2025 Mustang GTD Coming with 800+ HP and Rear Mounted Transaxle for $300K

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

Electric motors on the front?

We can hope good sir. Maybe it'll follow the approach the c8 has. A base model with a NA V8, followed by v8s with forced induction and hybrid assist, with some sort of EV model at the top. Perhaps these powertrains will be shared with higher end s650 models to help distribute develop costs across multiple products. 

We'll have to see what this ends up being. It could be a gt successor that's still like 500 grand with super limited volume. Or it could be a true c8/lotus rival, a relatively affordable mid-engine car. If it's the later, that would be awesome. 

• Like 1

Interesting move, Ford. Great job. I just hope that it has approachable pricing for the common person. Like C8 prices or slightly higher.

As @DeluxeStang said, hopefully it has a decent set of powertrain options.

I bet Dodge is mad they just killed off their Viper now.

Perhaps this has something to do with that off-road supercar mentioned by the CEO iirc? Or maybe it is too soon for that since it was mentioned?

Edited by Broncofan7

If this isn’t priced competitively with the C8, I’ll put in the meh category for me. The GT was an awesome car but it wasn’t obtainable for the average Joe.  It would be great if they would have a performance vehicle that is a step above the standard mustang, yet attainable for a larger number of people.  If it comes in just shy of the GT price point, I really don’t understand what the point of that would be.

This is still a pleasant surprise and I’m excited to see what they have to show. 

Edited by tbone
  • Like 1

With the mustang name attached to it, I would expect this to be cheaper then the C8, however like fuzzy said it’s being built by multimatic and it was referred to as a super car in the article. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this anywhere from 100-400k

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

With the mustang name attached to it, I would expect this to be cheaper then the C8, however like fuzzy said it’s being built by multimatic and it was referred to as a super car in the article. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this anywhere from 100-400k

I could see it being 100k with options. But let's analyze the automotive landscape. When the 2016 gt came out, there weren't a ton of affordable mid-engine cars. But now, sub 100k mid engine cars can be had from multiple brands. I think Ford is seeing the demand for more obtainable sports cars. They listen to their audience, and many criticized the gt for being too expensive. I expect them to rectify that, but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

I hope it's a sub $100K mid engine Mustang, and if so I'll probably be camped on a dealer's doorstep or online Thursday night to order one! But Autopian thinks it's a Boss 302 variant of the S650 and given the cost of tooling up a mid engine car, that's a more believable theory. But I'll be happy with whatever Ford gives us to catch the Corvette and humble the rest of the world's overpriced "supercars"!

40 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I could see it being 100k with options. But let's analyze the automotive landscape. When the 2016 gt came out, there weren't a ton of affordable mid-engine cars. But now, sub 100k mid engine cars can be had from multiple brands. I think Ford is seeing the demand for more obtainable sports cars. They listen to their audience, and many criticized the gt for being too expensive. I expect them to rectify that, but I could be wrong. 

Yeah I’m sure Ford was so disappointed that they sold 700 of them at $450k each or $315M in revenue and won LeMans.

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Do we know how many vehicles multimatic can build a year? This would be a good indicator of what we can expect. If they can only make a couple thousand a year, then expect a very high price. If they have the ability to make 10’s of thousands then we could expect a lower price. For reference, the corvette sells around 33k a year.

I see the current automotive landscape as a negative. All vehicle prices are rising. Many manufacturers have 100k+ vehicles now, where that price range used to be reserved for exotics only. Ford already has the f250 and f350 that top 100k, with broncos and lightnings getting pretty close. I would guess this vehicle would be a halo car and would be much more expensive then anything ford has on the lot already.

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

I hope it's a sub $100K mid engine Mustang, and if so I'll probably be camped on a dealer's doorstep or online Thursday night to order one! But Autopian thinks it's a Boss 302 variant of the S650 and given the cost of tooling up a mid engine car, that's a more believable theory. But I'll be happy with whatever Ford gives us to catch the Corvette and humble the rest of the world's overpriced "supercars"!

Except the people who've seen it have said it's a mid-engine car that doesn't use the s650 platform. 

51 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Do we know how many vehicles multimatic can build a year? This would be a good indicator of what we can expect. If they can only make a couple thousand a year, then expect a very high price. If they have the ability to make 10’s of thousands then we could expect a lower price. For reference, the corvette sells around 33k a year.

I see the current automotive landscape as a negative. All vehicle prices are rising. Many manufacturers have 100k+ vehicles now, where that price range used to be reserved for exotics only. Ford already has the f250 and f350 that top 100k, with broncos and lightnings getting pretty close. I would guess this vehicle would be a halo car and would be much more expensive then anything ford has on the lot already.

