Full Test: 2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus AWD (Edmunds)

waymondospiff

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...icleId=117551#7

My opinion: the Edmunds.com staff expects to pay less for an American car vs. a foreign-badged competitor. They mention the Pilot & Highlander as similarly-priced competitors and basically state the Edge is too pricey (~$36,500 - VistaRoof, Nav, Audiophile, rear-seat DVD - essentially loaded.) Well, if Honda & Toyota can charge mid-$30Ks for a CUV, why can't Ford - if it is as good.

They have problems - no transmission control, aggressive-nondefeatable ESC, curb weight, poor interior control "feel" (not appearance), and poor fuel economy (14.7mpg over 700 miles.) All very real, but it seems like they purposely LEFT OFF some of the Edge's key advantages, namely the ride & handling.

Bias? Probably some, but what they discuss as problems are very real...so I'll say it's a "mixed review."

Also, the author addresses Ford's delay on the Edge/MKZ launch. He reasons that it isn't just "consistency" but that Ford may be actually changing some small things that reviewers have griped about before the vehicle launches. Anyone heard anything to confirm/deny that assessment?

In a recent official announcement, we have just learned that Ford Motor Company has decided to put the brakes on the release dates for the Edge and its luxury platform mate, the Lincoln MKX. They say putting the release off until late December (more likely early 2007) will allow them to address quality issues before the vehicles are in the hands of the public. Saying, "The manufacturing process and the supply base aren't to the level of consistency and stability we'd like to see," we more accurately suspect early tests and the resulting reviews of these two vehicles have had a chilling effect on the company's plans. While these kinds of delays are not uncommon (as with the Pontiac Solstice, among many others), it does speak to the importance of this crossover to the future health of FoMoCo, and to the power of unbiased reviews such as this one.

Scott

Everything that has shown up "officially" just stated a 2 week delay. Not "weeks" or into 2007. Not that things couldn't change...

Mine is still on order. But my dealer has been up front with me and I have no expectations of being given a hard and fast delivery date. I know about when it'll be here. Good enough for me. The car I'm trading off works and I own it. So I guess I'm lucky. I'm willing to wait a few months for them to get it right.

They have problems - no transmission control, aggressive-nondefeatable ESC, curb weight, poor interior control "feel" (not appearance), and poor fuel economy (14.7mpg over 700 miles.) All very real, but it seems like they purposely LEFT OFF some of the Edge's key advantages, namely the ride & handling.

Err.. Ride and handling are the Edge's "key" advantages?

Those are two of the things most reviewers agree are less than impressive, some magazine even went as far as saying it's no better than the Explorer in that regard.

And here's YET another review complaining about the D35's poor fuel economy...

hint hint.

And here's YET another review complaining about the D35's poor fuel economy...

hint hint.

:rolleyes: Way to jump to a conclusion. The D35 is utilized on 2 platforms, one being a very heavy crossover and the other primarily being demo'd on an AWD sedan. Yet, you sit back and act as if Ford utilizes the engine across multiple (more than 2) platforms, and in each case the engine gets horrible fuel economy. I mean where is the logic behind that?

Ignore the fact that an A4 3.2 Quattro 6-spd auto gets 19/26 vs. an MKZ AWD getting 18/26 (on regular octane gas mind you). Granted Ford sucks, it isn't fair to hold it in comparison with the rest of the competition, as everything that company dreams up is half ass'd

that seems to be a consensus as well....just read a review in usa today-james healy-who is pretty good judging vehicle-said the same thing.....vehicle looks great...drive's poorly

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/review...1-16-edge_x.htm

Due to RSC, not the suspension.

I wonder what the deal is with the MPG and Edge, or if its something that "needs" to break in after a while. I know my Mustang got incredibly bad MPG for the first 8K miles or so, but I get about 20-21 now driving the same route and way.

