2025 Mustang GTD Coming with 800+ HP and Rear Mounted Transaxle for $300K

Maybe a mid motor Mustang isn't that risky an investment for Ford- Most of the development costs and tooling for the Ford GT has already been paid for and could be reused. While matching the Corvette's base price point might be difficult, throw in a hybrid powertrain driving the front wheels and they've matched the Corvette hybrid and could justify a similar $100K+ price. And while bringing a supercar to market just as everyone else is electrifying theirs would be a mistake, the hybrid feature makes a new supercar socially acceptable.

16 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/ford-to-debut-mid-engine-mustang-this-thursday-exclusive/

Built by Multimatic. It’s effectively the replacement for the GT. Not so sure how I feel about using the Mustang name for it when GT probably could have worked. 

I agree that the Mustang name on something like the GT is a questionable usage for me.  But maybe it's somewhere in between Mustang and GT performance (and cost) wise that would kind of make some sense and leave the door open for a future "all out" GT well above this mid-Mustang?

56 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I agree that the Mustang name on something like the GT is a questionable usage for me.  But maybe it's somewhere in between Mustang and GT performance (and cost) wise that would kind of make some sense and leave the door open for a future "all out" GT well above this mid-Mustang?

That's what I'm thinking. I understand the argument that Multimatic isn't a massive manufacturer. But it would be an odd choice to make a new version of the gt that was still super expensive and rare, but call it the mustang. I feel like if this was the next gen gt, they would have just called it the gt. 

37 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

That's what I'm thinking. I understand the argument that Multimatic isn't a massive manufacturer. But it would be an odd choice to make a new version of the gt that was still super expensive and rare, but call it the mustang. I feel like if this was the next gen gt, they would have just called it the gt. 

The GT was a heritage car built specifically to win LeMans so no expense was spared.  The retail units were really only built for homologation.

Reading between the lines I expect a much cheaper version of the GT chassis using mostly off the shelf mustang parts including engines with a DCT tranny and mustang inspired exotic body like Ferrari/Corvette/GT.  I’d be shocked if it was less than $150K.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

Reading between the lines I expect a much cheaper version of the GT chassis using mostly off the shelf mustang parts including engines with a DCT tranny and mustang inspired exotic body like Ferrari/Corvette/GT.  I’d be shocked if it was less than $150K.

IMO that depends on how much the GT program paid for itself. 

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

The GT was a heritage car built specifically to win LeMans so no expense was spared.  The retail units were really only built for homologation.

I would say a lot of the $ will be related to the use of exotic materials...ie Carbon Fibre

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So what, Aluminum monocoque instead of the carbon fiber that the GT was? 

Exactly, or some combination of less expensive components.

Or I could be totally wrong and it’s just another $400k GT.

But I don’t see this one being eligible for a racing series.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Maybe something positioned against the zo6 and above? We're all sounding like a bunch of broken records,  but we'll find out tomorrow. It could be a million dollar car, a 200k car, or an 80k car. Or nothing at all. 

I've heard it could just be the GTD, or could be it's own thing. Some are saying the GTD is s650 based, but mid-engine, other reports are saying the mid-engine thing isn't s650 based at all. 

The GTD coming from people at the reveal event supposedly uses a 5.5 ecoboost engine, AWD, active areo, lots of carbon fiber, and is 400k with apply to buy programs. 

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

does anybody even buy these crazy mustang variants? I don’t get wasting the money on it.

Apparently, somebody must be, however, outsourcing to mulimatic probably doesn’t impact their engineering resources that much.  I was pretty excited to see what this was going to be, so this was definitely a let down for me.  

With that said, my son thought it was cool.

None the less, it's iffy if a front engine Mustang can compete with the mid engine cars in racing even if the sanctioning bodies hobble the mid engine competitors with ballast and intake restrictors. Probably not enough time to have a mid engine Mustang on the grid at Daytona in 2024, but may be needed by 2025...

6 hours ago, T-dubz said:

does anybody even buy these crazy mustang variants? I don’t get wasting the money on it.

GM Camaro owners trading in their cars for these new high end Mustang?

Maybe there’s a whole ‘nother market developing out there and that happens

to be GM folks that don’t want a rear engine Corvette

Edited by jpd80

17 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I was referring more so to the very limited versions they put out, like this GTD, cobra jet, etc. I guess they have to build them to be eligible for races.

they didnt exactly build a bunch of GT500s either...but get your gist...the Cobra Jet for one always had me head scratching...definitely a niche market there...wonder how many were actually produced...

• Like 1