After 6 months my SD finally delivered to dealer but.....

Fogbelly

43 minutes ago, Fogbelly said:

Ordered 8/4.  Delivered to dealer 2/9.

Dealer says it won't be ready until 2/15 at the earliest and probably 2/16.

Is a week for dealer prep standard?

Hardly! The PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) only takes about an hour unless there are DIO (Dealer Installed Options) options that need to be installed. Otherwise, the only other time required is that needed to clean and detail the vehicle. Even pre-COVID, it wasn't unusual for a vehicle to arrive at the dealership in the morning and be delivered that afternoon. 

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Hardly! The PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) only takes about an hour unless there are DIO (Dealer Installed Options) options that need to be installed. Otherwise, the only other time required is that needed to clean and detail the vehicle. Even pre-COVID, it wasn't unusual for a vehicle to arrive at the dealership in the morning and be delivered that afternoon. 

What would the dealer installed options be? 

22 hours ago, bshort said:

They have to stick it out on the front line for a week, so they can attract buyers.  ?  No, shouldn't take that long..unless something arrived broken and the parts will take a bit to arrive.  I'd suggest driving there and looking at it now.  

If this is the case, I’d be ???!  Been waiting for months and now a bunch of other folks are going to be pressing their noses to her windshield and their belt loop hung keys to her painted sides???  Not on my watch. Go down there and watch them do their prep and get your truck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forderorder said:

Does anyone have the document that dealers use to complete the pre-delivery inspection process?

I did a fairly extensive search online and wasn't able to find one, so they must be closely guarded documents. I do know they have to take it out of transport mode, put the hubs on AUTO if 4WD, check and/or top off all the fluid levels, clean/detail. I'm sure there are other things but I can't see it would be much more than a day like ice stated. If your dealer is taking a week, they are using it for advertising like bshort noted :) 

Mine was ready within 48 hours. It arrived the Tuesday after a long weekend and the shop was backed up. I stopped in on the Tuesday night to check it over, salesman threw me the keys and let me go play just wasn't allowed to take it for a drive until they completed the PDI. It was in the back corner still fully covered in plastic and in transport mode. I took delivery the following evening after work.

Edited by mattdm