If it's anything like the D30, the engine might take approx 4K miles before it's fully broken in. When I first bought my Fusion I was getting 16-17 mpg in city/freeway driving. It now has a hair under 5K and I'm getting 23 mpg with the same driving style.

It rankles people on this site when reviewers expect the Ford brand to cost less than a near-luxury import brand for equal or better content, but that's the reality in the marketplace. Many consumers (and reviewers) simply don't think that a Ford/Chrysler/Buick/Saturn brand is worth the same monthly payment as an Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, MB, etc.--no matter how good the underlying vehicle may be.

The price of the tested Edge was exactly the one I posted on last week: at this price ($35K+), they get marginal reviews, and sit on the sales lots.

It rankles people on this site when reviewers expect the Ford brand to cost less than a near-luxury import brand for equal or better content, but that's the reality in the marketplace. Many consumers (and reviewers) simply don't think that a Ford/Chrysler/Buick/Saturn brand is worth the same monthly payment as an Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, MB, etc.--no matter how good the underlying vehicle may be.

The price of the tested Edge was exactly the one I posted on last week: at this price ($35K+), they get marginal reviews, and sit on the sales lots.

No it rankles people on this site when the press rambles on and on about the price of a crossover that is priced competitively against its' primary competition the Nissan Murano (and it's not like the Highlander is priced much better)

If that's the case Ford would never move Eddie Bauer/Limited Explorers, or most of the Expeditions the company has sold to date.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

I find the reviews odd. I've seen some complain about the 3.5 noise, while others lauded its smoothness. I've seen some enjoy the ride/handling, while others didn't like it.

The brakes seem to consistently get knocked, so hopefully that'll be addressed ASAP.

Autoweek complimented in the Mazda CX9 but wasn't as complimentary of it in the Edge. I find that kind of weird. Hopefully these pre-production Edges just had some bugs that are currently being worked out.

I find the reviews odd. I've seen some complain about the 3.5 noise, while others lauded its smoothness. I've seen some enjoy the ride/handling, while others didn't like it.

The brakes seem to consistently get knocked, so hopefully that'll be addressed ASAP.

That does seem to be a problem, and I really hope Ford corrects it.

If the Edge had a "T" or an "H" on the hood, the press would be gushing all over the vehicle giving it praises from the high heavens. Since it has a Blue Oval, they point out every little thing, and keep the fact that it costs $1,000s less than a comprobably equipped Murano. To me, the press keep ranting, but all I hear is :blah: Wait till they actually reach lots, buyers own them, and then give their reviews.

Edited by 05fordgt

More crap. Geez. At this rate, I'm going to start paying for content again. The stuff you get for free nowadays is terrible.

Please note the following gaffes:

"At about 8 inches shorter than a Ford Explorer in length, 6 inches fewer in height, but more than 2 inches wider, the Edge casts a pretty big shadow in traffic. We were surprised to look eye-to-eye with and take up as much lane width as Jeep Grand Cherokees and Ford Explorers."

Uh. 6" shorter than the Explorer and one sentence later saying that they were looking "eye-to-eye" with Explorers? Please. Get your facts straight.

"But in the end, it was the non-defeat stability system (and much touted Roll Stability Control) whose constant vigilance put a 58.9-mph cap on the handling prowess."

Actually, you CAN turn off the ESC. You just have to - DUH - read the owner's manual.

"Curious to see what would occur if we selected "L" at freeway speeds"

Yeah. Real dunderheads.

"only to have the revs rocket up over 6,000 rpm"

Only to have the NEXT reviewer complain about how 'unrefined' the 3.5L is. Thanks to idiots behind the wheel.

"we more accurately suspect"

Yeah. To say that their suspicions are more accurate than official company statements requires more than a wink and a nod as proof.

"it does speak to the ... power of unbiased reviews such as this one."

Uh sure. Whatever. Another member of the pcsario "Everyone's biased but me" club.

