Put the 3.5 in the fusion!

ford1

Camry got the 3.5.... need to keep up to be competitive

By now just about every competitor has a 3.3-3.8L V6 putting out around 250hp or more. I'm pretty sure the 3.5L isn't going into the Fusion until at least the 2008 model year because hell, it just barely debuted in the MKZ, MKX, and Edge and I don't think the volume is up nearly high enough to spread to other models yet. But, it needs to be in there as soon as possible.

I remember everyone lamenting last year that the Zephyr should have had a unique engine to differentiate it from the Fusion, blah, blah, blah. Now, everyone wants the MKZ engine in the Fusion.

How times have changed... ?

I agree though, the 3.5 should go in. I just don't want to hear any bitching about how the Lincoln's are just rebadges. When every other manufacturer does it, that argument get old.

I remember everyone lamenting last year that the Zephyr should have had a unique engine to differentiate it from the Fusion, blah, blah, blah. Now, everyone wants the MKZ engine in the Fusion.

I agree though, the 3.5 should go in. I just don't want to hear any bitching about how the Lincoln's are just rebadges. When every other manufacturer does it, that argument get old.

But the MKZ will likely get the 3.7 Duratec soon. That should quell that argument for a year until everyone starts complaining that the Fusion should have the 3.7 too. :hysterical:

That's the problem. The engine in the MKZ is already behind much of the competition. The 3.5L V6 in the MKZ and new SUV's is a great engine for the Fusion and would put it near the top of the midsize mainstream food chain. In the MKZ it's ho-hum. I DO want the MKZ to have a unique engine or at least unique power ratings, similar to how say a Camry gets 269hp but a DI, high-compression version of that engine gets 306hp in certain Lexus models. Just different compression (with premium fuel) for Lincoln models would be good for a start, but not giving the Fusion the 3.5L is just holding it back.

I think the 3.5 will probably debut as a SVT before we get in the other models.

I dont see why Ford would offer an engine in SVT guise that would only make the car competitive with whats offered normally by other manufacturers right now. A turbo 3.5 and awd....now thats something that would be justification for the SVT name. A 3.5 in a fwd platform and labeling it as an SVT just does not make sense with me. Offer the 3.5 NA in the fusion and make it stand out from the rest of the crowd and then offer something really special and save the svt name for that.

But the MKZ will likely get the 3.7 Duratec soon. That should quell that argument for a year until everyone starts complaining that the Fusion should have the 3.7 too. :hysterical:

Lincoln should always have a 10-15 hp difference from Ford equivalent. What would really make Lincoln different from Ford, aside from styling, is a 7-spd transmission. Stlying, 10-15 hp, and 7-spd auto would go along way in breathing new life into the brand.

• 2 weeks later...

All I know is that I've been waiting for the rumored Fusion ST (3.5, manual, awd) for almost a year-and-a-half now. My wife knows that I'm going to be at my Ford dealer the day I can order it, and I'm only too happy to put my money where my...er...posts are.

When Ford builds the damned thing, that is.

better put the 3,5 lt V6 out the Fusion....... put it in the new, midezise 4 door sedan based on the new Interceptor RWD sedan, with a Mustang-based platform. Maybe the interceptor must be a big car ( Galaxie or LTD) and the mide size must be a new low cost rwd sport sedan ( Falcon ?, Fairlane? ) with solid rear axle.

The Fusion is out-fashion.....after i´h saw the Interceptor, i dont want anything else but this wonderful car.

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know if the Duratec 3.5 can selectively deactivate any of its cylinders?

I ask only because improved fuel economy might be a tie-breaker for potential customers.

No, it does not. And it doesn't help as much as you'd think in the real world unless you're on a flat freeway with the cruise on.

• 4 weeks later...
I think it would be better to leave the Duratec 30 in the mainstream models for better fuel economy and have the Duratec 35 in a top-of-the-line performance model.

D30 is on the way out. The only V6's are likely to be the D35 and D37 (with various induction and injection systems).

6 speeds are coming.

There was a rumor of a 2 door Fusion (ala Solaris) last year.

All I know is that I've been waiting for the rumored Fusion ST (3.5, manual, awd) for almost a year-and-a-half now. My wife knows that I'm going to be at my Ford dealer the day I can order it, and I'm only too happy to put my money where my...er...posts are.

I'm guessing that you won't be going to the dealer anytime soon !

Management just does not believe there is enough demand for a manual in that vehicle and research backs them up ! Prior to the introduction of the Fusion, there was a web site that asked what options folks wanted. V6 with manual was very, very low option request.

Go look at a Mazda6 or better yet the MazdaSPEED6 !

Management just does not believe there is enough demand for a manual in that vehicle and research backs them up ! Prior to the introduction of the Fusion, there was a web site that asked what options folks wanted. V6 with manual was very, very low option request.

I know of at least 3 people personally who would buy such a vehicle from Ford, myself included. I'd really rather not buy a Mazda again. I like Ford, I want to buy a Ford. So Ford, dammit, build something I'd want to own again.

THAT comment backs up all we have been trying to tell Zan...but he is a stubborn SOB and wants his way, this comment may have his and Nicks mug shots plastered on milk-cartons...no manual ZAN!!!!!!!! AND research backed it up....

Edited by Deanh

THAT comment backs up all we have been trying to tell Zan...but he is a stubborn SOB and wants his way, this comment may have his and Nicks mug shots plastered on milk-cartons...no manual ZAN!!!!!!!! AND research backed it up....

So they won't ever offer a manual. I won't ever own a Fusion. Neither will a lot of other people I know. Pretty simple. Sucks to be Ford.

So they won't ever offer a manual. I won't ever own a Fusion. Neither will a lot of other people I know. Pretty simple. Sucks to be Ford.

You'd think if they aren't going to offer manual's, than at least they'd start putting automatics that can be paddle shifted and DSG's and stuff like that to make them a little more exciting, even some bargain basement cars have paddle shifters now, I don't think Ford makes them in anything all the way up through PAG.

Nothing Bold about catering to the geriatrics..