Godzilla vs Diesel

Denao_53

Hey everyone,

I tried researching and I couldn’t find any solid numbers comparing the diesel vs. the Godzilla.  Forgetting the price difference, what is the difference in mpg between the two motors with the 3.55 elocker for city, highway and towing?  I will be towing 7,000 Airstream. I’ve had an order on a King Ranch for 6 months and still nothing. I have a line on a diesel. Also the difference in oil change cost etc. 

Thanks 

There are tons of threads about gas vs diesel. Diesel has way more power then the gas motor there is no comparison. Im getting about 20mpg mixed highway/city/towing on my diesel(3.55).

Either motor will tow 7000lbs just fine. If you are towing it across the country a diesel might be a nicer driving experience especially at altitudes.

Everything about the diesel from a maintenance perspective costs more. I do my own oil changes and it still costs over $100 just in oil and filter. I havent done an oil change on a 7.3 but I suspect its about half the cost.

I got the 7.3 because I'm afraid of maintenance costs on a diesel, not only expensive oil changes, but also potential emissions and fuel system problems that can add up extremely fast. I've heard about $10-20k+ in repairs for some fuel system problems that requires removal of the cab.  That would be upsetting to say the least.

My truck is a f250 supercab with 3.55.  I love the truck, it has plenty of power for any trailer I'll ever tow, and 7000 lbs would be no problem at all. Driving empty, very easy (under 70 mph) on longer but still local trips it will get around 14.5 mpg.  Driving easy on rural roads for shorter trips (10 miles or less per trip), it will be around 10-11 mpg.  

When I first got the truck, with only 300 miles on it at the time, I towed a 14' aluminum enclosed trailer about 1600 miles to Montana, and got between 7.5 and 8.5 mpg, and I was taking it easy.  Trailer was probably less than 3500#, but did have 6" extra height over a standard cargo trailer.  Way worse than I expected, but there was a very strong headwind/crosswind the whole way, and it was a bit of a handful staying in my lane.  Trailer only had one ATV in it and I think it would have handled better if it had a few more thousand pounds in it. Coming home without the trailer I averaged 15.5 mpg....this was driving pretty hard, but with a nice tailwind.  

My average mpg this winter has been around 8-9 mpg, but it is a lot of short trips to and from town a few miles away, idling in drive thru restaurants...etc. 

Yes, I'd like better mileage, but when I live only a few miles from town, and also do lawn care, the truck usually doesn't have a very far run every time I use it, and I think that would be bad for the new diesel engines....the (frequent idling, and short trips)

Edited by Kory04
  • Like 2

6.7, 3.55, cc, LB, 4X4, 20" wheel and tire package

I just drove my truck, 6.7L, 866 miles, empty, except 3 passengers and luggage, across AZ. Highway, 2 lane, hills and traffic. I drove between 65 and 85, in the gas a lot passing and pulling hills. Dash says that I got 18.0 MPG. During most of the trip it registered 18.2 MPG. I was pretty surprised and happy to see that. Did it all on one tank of fuel and still have 91 miles to go until empty.

A week and a half before, I got around 6 MPG pulling my 5th wheel, weighing around 17K pounds across AZ into CA, mostly freeway driving. I typically travel around 10 MPH over the speed limit. A front was pushing through and I was driving into strong headwinds, pushing me and all the big rigs around on the road. At one point in CA we were down to 20 MPH in blinding dust. It was that bad.

Edited by Robin Hood
  • Like 2

When I had my 7.3 in the 4:30 geared Tremor trim, it was 12city and 15 highway with my heavy foot. Towing 10-15K I would be in the 8-9mpg range. 

Not direct comparable, but my current 2017 Ram 6.7L Cummins is 15-16 city and 18-20 highway, and towing the same amount nets me 11-13mpg. 

An increase for sure with the diesel, but you sure can buy a lot of gas for the $10K option. That being said, my new truck I ordered is a 6.7L Diesel because I dont like the way the 7.3 works with the 10spd.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

I just drove my truck 866 miles empty, except 3 passengers and luggage, across AZ. Highway, 2 lane, hills and traffic. I drove between 65 and 85, in the gas a lot passing and pulling hills. Dash says that I got 18.0 MPG. During most of the trip it registered 18.2 MPG. I was pretty surprised and happy to see that. Did it all on one tank of fuel and still have 91 miles to go until empty.

Which motor / gear ratio?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

6.7, 3.55, cc, LB, 4X4, 20" wheel and tire package

I just drove my truck, 6.7L, 866 miles, empty, except 3 passengers and luggage, across AZ. Highway, 2 lane, hills and traffic. I drove between 65 and 85, in the gas a lot passing and pulling hills. Dash says that I got 18.0 MPG. During most of the trip it registered 18.2 MPG. I was pretty surprised and happy to see that. Did it all on one tank of fuel and still have 91 miles to go until empty.

A week and a half before, I got around 6 MPG pulling my 5th wheel, weighing around 17K pounds across AZ into CA, mostly freeway driving. I typically travel around 10 MPH over the speed limit. A front was pushing through and I was driving into strong headwinds, pushing me and all the big rigs around on the road. At one point in CA we were down to 20 MPH in blinding dust. It was that bad.

I like the idea of better milage, but at what cost:)

For me, towing and toys keep getting bigger, it’s like a drug. I would have preferred to go 7.3, but we had been looking at a 15,000lb camper and I didn’t want to be unhappy later. If you don’t have any future plans of a bigger trailer, or not hauling heavy often, I think you’ll love the simplicity of owning the 7.3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshmallow said:

For me, towing and toys keep getting bigger, it’s like a drug. I would have preferred to go 7.3, but we had been looking at a 15,000lb camper and I didn’t want to be unhappy later. If you don’t have any future plans of a bigger trailer, or not hauling heavy often, I think you’ll love the simplicity of owning the 7.3. 