Get real. This is just more trash from Edmunds. I wish they had a paid subscription I could pick up and then cancel in a huff.

CU doesn't even claim to be unbiased. They say that they endeavor to be unbiased.

Behold the brilliance of Chris Walton:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee95cf0/0

Duhhhhh I hit a copper pipe that I should've seen through the rear window, and it's the pipe's fault. And the parking assist.

And I'm going to write about it on the 'net.

Edited by RichardJensen

bash the naysayers all you want...it is a conspiracy against ford...but if the reviews are positive then someone must know what they are talking about!

if they are so biased how come everyone seemed to like the styling? maybe they all got that email heh...."go easy on the styling-bury the rest"

unlike us...they have actually driven the vehicle...so they have more experience with the vehicle than any of us....

will pick up this thread monday-won't change over night for sure-big football game-go blue!

A bit more opinion from me: the more I read these reviews, I really do think Ford will easily hit their 100-130K/yr target. Not a single review has said the vehicle looks bad. With the vanity of many people (and really, the Edge is all about looking good - it holds no real functional advantage over other vans/CUVs/SUVs) and the fact that it drives "decently" (at least, although I expect it is better than is being told) will mean people will buy it.

How long is the average test drive? Especially when the sales weasels have a test drive "route" for you to follow? If the Edge has a good "shine" to it then it'll leave the lots in the hands of many happy shoppers.

The challenge/problem/quandry I see will be if the Edge isn't actually that "good" (which many reviews are leading us to believe, whether we believe them or not is another matter...) will Edge owners swear off future Fords? Ford needs to please enough people that they'll come back to buy another Edge or a Fusion or a "Fairlane" or what have you when it's time to trade in. Right now I'm a bit worried if the Edge is that "good."

Scott

bash the naysayers all you want...it is a conspiracy against ford...but if the reviews are positive then someone must know what they are talking about!

if they are so biased how come everyone seemed to like the styling? maybe they all got that email heh...."go easy on the styling-bury the rest"

unlike us...they have actually driven the vehicle...so they have more experience with the vehicle than any of us....

will pick up this thread monday-won't change over night for sure-big football game-go blue!

1) Everybody has a bias.

2) crappy writing is crappy writing, whether positive or not. That, folks, is my real issue. Not only is this guy in deep denial over his biases, but he also is a bad writer. He's better than Daniel Pund, our distinguised Lincoln Navi/MKZ reviewer, but this whole article still has a 'dashed off between breakfast and brunch' feel to it. It lacks polish, it is more substantive than the Lincoln reviews, but it is still so far from what I would consider even remotely acceptable from any professional writer.............. This is sophomore in college writing for the school paper quality stuff.

that seems to be a consensus as well....just read a review in usa today-james healy-who is pretty good judging vehicle-said the same thing.....vehicle looks great...drive's poorly

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/review...1-16-edge_x.htm

This review is better than the Edmunds crapola....... It still has a few too-conscious reaches for dramatic language, "meant to halt the sales bleed-out that began when gasoline prices zoomed and buyers shunned fuel-thirsty truck-based SUVs such as Ford Explorer", but on the whole, THIS is what I expect from a vehicle review.

Healy in USAToday kinda supported my observation. He said that the Toyota Highlander didn't have a third row seat for the same reason that Ford saw fit not to put one in the Edge. Toyota now offers a third row seat in their Highlander and, what do you know? 75% of them are bought with the third row.

I think that the lack of a third row was a mistake. Even a kiddie row would have been acceptible.

Countering that: Toyota (until recently) had no other crossover with a third row.

True, but they do now, as an option, and 75% of the customers seem to think it's worthwhile. So, what do you think? Mistake? Missed opportunity? Ford does claim that the Fairlane based CUV will have a third row, which brings me to my other issue...

Escape, Edge, Explorer, Freestyle, Fairlaine, Expedition...and all of these are running separate platforms. Not very efficient and there has to be some model overlap here somewhere. I mean, really, how many SUV/CUV's do you need?

