Toyota's teething problems in Texas

swenson88

Two articles that show the difficulties Toyota has been having on trying to produce a truly competitive fullsize truck and get it to market in a timely fashion:

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...024/cara_submit

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...024/cara_submit

Whats the payload capacity of the 4.0L V6 equiped version? Seems awefully dimunitive for a "full size" I suppose its not to different from the old F-150's that had straight six's those things where SLOW...

Whats the payload capacity of the 4.0L V6 equiped version? Seems awefully dimunitive for a "full size" I suppose its not to different from the old F-150's that had straight six's those things where SLOW...

The Ford's had a 300 cubic inch 6 though, so they had a fair amount of torque & could tow decent loads.

Edited by RancorKeeper

The Ford's had a 300 cubic inch 6 though, so they had a fair amount of torque & could tow decent loads.

True, 300CI is 4.916119 liters and where generally in regular cab short box 4X2's. AT least that where I had only seen them.

So current Tundra specs are:

4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve EFI V6 with VVT-i

236 hp @ 5200 rpm;

266 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

Hope that engine is available in the 4x4 double cab so I can pass them on the hills with my yugo!

Toyota doesn't need to hurry, they are selling everything they build (just about). That Ford I-6 is awesome. I know someone who has bought several and plans on holding onto them keeping one to use, one being re-built and one for future rehab. His current is an extended cab green/brown five speed. It is a beautiful truck. The one being re-built now is a brick red shorty also with a 5-speed. Another beauty. Now forgive me because I'm not a truck guy, but isn't it still prudent to NOT build a regular cab pick-up? Chevy and Dodhe sell them, don't Ford owners want them? Wouldn't that get even more sales back from the competitition? Those short box regular cab Fords of the 90's are awesome!

True, 300CI is 4.916119 liters and where generally in regular cab short box 4X2's. AT least that where I had only seen them.

So current Tundra specs are:

4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve EFI V6 with VVT-i

236 hp @ 5200 rpm;

266 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

Hope that engine is available in the 4x4 double cab so I can pass them on the hills with my yugo!

back then there were no crewcabs.

pickups were sold for work and the 300 was one of the best work engines out there.

In my childhood, my father sometimes used a '59 Dodge pickup that belonged to a guy he shared workspace with. It had a 6-cyl (slant 6 I suppose) and 3-on-the-tree. I remember my impressions of riding in that thing, my dad pulling from a stop, with a load of boards and tools in the back, not running the revs up very high, and just running up through the gears up steep Seattle hills as if the hills weren't there.

That thing is hideous, it looks like a Avalon with a bed.. But I really don't like the fact that for the next 3 years Ford will be down 81 horsepower to frikking Toyota in the market they own..

Ford should have kept the Lightning motor around as an option until the Hurricane arrives whenever that is going to be..

In my childhood, my father sometimes used a '59 Dodge pickup that belonged to a guy he shared workspace with. It had a 6-cyl (slant 6 I suppose) and 3-on-the-tree. I remember my impressions of riding in that thing, my dad pulling from a stop, with a load of boards and tools in the back, not running the revs up very high, and just running up through the gears up steep Seattle hills as if the hills weren't there.

My recollection as well - my old Ford was simple enough to drive around town, regardless of conditions or load. I recall loading it with sheets of plywood, all the way to the brim, for a delivery between construction sites in different towns, and while it needed to be driven a bit gingerly, it handled the load, no groaning. Now that I think about how I beat that truck, I also remember a buddy's car breaking down on the way to work, and he did not want to wait for a tow. We lashed his spare to the grille /bumper of my truck, and pushed him about a mile to a spot near the work site.

Pickups were generally owned by people who needed them, back in the day. More about function, less aout style.

The 300 Six was junk. I mean, hell, after 300 or 500K miles they needed a rebuild...<grin>.

Seriously, these big inlines gave torque that V-8's could only dream of and gave new meaning to the term "bulletproof."

I had a 76 Full sized Ranger 4x4 with a 300 straight six. Frue it was slow, but it would pull harder than any 302 Truck I had used, got better gas mileage and was smoother running. AND it lasted for 289,000 miles when I sold it and it went on after that. Edited by ebritt

Buddy of mine has a 1993 150 extended cab with a 300/auto drivetrain. If I can get it bought right, I am going to try to get it. They suck gas from what I hear, but it would be cool to have anyway. My Ranger has treated me fine, but I always would like to have a little more room.

• 3 weeks later...
I guess they aren't wanting to do it like Ford...introducing an engine with previous generation engines...

A small number of 5.7 engines were delivered from Japan for pre-production Tundras in San Antonio. But Toyota wants 100 percent of the V-8-equipped pickups made in Texas to contain U.S. engines. The Japanese 5.7 will be shipped temporarily to a second Tundra production line in Princeton, Ind.

Then they will just ship them from Japan to Indiana, then to Texas. Then they will say it is 100% American Assembled. And of course people will believe it.

the thing that scares me is if ford does not dick tate the specs and leaves it to the supplier were screwed....good eg is the 6.0 litre from international.its a hit and miss motor...........if you got a good one :reading: yea...if you did not toyota is calling you.......and thats a lot of bucks them folks forked out and ford let them slide........and am not even a pickup buyer so if i hear it ................

the thing that scares me is if ford does not dick tate the specs and leaves it to the supplier were screwed....good eg is the 6.0 litre from international.its a hit and miss motor...........if you got a good one :reading: yea...if you did not toyota is calling you.......and thats a lot of bucks them folks forked out and ford let them slide........and am not even a pickup buyer so if i hear it ................

See thats the rumor I heard that Ford dictated the 6.0, and international didnt want to do it, who knows the truth. :banghead:

I guess they aren't wanting to do it like Ford...introducing an engine with previous generation engines...

Huh?

The 5.7L is Toyota's only new truck engine, the other two are carryovers. The 4.0L V6 is from the Tacoma/4Runner and the 4.7L is the current (and only) Toyota V8 truck engine. They are nothing new.

The article does not mention any of the engine's torque stats, only peak horsepower numbers. Hint to AUTOweek: Trucks need broad, flat torque curves, something you never mention.

My favorite quotes from the article: "The 5.7 is critical to us," says Ernest Bastien, Toyota's vice president of the vehicle operations group..."The development timetable wouldn't allow it," he says. "Engineering resources are scarce."

Yes Toyota, you do need to launch your third strike Tundra with at least one new engine, and you need to push that Alabama engine plant's schedule way ahead of their original launch date. Rush, rush, rush, the new Super Duty is coming and Toyota needs those Tundras. You had better meet their new schedule or Toyota will fire your non-union asses and replace them with Japs! :hysterical:

Seriously though, pushing an engine plant's schedule 6-months early on an all-new engine is asking for trouble.

• 1 month later...

I had an 84 F150 with a 300 in it. I abused that thing to no end. I even ran it out of water once and overheated it. I drove it six months after that before the head gasket let go. I yanked it out and put a 351w in. I should have overhauled the ole 300. I still couldn't believe how good the fuel injected 300's ran. I thought they were extremely smooth for an old motor.

the old straight six has enough tq to take a Cayenne off the line. I've seen dyno numbers on those things.....its pretty impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
That thing is hideous, it looks like a Avalon with a bed.. But I really don't like the fact that for the next 3 years Ford will be down 81 horsepower to frikking Toyota in the market they own..

Ford should have kept the Lightning motor around as an option until the Hurricane arrives whenever that is going to be..

LOL LOL, it does look sorta like an Avalon.

Stupid Toyota.

We laugh at them.........but, in a while, they'll be running this country.