Mercury Sinking

Throughout its history, Mercury has had its best years when its vehicles were dolled-up Fords. I do not mean this as an insult. Some Lexus and Acura models are dolled-up Toyotas and Hondas. Done well, it works. Some Americans will not buy a car with a Ford nameplate on it, but will buy a similar car under the Mercury banner.
A few paragraphs later,

Now they are making Lincolns out of fluffed-up Fords. Examples: the MKZ (ex-Zephyr) is a dolled-up Ford Fusion; the coming MKX is a fancier Ford Edge crossover SUV. They seem nicely done, yes, but they are still Fords with some nicer features.

ARTICLE LINK

:beatdeadhorse:

Edited by robertlane

Jerry Flint is a senile old man that has nothing better to do than rant on Ford and GM. I can't remember any article by him that actually had something positive to say. His pieces are nothing more than Captain Obvious commentary revealing nothing we already didn't know. It's like he reads what everyone else has compiled and theorized before him, and then regurgitates it through his own incoherent ramblings.

Edit: Check this out...nice research, Flint!

Some of the Mercury names in the table below might be unfamiliar. In 1999, the Cougar was a Mercury version of the Ford Thunderbird. The Sable was Mercury's slightly dressier edition of the Ford Taurus sedan and wagon. The Tracer was a small car, but Ford (nyse: F - news - people ) stopped making it in 1999, and in 2000 stopped building the Mercury Mystique, a good-handling European-designed small sedan similar to the Ford Contour
Edited by mustang84isu

Jerry Flint is a senile old man that has nothing better to do than rant on Ford and GM. I can't remember any article by him that actually had something positive to say. His pieces are nothing more than Captain Obvious commentary revealing nothing we already didn't know. It's like he reads what everyone else has compiled and theorized before him, and then regurgitates it through his own incoherent ramblings.

The truth hurts??

A quick note to everyone - this isn't a "news" piece from Forbes, this is "opinion." Nothing new will be found in the article, it is just Jerry Flint's view of Mercury.

I happen to disagree with him and see little reason for keeping Mercury in today's market. The "middle-upscale" niche between low-end Ford/Chevy/Toyota and high-end Lincoln/Cadillac/Lexus doesn't exist. Fords cost $30K, Lincolns cost $30K - where's the room for Mercury?

Axe the brand, spend the marketing money on Ford & Lincoln and the extra dimes spent on "differentiating" Mercury should be invested in material upgrades in the interiors.

Scott

Ford is simply destroying Lincoln and Mercury. They are moving lincoln down market where mercury should be and have no room for mercury. They won't even invest in unique sheet metal for Lincolns gussied up fords, that is when you know ford simply doesn't care about them.

Mid-level brands are dead anyway.

Look, you can go on about $30k Lincolns, but guess what?

MB C-Class: $29,650

BMW 3-Series: $30,900

Audi A3: $25,340

Volvo S40: $24,240

Cadillac CTS: $29,660

Don't act like Lincoln alone is stooping to offer a car for $30k or less. EVERYBODY'S doing it.

That's why brands like Buick, Mercury, and Chrysler need to be adjusted. They can no longer sell in some price gap between entry level and luxury.

Besides, it would cost Ford billions to shutter Mercury, and then Lincoln would collapse. They're Siamese twins that share a brain. You can't separate them.

I generally do like you...despite some disagreements...but I'm twitchy about "straight party tickets". Then again, I'm an Independent!

I saw the "Tuts", Richie, I'll reign 'er in a tad...

Anyway, someone call either of the Bills and tell 'em Mercury has a new product strategist.

Besides, it would cost Ford billions to shutter Mercury, and then Lincoln would collapse. They're Siamese twins that share a brain. You can't separate them.

That's the old school way of thinking. Ford is a "big tent" company with Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover, & Mazda that could all be potential partners for Lincoln dealers. Volvo in particular could be very attractive. Lincoln is a premium offering with upscale dealers which would be a great fit for Volvo. It would greatly expand the Volvo brand in the US which *could* be a very good thing. Besides, the female, GLBT, & Hispanic target market of Mercury is overlapped by Volvo's target growth markets.