It could be a bronco vs bronco DR type situation. Where the production vehicle is built by Ford, and the race car is built by a third party. Most of what multimatic builds are track only racing vehicles, the production GT was kinda an outlier for them. Ford already has them building the bronco DR, and s650 gt3/gt4. 

It seems like multimatic couldn't handle taking on a full street production car line on top of that. Maybe the street car is built at one of Ford's underutilized plants, like flat rock, and the race car is made in low quantities by multimatic to go alongside all the other track only cars they're making for Ford currently. 

Again , we could be completely wrong, but we'll know in a few days. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Yeah I’m sure Ford was so disappointed that they sold 700 of them at $450k each or $315M in revenue and won LeMans.

315 million is nothing to sneeze at, but with how expensive it is to develop a limited edition hypercar using all unique parts and high end materials, I wouldn't be surprised if that program barely broke even. Someone else mentioned how the Corvette has sold about 33,000 units this year. Assuming an average transaction price of $80,000, that's over 2 billion. 

Edited by DeluxeStang

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

315 million is nothing to sneeze at, but with how expensive it is to develop a limited edition hypercar using all unique parts and high end materials, I wouldn't be surprised if that program barely broke even. Someone else mentioned how the Corvette has sold about 33,000 units this year. Assuming an average transaction price of $80,000, that's over 2 billion. 

Clearly Ford could financially benefit from an affordable mid-Mustang, but I am not aware of Multimatic having that kind of production capacity.  I’m really hoping for something attainable though, so we will see what they have up their sleeve.  

This is great! Finally, a mid-engined Mustang! I also wanted this to happen and had also been talking about this for awhile. It wasn't just you, DeluxeStang. :) It's possible that Ford had this project in development before this topic was even being discussed here. With Multimatic being reportedly involved, I'm thinking they may be handling the production of the racing version and Ford will build the road-going version at Flat Rock. I do wonder what it will be called, though, other than 'Mustang'. (now realized I was wrong about Multimatic/Ford production, thanks to two users here, so disregard this). I had suggested 'Mustang RS500' (for the 5.0L V8 displacement) in an old thread, linked below. I'm sure Ford has a better name for it and has something good planned for this whole mid-engined project.

I even suggested 'Mustang Ranchero' name for a 2-door Mustang-based pickup that was being discussed as part of theoretical Mustang sub-brand expansion in another old thread, also linked below. lol ? I also had ideas on expanding the 'Mach-E' lineup where the next generation MME goes on the GE2, in both 2-row and 3-row setup, while current MME gets redesigned on the new CE1 (which jpd80 had brought up in discussions, hence my quoting his posts) and renamed 'Mustang Mach-E Sport' to help amortize BEV development and production costs. So the mid-engined/expanded Mustang sub-brand topics have been discussed for quite some time here and Ford's official word of its mid-engined Mustang makes this even more exciting! Just curious, DeluxeStang, what engine do you think it will have other than the 5.0L? I'm hoping for the 6.8L/7.3L, in limited production of course. lol Hybrid with electric motors in front wheels is very likely as well.

Edited by pffan1990

6 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

With Multimatic being reportedly involved, I'm thinking they may be handling the production of the racing version and Ford will build the road-going version at Flat Rock. 

Ummm….they’re already doing that with the gt3 and gt4.  This is reportedly on a bespoke chassis.

• Like 1

I re-read the Ford Authority article after my previous post and seen Multimatic making the GT3 and GT4 and also the Bronco DR too, as it said. This is what happens when I don't carefully read the article before posting at late night. lol As for my thoughts of Multimatic building the racing version and Ford building the road going version of the new Mustang mid-engine car, which I now realized I was wrong, I was just hoping that Ford would have something else for the Flat Rock workers to build in addition to the Mustang S650. This project is still good news for Ford though and I look forward to hearing (and seeing) about it soon.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

They are hand built so only a few hundred at most.  This sounds like a slightly cheaper GT with a mustang badge.

That makes sense and is likely the case.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Ummm….they’re already doing that with the gt3 and gt4.  This is reportedly on a bespoke chassis.

53 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No

10 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I have no idea what's going on ?. Dealers report seeing something that wasn't s650 based. But this gtd thing is s650 based, but also could be the mid-engine car considering it has a bunch of rear intakes on the trunk and quarter panels. 

I lurk on the Mustang6G and Mustang7G sites and seen that the GTD is apparently the street-legal GT3 car. Maybe it's front mid-engined where the engine is pulled back a few inches? There's mention of DCT transaxle and using carbon fiber driveshaft. Dealers saying it wasn't S650-based could be that it was heavily-modified for production. Or perhaps there's two separate Mustangs shown to the dealers with the GT3-based GTD and the other one which is true rear mid-engined. Who knows?