Why do I still like Ford?

I've been a supporter of Ford for some time, but I recently had to ask myself why?

They build no products I want to buy.

Sure, if I was in the market for a crossover I'd check out the Edge, or if I wanted a pickup I'd certainly check out the F-series. But I'm not in either of these markets and likely won't be anytime soon.

And yes, I own a Mustang, but the current one doesn't appeal to me. It became too large and the GT500 is simply unattainable and ridiculously heavy for its already-too-large size. I wouldn't consider buying an S197 to replace my '97 Cobra.

When I was in the market for a new daily driver, I was looking for a decent midsize sedan. I pondered waiting for the Fusion, but as soon as I heard there was not going to be a manual option on the V6, Ford lost me as a customer. I ran out and bought the closest thing to it: a Mazda6.

So why do I support Ford if they don't build anything that really interests me anymore? Why does anyone here support them? How many of you actually own these NEW Ford products?

Maybe in the future Ford will build something I want, but until then, expect to see me being a bit more critical of their strategies and product from here on out.

:rant:

Edited by NickF1011

Good Post,

Lets see my old man worked for them and will be retiring next May. A Plan FTW! ;)

I had a SVT Focus that was a major POS and showed me why people would want to change to an import.

I fell in love with the 05 Mustang and things worked out and I got my 06 GT last March. Its been a great car so far. I had a 98 GT before the SVT, and I'm not really getting where your saying its such a huge car. It got massaged in the right spots, the egonomics are worlds better. It looks bigger then it really is.

I feel your pain about the Fusion V6 lacking a Manual, I would have gotten that instead of Mustang.

I have a couple ideas of what I want for my next car, I love the Edge, the MKZ and the Volvo S40. What I get next all depends on where I'm at in life, but the game plan is to keep the Mustang around for a very long time, since I'm at the point in life I can do that. I'd be willing to give up 5/6 speed for an Edge, but I wouldn't be excactly happy with it since the only thing I drive normally has a manual it in.

well... because i have own 3 fords in a row without any problems... before that i had a toyota and honda that where POS and got rid of them within 2 years each..

1993 Tbird LX 5.0 HO... well simply put, the best ford car i have ever owned.. bought at 34k drove to 133k.. never ever in shop for anything! everything worked when i traded it in..

1997 Tbird LX 3.8 -- nice car, loved the new enterior and outside.. but 3.8 was kinda bad for a heavy beast, was in shop for a bunch of things.. but only after getting tboned by a caddy deville, great car thou.

1999 Contour SE sport v6 mtx -- well, what can i say bought brand new with 3 miles, kept it till 118k... was in shop for a balljoints, tierods, wheelbearing after 88k.. before that nothing.. did regular maintenance.. for being a "POS" thing outlasted my friends 99 honda accord LX v6.. go figure.

i now own a 06 Fusion SEL... 3600k.. well cd player stopped reading CDs a week after i got it! but other than that no complaints atm.. after having the contour for 7 years.. i have grown tired of manual shift.. other than having the joy of shifting the gears yourself, the manual is nolonger really faster than a auto these days, and i like mustang, and the trucks, but cant really see spending more than 22-24k for a vehicle really, fusion only cost my 22k...

so, until a ford car totally screws me, i will keep buying them, why not? the vaunted toyotas and hondas i had were crap...

I've been asking myself that question a lot for the past two years or so. Ford's products are no doubt the best they've ever been, with the recent qualtiy reports in, the company has a lot to be proud of. But it seems that more and more, Ford is unable to deliver a best-in-class product. Sure, they're fully competent, but they should be the best-in-segment, as every new/redesigned vehicle ought to be. Why was the new Fusion rated below the three year-old Accord? Why is the new Escape launching with a four-speed automatic instead of a six? Why is the F-150 underpowered/600 pounds too heavy? Why isn't there a six-speed auto in the F-150 last year? It also seems that Ford has a huge inconsistancy of features across the product line up. Ford should standardize features like theater lighting, one-touch up and down windows (ALL windows), four headliner-mounted grab handles (Edge and MKX lack ANY) and many others little "niceities" across-the-board. As for supporting Ford, I'm uncertain about the genesis of my infatuation. I come from a very loyal GM family (non employee). I'm the only one that drives a Ford. I think it started when I was about five when I started to get interested in cars. I saw that generally, GM vehicles (of the 1980s and 1990s) were ugly/boring and thier Ford counterpoints were far better looking. As a five year-old, I also thouht the blue color and the fancy script looked much cooler than the blocky, san serif, GM emblem. Perhaps I wanted to be different, I'm not sure, but I guess I was just born a Ford fan.

