2008 Ford 500

dug50

My current ride (old reliable 1996 Sable) is at the end of the line. I've been anxiously waiting for the repowered 3.5L 500 to come out. What's the latest word on when it will be intriduced and when it will go on sale?

Job 1 is around mid April IIRC. That should put them in dealer lots around mid May.

The way forward is way too slow! It's no wonder that Ford is dying. Unless they start delivering a full range of competitive products and soon, Ford won't have a tomorrow to worry about.

lol, i think this refresh\design was pushed forward a year or 2 off the bat... they are pushing this thing out in less than a year or deciding to do so... thats damn fast if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...
My current ride (old reliable 1996 Sable) is at the end of the line. I've been anxiously waiting for the repowered 3.5L 500 to come out. What's the latest word on when it will be intriduced and when it will go on sale?

I hear They rolled some 08's off the line this week for testing and they look awsome!

It better have an all new interior as well instead of that cheap one that looks like it was lifted out of the Freestar that it has right now..

My Brother saw all three and his personal fav was the Freestyle, said it was Fusion like and all of the cars share sharp chrome exhaust outlets, he said the cars need bigger wheels though, he was impressed for the most part,

Members that post here may very well have better information on the future Five Hundred than I have access to. In great anticipation, I hope that they have good information because I really would like to see the Five Hundred develop into the market leading vehicle it has the potential to be.

From the beginning, the 500 has been dogged by complaints of poor styling and under performance. I agree on both counts. Unless Ford makes major changes in the 500's appearance and even optional performance, the 500 will never be more than a marginal replacement for other vehicles.

It better have an all new interior as well instead of that cheap one that looks like it was lifted out of the Freestar that it has right now..

I don't know what your looking at, but the interiors in the 500's are a hell of alot nicer that those in Freestar vans. The material on the dash is made of soft touch foam, and is nicely blended. The interior in the Freestar is bland with hard plastic.

I don't know what your looking at, but the interiors in the 500's are a hell of alot nicer that those in Freestar vans. The material on the dash is made of soft touch foam, and is nicely blended. The interior in the Freestar is bland with hard plastic.

After examining the Fusion/Milan/MKZ at the auto show recently, I was plesantly suprised that the dashboards had padding that was a very firm but pliable foam. This is much like what VW is using now for a great quality fit, feel and finish. I was expecting either hard grained plastic or a thin layer of vinyl injected over a cheap plastic base that would distort or crack after the first summer. Now it's the Mustang's turn.

It looks cheap to me, and very bland, not anywhere to being comptetitive in the class it's in...

It looks cheap to me, and very bland, not anywhere to being comptetitive in the class it's in...

I just see a problem in the styling of the interiors. They look like copies of old VW's and Audis. Problem is VW and Audi have moved on since then and the style has advanced into something fresher and more appealing which leave the Ford interiors looking five years too late not to mention the exterior styling. That's what happens when you design cars while looking at a competitors current model for comparison. A good design team will take the good methods and engineering of the competitor and advance the design to make it better quality where applicable but also advance the style so it's something fresh, exciting and new.

Ford needs to be a leader.. Not a follower always trying to play catch-up...

And like I have said before... Target customers may have had a preference for a vehicle like a Passat or Audi but Ford should not have taken that to mean they have to make it look like one. The fine points they needed to emulate was vehicle quality, packaging, vehicle dynamics, feautures, content and a modern sophisticated look. That does not mean copying the style of the competitive car out of insecurity that nothing styled unique in house with it's own brand DNA could sell. Ford thought if they made it look like what the target audience would buy it would be a safe bet. How wrong they are...

500-2medium.jpg

anyone can confirm, I was correct in this chop?

Igor

It would be perfect if it had shoulders that dive from a high decklid down to the low fender lines. Also if the the roof was flatter and not arched. And if the taillamps were made not to remind me of an old Passat.

I dunno what it is about black paint but it looks good on most sedans provided they have nice wheels and some restrained brightwork here and there on the body design. Add in the black leather seats with white stitching.

Actually what can make a car look cheap is a monochrome interior where certain items look better in a constrasting color. I certainly like the Mustang's new interior color combos. I remember a long time ago when carmakers started making interiors look monochromatic in gray and beige and I was thinking that looks cheap like a base model. I also favor black steering wheels covered in leather and some cars look better with the dashpads and tops of the door sills in black. But please I hope that GM's bluish charcoal never makes a comeback. It always looked like to me black that has discolored.

Midnight blue with a Chamois colored leather interior... Now there is a 1977 flashback...

This is close but has nicer interior and the 3.5 for sure. The Montego looks a lot better to me though.

So... the 2008 is *finally* getting the 3.5L? Excuse me while I breathe a quick sigh of relief...

I'm seriously hoping the information you got is accurate-- if not, Ford is going to have a lot more than styling to worry about...

So... the 2008 is *finally* getting the 3.5L? Excuse me while I breathe a quick sigh of relief...

I'm seriously hoping the information you got is accurate-- if not, Ford is going to have a lot more than styling to worry about...

It's nothing to be amazed or relieved about... Over the last 3 years there's only been 1 real source that said otherwise. The engine was designed for this car. It is only by accident (incompetence... massive failure...) that it wasn't in it at first launch.