My Ford Conundrum

Last September I put in an order for a Maverick Lariat Tremor. Dealership agreed to sell at MSRP of just a tick over 36k.  I had a 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium with 115k, that was in very good shape and very reliable so I was in no rush for a new vehicle. I knew when I ordered it, that it would be a while before I saw it. No big deal!

That was the case until it wasn't. I ended up rear ending a car at a stop light. Totally my fault as the light turned green, I started to accelerate, got distracted by my son for a second and everyone stopped. Hit the SUV in front of me going around 10. Everyone was fine. My car had front end damage but completely drivable. To my untrained eye, it looked like the only thing that got damaged mechanically, was the A/C condenser. Other than I warning on my dash saying the hood wasn't latched properly, no warning lights.

I decided to take my car to a body shop that my insurance recommended. They decided to total it. Somehow my car had 14k worth of damage. They cut me a check for 16,500 finally after jumping through what felt like a million hoops. Interesting enough, I got my build date email for June 19th. Excited for build date but not excited I needed a car now.

There were really only two vehicles that Ford had that I had interest in. The Bronco and Edge. No need to discuss Bronco as we all know the issues there. The Edge is essentially the same vehicle is was in 2012 with a newish interior, I really didn't want one but looked into it. Only on 2022 models were there special interest rates and there was no inventory other than fully loaded models. in the upper 40/lower 50s. I read and heard stories that the used car market was bad as far as pricing, inventory, and condition of vehicles. After everything I saw, it was all true. I won't bore you with the details but from what I saw, 90% of the used cars were trash and the other 10% was massively overpriced. 

After spending 4 full days looking for 12 hours straight each day in the Greater Chicago land area, I ended up with a very basic 2017 Suburu Forester. Best condition vehicle I found, in the range I was looking to spend. It is a base model so huge downgrade from an amenities/option perspective. However, it fits me and my son with all our gear perfectly.

Here is my conundrum. Do I sell/trade the Subaru when Maverick gets delivered, gambling taking a loss on purchase or just cancel my order (which I can do and get my deposit back until it gets built)?  

IMG_5274.jpeg

Edited by jcartwright99

1) I would NOT cancel your order.  Even if you decide you don't want it, the dealer will be able to sell it, especially with Maverick inventory/lack thereof.....at least that's how it's always worked with my dealer/sales guy - I order whatever I want, but they'll be able to throw it into inventory if I don't want it.  If you cancel, it's gone and will never come in should you decide you want it after all.  I don't usually have to put a deposit down, though - how much was it if I may ask?  Maybe reach out and explain the predicament and see if the dealer is willing to give your deposit back up to delivery.

2) If you truly want the Maverick, I personally wouldn't be happy long term with a "stopgap" vehicle that I didn't want, unless you've come to love the Subaru (which reverts back to point #1, don't cancel it so you don't have to make up your mind until it's actually there).  You mentioned the Subaru is missing amenities you want - long term, I think you'll want those.

3) That same raised used car market will help you when the Maverick does come in.....you'll get more for your trade in.....you may lose some but probably not much....heck, you may even get what you paid for it.

5 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Last September I put in an order for a Maverick Lariat Tremor. Dealership agreed to sell at MSRP of just a tick over 36k.  I had a 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium with 115k, that was in very good shape and very reliable so I was in no rush for a new vehicle. I knew when I ordered it, that it would be a while before I saw it. No big deal!

That was the case until it wasn't. I ended up rear ending a car at a stop light. Totally my fault as the light turned green, I started to accelerate, got distracted by my son for a second and everyone stopped. Hit the SUV in front of me going around 10. Everyone was fine. My car had front end damage but completely drivable. To my untrained eye, it looked like the only thing that got damaged mechanically, was the A/C condenser. Other than I warning on my dash saying the hood wasn't latched properly, no warning lights.

I decided to take my car to a body shop that my insurance recommended. They decided to total it. Somehow my car had 14k worth of damage. They cut me a check for 16,500 finally after jumping through what felt like a million hoops. Interesting enough, I got my build date email for June 19th. Excited for build date but not excited I needed a car now.

There were really only two vehicles that Ford had that I had interest in. The Bronco and Edge. No need to discuss Bronco as we all know the issues there. The Edge is essentially the same vehicle is was in 2012 with a newish interior, I really didn't want one but looked into it. Only on 2022 models were there special interest rates and there was no inventory other than fully loaded models. in the upper 40/lower 50s. I read and heard stories that the used car market was bad as far as pricing, inventory, and condition of vehicles. After everything I saw, it was all true. I won't bore you with the details but from what I saw, 90% of the used cars were trash and the other 10% was massively overpriced. 

