Automotive News: Navigator Grille a Big Seller

range

Automotive News 11/27/06

"Dealers have ordered 50 percent in body color and 50 percent in chrome, Lincoln officials said.

But the chrome has proved surprisingly popular. In fact, it's in such demand that dealers are ordering the chrome applique as a $50 service part to retrofit Navigators already on their lots.

"It was kind of an interesting surprise that more customers than we were thinking were actually interested in the chrome applique on the mustache," Viera said.

The service part is now on back order. Lincoln is considering making the chrome mustache a stand-alone option so dealers can get the full chrome grille without having to order it as part of a package, Viera said. "

So wait, let me get this straight, the uglier the better they sell?!

the first Navi was UGLY compared to the first gen Escalade, the second Escalade was UGLY compared to the second Navigator, and now we will see if the pattern works on the Navigator cuz it's really FUGLY.

There are more important issues for the Lincoln Division to address besides the issue of chrome or body color grille treatments for the new Navigator. Lincoln Division needs a long term product development plan that produces vehicles that are unique to Lincoln but with a common design theme that will be distinctive for Lincoln vehicles and provide the retail market with a disctinctive Lincoln alternative to Cadillac and others.

There are more important issues for the Lincoln Division to address besides the issue of chrome or body color grille treatments for the new Navigator. Lincoln Division needs a long term product development plan that produces vehicles that are unique to Lincoln but with a common design theme that will be distinctive for Lincoln vehicles and provide the retail market with a disctinctive Lincoln alternative to Cadillac and others.

You should have signed up for the Ford employees exbhition or whatever it was.

"I thought that we, collectively, ALWAYS knew best, and that if we said the grille on the Navigator was an abomination, well, then the market would respond by pelting it with tomatoes or something."

H.L. Mencken once observed, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public".

The grille does suck. But check out the big Mercedes: it's over-wrought. The giant Lexus SUV is so awkwardly dull, you can fall asleep looking at it. So, the Nav has lots of company.

WHAT?

You mean that people on this board can be WRONG about Ford?

SHOCKING. Absolutely shocking.

I thought that we, collectively, ALWAYS knew best, and that if we said the grille on the Navigator was an abomination, well, then the market would respond by pelting it with tomatoes or something.

To be fair, all the article states is how those buying the new Navigator are choosing the chrome mustache over body-colored mustache. What it does not say is they are selling MORE Navigators than before, just that the ones people are buying are being bought with the 'stache. Just thought I'd be a jerk and ruin the parade ;) Don't misunderstand me, I desperately want Lincoln to succeed, I just don't think the new Navi is what I expected from any sort of Lincoln turnaround.

To be fair, all the article states is how those buying the new Navigator are choosing the chrome mustache over body-colored mustache. What it does not say is they are selling MORE Navigators than before, just that the ones people are buying are being bought with the 'stache. Just thought I'd be a jerk and ruin the parade ;) Don't misunderstand me, I desperately want Lincoln to succeed, I just don't think the new Navi is what I expected from any sort of Lincoln turnaround.

Well, looking at last month's Navigator sales, it appears the volume is increasing as well. I think this month's numbers will be a better indicator however, as most of the '06 stock is likely gone by now.

I like the Navigator's nose and interior, the rest of the vehicle looks very outdated, especially when parked near a new Escalade.

I would also prefer the chrome mustache, I can't stand the chrome vs. monochrome trim design. If it's suppose to be chrome, don't paint it! I can't think of anything more outdated.

Edited by BORG

maybe there is something about the buyers that we don't know.

Example, last weekend I'm showing my wife the Edge on Fords website. I then show her the MKX and she says the grill looks way nicer. She hates the 3 bar Ford grill.

So maybe, just maybe the design will be more appealing to the masses. Kind of like when Ford introduced the aero '97 F150

Well I think we should all celebrate that even though the Navigator is without a doubt the worst vehicle in its class by far, with the worst powertrain, misaligned tail lights, carried over sheetmetal and a tacky interior. Great job ford for having it sell decently.

maybe there is something about the buyers that we don't know.

Example, last weekend I'm showing my wife the Edge on Fords website. I then show her the MKX and she says the grill looks way nicer. She hates the 3 bar Ford grill.

So maybe, just maybe the design will be more appealing to the masses. Kind of like when Ford introduced the aero '97 F150

Heh...my wife likes the chrome bars more than the other grilles. I showed her a Fusion and a Milan parked together last year, and she thought the Mercury looked "angry, real serious".

She thought the Navi was a photoshop joke. I haven't broken it to here yet.

Heh...my wife likes the chrome bars more than the other grilles. I showed her a Fusion and a Milan parked together last year, and she thought the Mercury looked "angry, real serious".

She thought the Navi was a photoshop joke. I haven't broken it to here yet.

I agree with your wife that the mercury looks aged, the front of the milan is just plain especially underneath the grill it is just generic with no emotion. I prefer the fusion front end with the milan rear end.

Edited by DCK

I agree with your wife that the mercury looks aged, the front of the milan is just plain especially underneath the grill it is just generic with no emotion. I prefer the fusion front end with the milan rear end.

HA! I agree completely! Everytime I see the Milan's rear I love the taillights, they're awesome. I don't mind the Fusion's, but the Milan's are just beautiful. I wonder if I could buy a Fusion and swap the rear ends . . .

HA! I agree completely! Everytime I see the Milan's rear I love the taillights, they're awesome. I don't mind the Fusion's, but the Milan's are just beautiful. I wonder if I could buy a Fusion and swap the rear ends . . .

You could. You will need a decklid, bumper cover, taillamps and some minor specific trim items. Or you could do vice versa.. Get the Milan and put a Fusion front end on it... You would need a hood, headlamps, grille and bumper cover for that.

have only seen 1 07 navi on the road in my travels......i commute 120 miles a day...friday after t day trip from jersey to s carolina..........and didnt see one.....

local dealer still has 5 , 06 's......but all 2nd row buckets....if pewter one had 2nd row bench i d get it..... they offered it to me for 15k off sticker a month ago and it still sits..........

Haven't seen a new Navi on the road around here yet. I did see a new Expedition the other day though and it's very good looking.

Yep, just saw a new Expy EL a couple hours ago. I thought it looked great in person. Definitely looks NEW despite all the carryover. It was some dark blue with the tan trim. Guessing it was an Eddie Bauer. Nice combo.