'd trust that given the cost of missing anything. Anyway, my understanding is the cost of a CP4 failure on a new 6.7 gets up in the many a thousand. 

I have also read, not experienced nor seen any direct evidence of, that warranty claims on the CP4 failures have not always been easy to get. Maybe someone put bad fluids in their truck, whatever, no idea -- I've seen people do some insanely stupid things to vehicles and blame everyone but themselves... so, like I said -- that's just what I've read.

So me, personally, I plan to get a bulletproofing kit the second the warranty is out on mine. I'll be diligent in where I buy fuel, and I'll be adding upper cylinder oil to every tank to have some lube in there (since that's the primary failing of the CP4). 

On an interesting and completely unrelated side note -- I saw a YT video of a guy pulling a DPF off a truck that had the same filter for over a million miles. That's seriously impressive considering how they work. My recollection is that Ford was replacing it for free as they wanted to see the magic million mile DPF. 

The way I understand it, the process of making Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel like we use today also removes any of the natural lubricity that diesel use to have. And that it turn can cause a CP4 pump to fail. So in that regard, I plan on using Motorcraft's Diesel fuel additive to bring back that lubricity. Also I'll be draining the water separator on the underbelly fuel filter on a monthly basis. It's the little things that can give you that 200K mileage on a truck. 

Most important on diesel is:

1) Oil is extremely important! If your engine EVER over heats. Change your oil sooner! Or if you constantly tow heavy loads or are driving in really hot weather alot. (Heat breaks down oil lubricant properties the fastest!)

2)Clean fuel! That means keep up on filter changes! And that old tank of diesel that's never been cleaned out isn't something to fill up from. Cp4 pump fails and Injectors are VERY EXPENSIVE!

3)Tranny fluid! (Same as the engine oil. Breaks down with heat)

4) Starting your engine and driving it like a hot rod before its at operating temps will cause premature wear. Oil is thicker when cold.

5) Air filter. Besides obvious dirt ingestion. Plugged means reduced air flow so incorrect air/fuel ratio. Increased soot and smoke. So more Regen's and less emissions lifespan. 

6) If it is acting differently then your used to... get it checked or ask someone experienced in diesel. $100 repair could become $3000 repair if you ignore it. Failed or overfueling injector can cause alot of damage if not corrected. (Gas is more forgiving then diesel)

Hope this helps. You won't go wrong following Ford's recommend maintenance plan. But you can't hurt anything changing your oil or filters alittle early if ever in question. 

5 hours ago, AtlasBlue350 said:

The way I understand it, the process of making Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel like we use today also removes any of the natural lubricity that diesel use to have. 

I don't know how much truth there is to that, however I'm always open to learning more. Ive burned more diesel then 90% of people ever will and never added anything to the fuel to subsidiase lubrication. 120gph adds up quickly to  go 35kts. 3.4 Gallons per mile for those doing the math at home lol. 

13 minutes ago, CaptainKopper said:

I don't know how much truth there is to that, however I'm always open to learning more. Ive burned more diesel then 90% of people ever will and never added anything to the fuel to subsidiase lubrication. 120gph adds up quickly to  go 35kts. 3.4 Gallons per mile for those doing the math at home lol. 

CP3 or CP4?

7 hours ago, CaptainKopper said:

Well most companies that have researched ULSD state this, so I'll leave it up to the experts: "Removing sulfur contents from diesel fuel has been shown to greatly alter the lubricity and overall chemical composition of the fuel. Refineries use severe hydrotreating to remove sulfur. This is a process that also happens to decrease diesel’s natural lubricity, lower energy density (fuel economy), and increases overall production costs." Many of your diesel additives will bring up the Cetane numbers (similar to gas octane) and put back in some of the lubricity. Now whether or not someone feels it will really do any good is up to their judgement and gut feeling. Myself, I think I'm going to run the additive. 

Edited by AtlasBlue350
  • Like 3

I feel the cp4 pump failures may have more to do with dirty fuel or mileage.  I wouldn't put it past many of them may have been ran dry once or twice. 

