2025 Mustang GTD Coming with 800+ HP and Rear Mounted Transaxle for $300K

22 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I mean, so much has been changed that it's not really an s650 anymore beyond it's appearance. Regarding weight, with the carbon fiber, stripped down interior, lighter wheels and exhaust, I'm willing to be it's around 3,000 lbs give or take. A 3,000 lb 800+ hp car, meaning it could be 801 or 850, with insane active areo and basically the best suspension in the bizz, for 200k less than the Ford gt that "only" had a 660 hp v6. 

The gt 500 was apparently very good at putting it's 760 hp to the ground, and it had, I believe, 325 tires in the rear, this has 345s, that's wider than the gt's tires. It's gonna hook and book, even at lower speeds. The Ford GT was kinda getting shown up in its performance, especially near the end of it's run. That's not going to be a problem here. 

Haters gonna hate…

4 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

But heck, we may never know where exactly this Mustang sits in the performance car pecking order, as it's not homologated for racing and if Ford thinks it's an embarrassment, they just won't let the press do a full road test and let the bench racers inflate the GTDs performance with every retelling...

You are aware that the GTD was just unveiled and won't go on sale until late 2024 right? I doubt any company would let the press drive the pre-production model used for the launch (that will most likely be displayed in auto shows and other upcoming motoring events). I doubt they'd also let the press drive the GTD prototype that's still being fine-tuned before production.
2025-Ford-Mustang-GTD.jpg
-Carscoops

GTD has a Supercharged V8 with 800-plus horsepower, while the lighter GT3 racecar has an NA V8 with probably under 600 horsepower like other race cars in the GT3 category. Other than that, the GTD is the closest you'll get to a street-legal Mustang GT3 racecar. The GTD and GT3 were both designed and engineered by Ford and Multimatic just like the mid-engine GT road car and race car.
2025-ford-mustang-gtd.jpg
ford-mustang-gt3.jpg
Motor1 (both images)

4 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

This is at best a $200,000 car, and only if the buyer is a Ford fanatic with the blinders on to everything else. 

Same thing skeptics said about the half-million dollar Ford GT. 

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Regarding weight, with the carbon fiber, stripped down interior, lighter wheels and exhaust, I'm willing to be it's around 3,000 lbs give or take. A 3,000 lb 800+ hp car, meaning it could be 801 or 850, with insane active areo and basically the best suspension in the bizz, for 200k less than the Ford gt that "only" had a 660 hp v6. 

I was wondering about the how much they'd shave off with carbon fiber body panels. I know SpeedKore shaved 400 lbs when they built their carbon fiber-bodied GT350R.

Even if the GTD weighed 3,700 lbs, it would probably still handle like it was on rails.

For reference:
The C8 Corvette Z06 has a curb weight of around 3,700 lbs 
The 2022 AMG GT Black Series Coupe has a curb weight of 3,616 lbs (One of the cars Ford wants to beat on the road and track)

*The AMG GT Black Series Coupe was discontinued, an all-new larger 2+2 AMG GT Coupe (closer to the size of a Mustang) was just unveiled. Not sure if it will have a Black Series or GT3 race car verion.

Edited by AM222

I like this,

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a44845577/2025-ford-mustang-gtd-is-not-a-homologation-special/

Jim Farley

Ford Motor Company CEO 

“Our idea behind this car was, let’s take a race car and not change anything for the street. In fact, let’s add some stuff that’s outlawed in racing, for the street. So it’s like a different kind of project. It’s for AMG Black, it’s for Aston Martin, it’s for the GT3 RS. And we want to beat [that competition]. We take what we’re really good at, like a Mustang, and we do the unthinkable. Like, take on the Europeans—punch for punch—at what they have been doing for decades. As an underdog.”

• Like 4

• ice-capades changed the title to 2025 Mustang GTD Coming with 800+ HP and Rear Mounted Transaxle for $300K