Countering that: Toyota (until recently) had no other crossover with a third row.

Umm...since 2004? And now they have two.

True, but they do now, as an option, and 75% of the customers seem to think it's worthwhile. So, what do you think? Mistake? Missed opportunity? Ford does claim that the Fairlane based CUV will have a third row, which brings me to my other issue...

Escape, Edge, Explorer, Freestyle, Fairlaine, Expedition...and all of these are running separate platforms. Not very efficient and there has to be some model overlap here somewhere. I mean, really, how many SUV/CUV's do you need?

Freestyle & "Fairlane"/P.M.F.K.A.F. both ride on D3. Lots of overlap though...but finding the right vehicle for the right customer. Although I do think Freestyle & Fairlane will be a little too close for comfort.

But look at the other products on each platform:

Escape/M/T: CD2 (orphaned now, derived from old 626)

Edge: CD3, Fusion/MKZ/Milan/MKX, CX-9, 6, JDM MPV (derived from original Mazda6)

Freestyle/Fairlane: D3, 500/Montego/MKS/Lincoln "Fairlane" (derived from Volvo's S80/XC90)

Explorer: ??, Sport Trac - possible move for the next Ranger - pretty much stand-alone

Expedition: T1/T3/T4 (???), alone now, shares with the next F-150

For the most part each platform is shared with other non-CUV products. Plus with the likely move from CD3/D3 to an EUCD derivative that'll combine those two platforms and (if? when?) a new E/M/T SUV is brought out it will likely update to either CD3/EUCD or C2. I wouldn't worry about the multiple platforms.

Scott

The only thing that concerns me about the Edge/MKX is the fuel economy. Otherwise, most of the other gripes seem to be a matter of opinion or preference. The Edge performs about as well as I expected, which is to say it's a very 'average' sort of product.

I would like to see a better designed interior, one that better matches the price of the car, but otherwise it looks easy to live with. The MKX interior is just about right. But I'm not kidding you when I say that I may not buy an MKX because it does not come equipped with HID headlamps. This is one feature I refuse to give up in favor of 'adaptive' headlights. However, I'm sure most people don't quibble about these things. Either way, I can always try an MKZ which has quad beam headlights anyway (very useful on those long dark highways late at night).

Edited by BORG

T1 already has substantial parts sharing with the F150--I believe everything in front of the firewall is shared, as well as the brake systems, steering, and a fair bit of the ladder frame in front of the IRS section.

Also--

Ford has both the Edge and Freestyle opposite Toyota's Highlander, therefore, I am inclined to suspect that a 3rd row really is not an issue. It has not been an issue with the Murano, and when you set the Edge against the Murano and Highlander it becomes pretty clear which vehicle the Edge is closest to in style.

T1 already has substantial parts sharing with the F150--I believe everything in front of the firewall is shared, as well as the brake systems, steering, and a fair bit of the ladder frame in front of the IRS section.

Also--

Ford has both the Edge and Freestyle opposite Toyota's Highlander, therefore, I am inclined to suspect that a 3rd row really is not an issue. It has not been an issue with the Murano, and when you set the Edge against the Murano and Highlander it becomes pretty clear which vehicle the Edge is closest to in style.

No issue with those 60k annual Murano sales.

So Ford builds a crossover to sell to the people wanting a more car-like experience and better mpg than your average SUV, and they build one that drives like an SUV, and get even worse miles per gallon!!!$#%@

How on Earth can an Expedition EL get better fuel mileage? How?

And longer stopping distances than a Super Duty??? That's unbelievable... :banghead:

Hopefully it's just a bad batch of pre-production pads, this thing should be stopping from 60 a good 30-35 feet shorter than it is.

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting the IV drip of Ford Kool-Aid like you guys, Ford needed a home run and they hit a bunt. :nonono:

Edited by Blueblood