Ford has the highest percentage of vehicles that remain in operation

https://fordauthority.com/2024/03/ford-has-highest-percentage-of-cars-that-remain-in-operation/

It's funny how Ford's detractors always act like Ford's are the biggest pieces of crap on the road, doomed to be unreliable the second the warranty expires. Yet for a brand that everyone attacks, there sure seems to be a lot of Ford's on longest lasting lists. I see Ford's from the 90s and early 2000s still driving around pretty often for a brand that's apparently so bad at making reliable cars, that's all I'll say. 

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

They're showing raw numbers of vehicles "on the road", Ford leads because they built the most vehicles, not because they're more or less reliable.

No, they are showing percentages.  If a company produced 1 vehicle and it was still on the road, that would be 100%, and it would be in the lead (I'm sure there is a minimum number produced to be in this list, though).  It's not about sheer number of vehicles produced, it's about the % produced that is still out there.  Percentage is the key word.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

No, they are showing percentages.  If a company produced 1 vehicle and it was still on the road, that would be 100%, and it would be in the lead (I'm sure there is a minimum number produced to be in this list, though).  It's not about sheer number of vehicles produced, it's about the % produced that is still out there.  Percentage is the key word.

I think they just took all the vehicles currently registeredon and reported the percentage of each brand.  So 14% of all vehicles were Fords.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think they just took all the vehicles currently registeredon and reported the percentage of each brand.  So 14% of all vehicles were Fords.  

Article wasn't very clear, but this was my impression as well.

This may have been true in the past. It seems like 2015/2016 was a turn in the wrong direction in terms of reliability. I was just thinking today how many older Duratec V6 vehicles are out there still running around (older Edges, MKXs, MKZs, Flexs, etc.). That generation of Fords seems like a golden age for reliability. 

19 hours ago, Dequindre said:

This may have been true in the past. It seems like 2015/2016 was a turn in the wrong direction in terms of reliability. I was just thinking today how many older Duratec V6 vehicles are out there still running around (older Edges, MKXs, MKZs, Flexs, etc.). That generation of Fords seems like a golden age for reliability. 

Yes and no, the duratec stuff is pretty good, love our 2017 explorer with the 3.5, but keep in mind the late 2000s to early 2010s was also when Ecoboost reliability was generally at it's worst. At the same time Ford was making the rock solid reliable flex's and explorers, they were also making the fiesta and focus with that dreaded DCT, and the 6.0/6.4 power stroke. 

Fast forward to today, sure, the CD6 utilities aren't great, nor is the ecosport, but basically everything on c2 is rock solid reliable. The bronco sport, to a lesser extent the escape, and the maverick. The maverick is the first reliable entry level product ford has had since the 90s to early 2000s focus.

The bronco seems to be pretty reliable, the edge is good, the expedition isn't half bad. Ecoboost motors tend to be pretty solid now, the ranger is good, and ford trucks are on longest lasting lists. The 6.7 is probably the most reliable engine ever put in a super duty. The 5.0 in the mustang and f-150 is great, the 10 speed seems a bit iffy, but seems to be getting better. Most of the issues with that transmission seem to be getting resolved. Ford's hybrids are very reliable, and their EVs are getting better. 

It's not all sunshine and roses, Ford does a ton of recalls, and that's not fun. But Ford reliability is generally not too bad, it's a lot better than many of Ford's detractors will make it out to be. 

• Like 1

Combined GM brands adds up to 19%, combined Dodge/Ram/Jeep/Chrysler is 11.7%

and Toyota/Lexus 13.5%. So it is what it should be based on traditional sales profile

Edited by jpd80