This is why I went 7.3.  I don't have mine yet, but I did not want to do the 6.7 because of the extra up front cost, extra maintenance cost, and how expensive everything is to change/fix.  Just a headlight replacement is huge according to what I've watched on YouTube.  My heaviest trailer is 7K or so.  I got the 4.30 gears so will lose a couple MPG I've heard.  If I get over 12 I'll be happy.  My 12 Ecoboost got 13-14 normally is all.  Probably the way I drove it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CBears said:

This is why I went 7.3.  I don't have mine yet, but I did not want to do the 6.7 because of the extra up front cost, extra maintenance cost, and how expensive everything is to change/fix.  Just a headlight replacement is huge according to what I've watched on YouTube.  My heaviest trailer is 7K or so.  I got the 4.30 gears so will lose a couple MPG I've heard.  If I get over 12 I'll be happy.  My 12 Ecoboost got 13-14 normally is all.  Probably the way I drove it.

My 15 ecoboost gets 20 running around. Then 7-8 towing my boat. It’s sad lol.

1 hour ago, CBears said:

Just a headlight replacement is huge according to what I've watched on YouTube.  

Hmm, I'm interested to see the video you are referring to.  I just checked out one from TFLnow and it doesn't look too difficult.  Not to mention it seems to be the same process regardless of engine type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Denao_53 said:

I like the idea of better milage, but at what cost:)

I didn't get it for the fuel mileage, I'm just sharing information as requested by the OP. 

Yes it cost more, but so does a Super Duty over an F150. The high maintenance cost of a diesel isn't typically a factor until around 125K miles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forderorder said:

Hmm, I'm interested to see the video you are referring to.  I just checked out one from TFLnow and it doesn't look too difficult.  Not to mention it seems to be the same process regardless of engine type.

So, it seems that I'm "that guy", spouting knowledge I got off of Youtube from an imaginary video.  ?  Sorry about that.  I can't find any video now.  I think it was probably a combination of different ones.  I saw the TFL one I think, where they had to take off the entire grill, and remembered it was the diesel, which is wrong.  Then there was another video where I watched a guy come at the bulbs from the wheel wells.  I thought he said something about it being possible because it was the "gasser" instead of the 6.7 but I rewatched it and there seems to be nothing in that video about that at all.  Then there are the several videos where they describe how tight things are under the hood with the 6.7 and how much room there is with the 7.3.  The only one I can find now I remember mentions changing spark plugs, nothing about the lights.  Since that is three strikes, guess I'm out.  Hahaha.  I do always tell people that I'd not want to ride any anything I had helped fix.  ?

Please disregard my prior mis-statement.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CBears said:

Wow, 20???  I don't think mine ever got that high.  Even babying it I only got 18ish.  I had the 3.55 gears, are yours different?

2016 SCLB f150 with the 5.0 and the 331s if I'm doing any steady speed between 35 and 65 I get 28 or so hand calc'd. Stop and go in town gets me absolute shit at maybe 12.

I currently have a 7.3 on order with 373, which I'll get an aux gas tank in the bed for and probably only end up using for towing. At the price I'm ordering a new one at I can keep the 16 f150 for weekend country drives.

I kind of want the 6.7 because I feel like a diesel aux tank would be safer in a rollover, but I don't want to deal with the maintainence and my wife doesn't like diesels. She says they smell bad and their drivers won't stop revving their engines in the pharmacy drive through trying to make her heart go pitter patter.

At the end of the day if ford doesn't build me a 22 I'll buy any I can find on the lot with any engine because I don't like the look of the 21 f150s at all.

9 hours ago, Marshmallow said:

No plans to upgrade the camper , but likely take it cross county and through the Rockies. The diesel would be nice,  but still trying to justify the extra cost?

51 minutes ago, NedFletcher said:

2016 SCLB f150 with the 5.0 and the 331s if I'm doing any steady speed between 35 and 65 I get 28 or so hand calc'd. Stop and go in town gets me absolute shit at maybe 12.

I currently have a 7.3 on order with 373, which I'll get an aux gas tank in the bed for and probably only end up using for towing. At the price I'm ordering a new one at I can keep the 16 f150 for weekend country drives.

I kind of want the 6.7 because I feel like a diesel aux tank would be safer in a rollover, but I don't want to deal with the maintainence and my wife doesn't like diesels. She says they smell bad and their drivers won't stop revving their engines in the pharmacy drive through trying to make her heart go pitter patter.

At the end of the day if ford doesn't build me a 22 I'll buy any I can find on the lot with any engine because I don't like the look of the 21 f150s at all.

How did you get the 3.73 with the 7.3?  That is what I wanted but the 4.30 and 3.55 were the only ones available with it. 

22 hours ago, Denao_53 said:

No plans to upgrade the camper , but likely take it cross county and through the Rockies. The diesel would be nice,  but still trying to justify the extra cost?

Watch this You Tube video. You will not have any trouble towing your trailer with the 7.3 in the Rockies.

2020 Ford F-250 Godzilla 7.3L V8 Gets Maxed Out on the World's Toughest Test! So, How Did It Do? - YouTube

I vacillated between the 350 and 450 for a while and made the last minute decision to go with the 350 dually with 7.3 that I ordered on Monday.  I have a couple 550's with the 7.3 at work and the guys like them, they say they pull and haul a load great. My 6.2 has been great and low maintenance.  Everything that's out there about the 7.3 makes it sound like tough, low operating cost, reliable engine.  Shoot it's got about the same power diesels had not that long ago.  The link to the video in the above post is a pretty good look at what it can do.  Good luck.