why do i love ford....umm...why do i follow the lions when they are miserable....tiger's when they sucked....not certain either...but in my heart all the same....think it was the attraction to me as a kid that they were family owned and the old man himself was the face of the company long before i was around.....grew up in a gm family and have had cars that are much better-no doubt-but just seem to root for them.....maybe they will be the next tiger's!!

but right now they are more like the lions-how suprising considering they are owned by the same family!

oh well....it could be worse....it would of sucked to be a fan of amc, desoto, packer, etc!

I've been a supporter of Ford for some time, but I recently had to ask myself why?

They build no products I want to buy.

Sure, if I was in the market for a crossover I'd check out the Edge, or if I wanted a pickup I'd certainly check out the F-series. But I'm not in either of these markets and likely won't be anytime soon.

And yes, I own a Mustang, but the current one doesn't appeal to me. It became too large and the GT500 is simply unattainable and ridiculously heavy for its already-too-large size. I wouldn't consider buying an S197 to replace my '97 Cobra.

When I was in the market for a new daily driver, I was looking for a decent midsize sedan. I pondered waiting for the Fusion, but as soon as I heard there was not going to be a manual option on the V6, Ford lost me as a customer. I ran out and bought the closest thing to it: a Mazda6.

So why do I support Ford if they don't build anything that really interests me anymore? Why does anyone here support them? How many of you actually own these NEW Ford products?

Maybe in the future Ford will build something I want, but until then, expect to see me being a bit more critical of their strategies and product from here on out.

:rant:

U. I CANT BELIEVE IT. You are a bigger fan of Ford than Richard and Igor. What gives? Dont worry I already know. heartbreaker.gif:sos: The Troller and 2012 are not that far away.

Why do I still LOVE Ford?

The bank that they own, that's why...

You realize the way our banking system is, if one goes down, they all do, remember what happened on 9/11?

I couldn't use the ATM until the next day, it sucked!!! That, and 3000 ppl died, that sucks too.

I have to say I've asked myself the same question a lot lately. There really aren't that many products they make that I would consider buying, and I have yet to buy a new car anyways so it hasn't been an issue. Heck, I finally broke down and bought a non-Ford used vehicle because there simply wasn't anything from Ford in my price range that I liked, so once I sell my 2002 F250 (anyone interested? ;) ) it will be the first time in my life I don't own a Ford. Out of their current vehicles there's probably a handful I would own and be proud to drive - F-Series hands down (but I'm out of the fullsize truck market for awhile), Volvo S40 (I love the volvo look on this car but it's a little pricey for me right now), Fusion/Milan (I'd like a nicely optioned I4 in black of either - good mileage, good style, but I'd also like AWD with the 4-cyl, not available), Edge/MKX (stylish little devils but also out of my range), and of course Jaguar (gorgeous, WAY out of my price range). I loved the Lincoln LS, but it's gone. I like the Mustang, but it would do much better as a second car, and I'm not at that stage of earning yet. I don't like the look of the Explorer, the Expedition, the new Escape, the Focus, the 500, the Town Car, Navigator. So, I still root for Ford, kind of like a sports team I guess. Hopefully someday when I am ready to buy a new car they have something that gets my blood flowing.

Edited by swenson88

I can say that while Ford doesn't have anything that gets my blood boiling, they do have a few products that, from a practicality standpoint I certainly could buy. The 500 and Freestyle are the only cars of their type at that pricepoint on the market. The 500 has the huge interior, the mafia trunk, and has the fit and finish of a bank vault. AWD available as well. The Freestyle is a slam dunk for me except for the unknown reliability of the CVT. The Fusion is a good car on paper but I don't like the new Ford design direction. I just don't like the chrome grill and the chrome around the tailights. The car itself is fine. Mustang? We all love it, right?

Now Mazda? The car I would probably buy over a Freestyle is a Mazda 5. The 5 is my favorite car on the market right now. Sporty, manual transmission, three row six passenginer seating, sliding doors, and 30MPG. Perfect car. All the wife has to do is say the word and the CR-V is gone, replaced by a 5.

