Refreshed Hyundai Tuscon and Santa Cruz Debut in NY

Am I nuts, or did they find a way to make the SC even less attractive? I think it has something to do with the fact that the grille is a little more squared off, but the rest of the body was those softer, curvier lines compared to the body shape of something like a maverick. So you have this curve side surfacing with blockier front end graphics, it just doesn't flow well. It also looks like the plastic cladding for the arches is chunkier as well, which makes the rims look even more undersized. The mavericks design has aged quite well imo, the SC's design hasn't, and this makes it even worse. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I've seen a handful of them around, but I see a ton of Mavericks in my area. I'm not sure Hyundai is really on a truck buyers radar. 

I've seen a few near me, but I'm seeing way more mavericks. We briefly considered a sante cruz, but our main priorities when buying a small truck was buying something with good value,fuel economy, and low maintenance costs. 

It just seemed like the maverick blew the SC away in those areas. Not to mention I assumed because Ford is essentially the truck king, they were going to make a more robust truck than a brand who had no substantial experience making trucks in the N. American market. The SC just doesn't have anything that makes it stand out in my mind. 

Wow, I wasn’t sure Hyundai styling could get any worse.   I’m getting some Mitsubishi vibes (not a compliment) with those ugly ass big lights in the lower corners of the front fascia.  I’m also not a fan of the stacked pixel looking lights.  Just horrible. 

Edited by tbone
  • Like 1

I like most of the Koreans styling over the last 5-6 years but I don’t like any of the new stuff at all.  Just personal preference I’m sure they’ll sell just fine.

Santa Fe just looks like any other Asian crossover with the rear roof cut off.  And it’s really stubby.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Santa Fe just looks like any other Asian crossover with the rear roof cut off.  And it’s really stubby.

From what a friend was telling me, its pretty terrible looking in person-its too narrow and upright. 

21 hours ago, akirby said:

I like most of the Koreans styling over the last 5-6 years but I don’t like any of the new stuff at all.  Just personal preference I’m sure they’ll sell just fine.

I'm just gonna say it, there was a time when Kia/Hyundai design was being criticized for taking too much inspiration from premium European brands, and not being original. But I genuinely think their designs were far more attractive back then. They're trying to hard to be weird and quirky now. 

I appreciate designs that take chances, I've actually started to like a handful of newer Lexus and Toyota designs for that reason, like the new Prius. But the issue is a lot of these swing for the fences designs don't age well at all. 

Not to mention it almost seems like modern car designers are allergic to any form of cohesive design. They can't even stick to the same form language. We keep seeing designers who think having something go from being really blockier and squared off, to rounded and fluid. It's one of my biggest turn offs with modern design, you'll have this bulbous, curvy front end, and designers will give it a flat squared off grille or vents, it just looks terrible. 

16 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

From what a friend was telling me, its pretty terrible looking in person-its too narrow and upright. 

Agreed. The only aspect of the SC design I like is the taillights, and the lines on the tailgate. Well actually, I do like that diagonal line that runs near the top of the belt line as well. But I generally feel as though the maverick is the much better looking truck between the two, even if it looks a little basic at times, it looks almost timeless from some angles because of its simplicity. 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:09 PM, akirby said:

move seen a few Santa Fe’s and it’s definitely reminiscent of Flex, but worse.  The rear looks like an 70s-80s van

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

move seen a few Santa Fe’s and it’s definitely reminiscent of Flex, but worse.  The rear looks like an 70s-80s van

Yep, they went with a different for the sake of different approach. The front and side is like a flex with a hint of range Rover, not bad at all. But the rear end is God awful.