After spending 4 full days looking for 12 hours straight each day in the Greater Chicago land area, I ended up with a very basic 2017 Suburu Forester. Best condition vehicle I found, in the range I was looking to spend. It is a base model so huge downgrade from an amenities/option perspective. However, it fits me and my son with all our gear perfectly.

Here is my conundrum. Do I sell/trade the Subaru when Maverick gets delivered, gambling taking a loss on purchase or just cancel my order (which I can do and get my deposit back until it gets built)?  

IMG_5274.jpeg

If I was in your shoes, I'd keep the Subaru until your maverick arrives. Test drive the maverick, and see which one you like more. You might take a small hit, but I don't see you losing 5-10 grand or anything crazy like that between now and the time your maverick arrives. 

See what CarMax would offer you for your Subaru in a few months from now. If you like the maverick, and receive a reasonable offer for your Subaru, I say sell the Subaru, and buy the Maverick. 

Some people have good experiences with Subaru, but I've seen a disproportionate amount of issues with Subarus. 50% of the cars I see broken down on the side of the road are Subarus. Prob 20% of all the car owners I met having engine or transmission issues are driving Subarus, Outbacks, Foresters, the wrx, and stis. I just wouldn't trust the reliability of a Subaru long term purely based on personal experiences. But it's ultimately up to you. 

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

If I was in your shoes, I'd keep the Subaru until your maverick arrives. Test drive the maverick, and see which one you like more. You might take a small hit, but I don't see you losing 5-10 grand or anything crazy like that between now and the time your maverick arrives

This. I’m sure if you end up not liking the Maverick after a test drive I highly doubt the dealer would be mad at all about you turning it down. Aww shucks, now they suddenly have one to sell to someone else, it’s not like it would sit there long. 

I will probably keep the order. If I decide to walk, I will lose 500 bucks which is not ideal but I'll get over it. I don't want to eat too much money for these 3-4 months of renting the Suburu. The Suburu seems like a good car if you don't care about NVH, and just more  about fuel economy, space and value.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I will probably keep the order. If I decide to walk, I will lose 500 bucks which is not ideal but I'll get over it. I don't want to eat too much money for these 3-4 months of renting the Suburu. The Suburu seems like a good car if you don't care about NVH, and just more  about fuel economy, space and value.

No way you should lose $500.  They can easily sell that Maverick for more than you were paying.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

No way you should lose $500.  They can easily sell that Maverick for more than you were paying.

You know and I know that is the case. However, their policy will take some strong arming from me to get that back. It was one of a handful of dealerships in a 150 mile radius of me that guaranteed MSRP pricing. A lot has changed in regards to new car inventory since last September. Unfortunately, the Maverick supply/demand hasn't changed much. 

35 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

You know and I know that is the case. However, their policy will take some strong arming from me to get that back. It was one of a handful of dealerships in a 150 mile radius of me that guaranteed MSRP pricing. A lot has changed in regards to new car inventory since last September. Unfortunately, the Maverick supply/demand hasn't changed much. 

Tell them if the don’t want to give your deposit back you’ll keep it and resell it yourself.

7 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

In Maryland where I live there's a state law that says any deposits must be fully refundable for any reason (or no reason) up until the point that you physically go in and do the purchase and take possession of the vehicle. Before I decided to buy out the lease on my current 2019 Nautilus I did a factory order for a Mercedes GLE-450 and put down a $2,000 deposit. When I got the call from the dealership that my vehicle was built and would be arriving in a few days -- but, well, the factory made a few changes. Few? So many of the options that made me want the crossover in the first place were factory deleted that I said thanks, but no thanks. That same day they refunded the full deposit amount to my credit card. Then I went in and bought out my Lincoln lease, and I'm glad I did because to my surprise the all new 2024 Nautilus is something I think I'll like better and it is indeed going to be on sale in North America. I've already put in a factory order for the new Nautilus for a much smaller deposit. But if I change my mind I'll get that back.

I gather that the vehicle deposit laws in your state are different, but there is no reason for the dealership to keep it. Not if they actually care about keeping customers. They won't lose any money as they'll be able to sell the vehicle you ordered when it arrives at full price.

Edited by Gurgeh