The additives are not going to hurt anything. 

They spend billions designing these trucks for modern fuels.

I would be very interested to know if someone has also had a failure after the use of additives straight off the lot. 

What kind of maintenance is involved with this d e f system?

I haven't Googled how it works? Does it siphon DeF into some kind of muffler or does it pump in? Are there filters, I'm curious on how that system works, is there a regular maintenance involved with that part of the system or is it kind of like the rear axle you check it at long distance intervals

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

I haven't Googled how it works? Does it siphon DeF into some kind of muffler or does it pump in? Are there filters, I'm curious on how that system works, is there a regular maintenance involved with that part of the system or is it kind of like the rear axle you check it at long distance intervals

Basically a glorified catalytic converter. A def injector sprays def into the exhaust and super heats it to over 7 or 800 degrees or more and turns all the built up soot into ash and blows it out the tailpipe.

Basically heats it up so hot you don't see any smoke out the back. "Making it environmentally friendly" you know.... cause def is EXTREMELY  corrosive! So it's better for the environment then heavy soot that floots back down to the ground and not up into the atmosphere. 

*added*  is why it increases your rpms to create the extra heat. And why constant short trips cause incomplete regen cycles giving you check engine codes. You need long drives to do a full regen and have your rpms high enough to do a full burn of the def system. 

Def Injectors are about $300. You "usually" only have one. And 9 out of 10 time the bolts holding it on are so rusted the just snap off. And need extracted or drilled out. And most common if the injector is good. It just has so much corrosion build up around the injector inlet you can just clean "scrap" it out and it will work again. 

Edited by danielj
Added info

The best thing you can do for the SCR system, that uses the DEF, is to make sure you are buying fresh DEF.  The bottles have expiration dates and it shouldn't be an issue at a store like Walmart. 

If you have a fleet card, you can get DEF at the pump with the truckers at the truck stops on a busy interstate.  That stuff should be fresh.  You can also buy it from a Ford dealer's parts department that does a lot of diesel service.

I had each of the three emissions systems fail at different times on a 2015 GM truck.  They tried to avoid a warranty payout on a SCR failure by claiming I got "bad DEF". 

(Soot build up also caked and cracked the intake manifold because of the abuse from the EGR.  The DPF also clogged up later on.  This was all before 60,000 miles.  I blame GM's design and the environmental nonsense that forces them to install this stuff.  However, I think the main issue was far too many short low speed trips and not enough highway miles.)

I imagine if I owned a diesel truck long enough I might want to drop the DEF tank and clean it around the same time I wanted to flush the cooling system.  The stuff gets nasty after a while and I could imagine what the components looks like after a few years.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:50 PM, bob99 said:

The best thing you can do for the SCR system, that uses the DEF, is to make sure you are buying fresh DEF.  The bottles have expiration dates and it shouldn't be an issue at a store like Walmart. 

If you have a fleet card, you can get DEF at the pump with the truckers at the truck stops on a busy interstate.  That stuff should be fresh.  You can also buy it from a Ford dealer's parts department that does a lot of diesel service.

I had each of the three emissions systems fail at different times on a 2015 GM truck.  They tried to avoid a warranty payout on a SCR failure by claiming I got "bad DEF". 

(Soot build up also caked and cracked the intake manifold because of the abuse from the EGR.  The DPF also clogged up later on.  This was all before 60,000 miles.  I blame GM's design and the environmental nonsense that forces them to install this stuff.  However, I think the main issue was far too many short low speed trips and not enough highway miles.)

I imagine if I owned a diesel truck long enough I might want to drop the DEF tank and clean it around the same time I wanted to flush the cooling system.  The stuff gets nasty after a while and I could imagine what the components looks like after a few years.

What does diesel exhaust fluid have as a base? Is it a petroleum or an alcohol base or a water-based?

I need to Google this because now I'm curious on how it works.

My last diesel was a 6.5 Detroit and the only issue I had was an optical sensor that prevented you from running off road diesel...... that was only a problem for about 2 weeks?