I love the 3 as well. The 6 is, for better or worse, the car the Fusion could have been. Seems to me Ford could have saved a LOT of money by just doing a mild reskin of the 6. Yes, it looks that much better than the Fusion IMHO. Oh, and the manual with the V-6. Love it.

Let's not forget one thing about the new Ford products right now. You seen any massive recalls? Any "smoking gun" underdeveloped issues? Nope. Good design and screwed together the way they should be. The last three out, the Mustang, 500, and Fusion have ALL had good initial quality and no big recalls. Get em over the 100K mark without any problem and I'm 100% sold, at least mechanically. Still don't like the Fusion/Edge "razor blade" grill, but that's a matter of preference.

OMG! Another Mazda customer.

Geez. Bec, thanks for adding yet another coin to the 'brand management works' piggy bank. You like Mazda products, pretty much stem to stern.

Intriguingly, you also don't like the compromises on the Ford side (or their style). Brand management works. In Bizzaro-world, Bec5150 likes the livability of the Ford Fusion over the quirky Mazda6, and appreciates its bold styling.

To paraphrase Alfred P. Sloan: A car for every taste.

It's a little curious because I have never been so completely repelled by Ford brand products, but I am solidly drawn to their other brands, specifically L/M and Volvo. In either case, I'm still serviced well under the FoMoCo umbrella even though my tastes and attitudes have evolved since my Ford days.

It's a little curious because I have never been so completely repelled by Ford brand products, but I am solidly drawn to their other brands, specifically L/M and Volvo. In either case, I'm still serviced well under the FoMoCo umbrella even though my tastes and attitudes have evolved since my Ford days.

Cha-ching. Another dime in the "Brand management works" piggy bank.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the strength of the other brands that pulled me away from Ford. About 2 years ago, I was shopping at a Ford lot. Now I can't imagine ever going back now that I can get EXACTLY what I'm looking for from the other Ford brands. Too bad Mercury doesn't have the Edge!

Lincoln-MKS-rendering.jpg

The image above (of a Lincoln concept)

Wow why cant Ford have stuff like this?? In the United States

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=20831

This is from this website's Lincoln forum. Our "Ford Insiders" in Australia are tight lipped but feel the Lincoln sketch is not unlike the style and size of Orion, the 2008 Falcon.

"WOW If Ford made that car here I bet they would sell them all, cool picture, were can I see more of that car?"

Ford Australia Forums

Why do I still like Ford? Lets just say I have a soft spot for them because in the past they made just what I was looking for. Starting with my first cars and trucks (64 Galaxie and 60 F100) they just felt right. For many years I looked at all the brands, but always ended up buying a Ford because they had just what I wanted. Then in about the late 90s the cars Ford built seemed to be less Ford and more of the homogenized drek that was filling the marketplace. That, combined with the overall poor level of dealer service (the dreaded "they all do that" as the answer to whatever brought you into the service department) spurred me to look at other brands. I found vehicles that better suited my needs and tastes, and dealers that knew the meaning of customer service (ironically Saturn, GMC, and Chevrolet). Over the last ten years the fleet has gone from all Ford to no Fords in daily service. Someday I hope that Ford again has products that I want, and that their dealers get the message. I still like Ford and want them to do well, so that they can some day build something for me again.

To a point. My original post was mainly in reference to the Ford BRAND as opposed to the entire company. Sure, I ended up with a Mazda, which Ford owns PART of. But how many people know that? Not too many. They see a Mazda and see a Japanese car and not an American one. The Ford BRAND needs to have the "gotta have" products that will make its BRAND image stand out in the public's mind again. After all, the vast majority of revenues come from the Ford brand, not from their sliver of ownership in a Japanese car brand that still thinks rotaries are cool.

To a point. My original post was mainly in reference to the Ford BRAND as opposed to the entire company. Sure, I ended up with a Mazda, which Ford owns PART of. But how many people know that? Not too many. They see a Mazda and see a Japanese car and not an American one. The Ford BRAND needs to have the "gotta have" products that will make its BRAND image stand out in the public's mind again. After all, the vast majority of revenues come from the Ford brand, not from their sliver of ownership in a Japanese car brand that still thinks rotaries are cool.

Hey rotaries are cool. At 7000 RPM. When they don't flood. When they don't get oil hungry.