Just thinking aloud.

Oldsmobile cost GM money because they tried to do a staggered phase-out of the brand - that didn't work for consumers or for dealers. GM essentially lost money on selling all of those Oldsmobiles for three years. And, because many Olds dealers were stand-alone, GM had to pay many of the dealers. If Mercury were culled it would be more like the Plymouth withdrawl - quick, painless, and no money lost.

Win-win for Ford if the Mercury "sacred cow" is put out to pasture. Focus on strengths, not money-wasting advertising and "waterfall" grilles.

Scott

Tut tut.... Let's not expand this exchange into areas of even less agreement and even more stridency, hm?

I'm Rick James, bitch!!!

Wait, no that was the Little Jon character that spoke in sweeping, literate English.

Yeah!! Okay!!! What??!! What??!! What??!! Okay!!!

Lincoln is a premium offering with upscale dealers which would be a great fit for Volvo.

I believe it was discussed in another topic how these two don't fit exactly - I think it was that the cigar-chomping Lincoln buyer would offend the family-oriented Volvo buyer. I still think Mazda and Volvo would fit nicely.

Edited by Roadrunner

I'm Rick James, bitch!!!

Wait, no that was the Little Jon character that spoke in sweeping, literate English.

Yeah!! Okay!!! What??!! What??!! What??!! Okay!!!

I believe it was discussed in another topic how these two don't fit exactly - I think it was that the cigar-chomping Lincoln buyer would offend the family-oriented Volvo buyer. I still think Mazda and Volvo would fit nicely.

Concur.

I still believe Mercury is relavent and has a chance. It should still be about vehicles that are more distinctive than Fords yet more affordable than a Lincoln. They just need to focus on having style that goes a little bit further than grille and trim changes to a Ford. The best example was the Thunderbird/Cougar duo of the 80's and 90's. They had two distinct looks and personalities while sharing platforms and major body componants.

Mercury could add the euro Focus cabrio to compete with the VW Eos and Pontiac G6. That would give Mercury something Ford don't have.

Mercury should bring back a Cougar as a more luxurious version of the Mustang.

The Grand Marquis needs to be replaced with a smaller sedan that can have a dual personality. Luxury or sport. Sort of Marquis/Maruader.

I would pair down Lincoln to a few exclusive models and get the styling away from sharing any sheetmetal with Fords. I'd get the Continental back in production as well as a Mark IX convertible as a halo car. If Ford can sell the Mustang as the #1 convertible then I am sure that Lincoln could sell one as a premium offering. And since Lincoln has nothing right now, the people with money are shopping other brands like Cadillac and Mercedes.

I was noticing today after driving by a Lincoln-Mercury dealer that I actually like the front end of the old Town Car more than the current one. Zephyrs to me look good sitting on the lots. I am just not looking forward to the MKS which has the front of an Acura with a Lincoln grille and the back end of an old Huyndai XG500.

i think he is saying what most of us mercury loving people have said for awhile. do you remember the montego mx? my dad had a brand new teal green two door, black top. first car i ever drove by myself. thats why i have always been a mercury fan. i just hope that ford does the right thing and saves the brand. i can think of more then a few people who would not drive a ford, but would a mercury. and they think the lincoln is too expensive. hell if the buick can survive, i would think mercury could. just bring back a real cougar, work on the GM, maybe a small front wheel drive sport truck, and mercury would last for awhile longer. just my thoughts.

i can think of more then a few people who would not drive a ford, but would a mercury.

These people need to quit being so melodramatic. A blind man can see a Mercury is literally just a re-badged Ford and has been for a long time now.

These people need to quit being so melodramatic. A blind man can see a Mercury is literally just a re-badged Ford and has been for a long time now.

Then what's your explanation for the significant difference in buyer demographics between Mercury and Ford.

People are not rational, and they do not make rational purchasing decisions.

And, Sixcav, this includes you as well as me.