2009 P415 F150

g48150

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I don't know why everyone is worried about the Toyo 5.7. Toyo is probably more worried about having a competitive LD diesel to Ford's CGI motor due with the 2009 F150. With gas prices staying high, the big motor news is diesels, not 380hp gassers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Powertrain guy and I love to talk about engines and trannies but ...

You guys still don't get it !!!

This is about World Dominance in the automotive (including light/medium trucks) market. The Japanese (Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc) are on top now and they plan on staying there.

Most people know why there is lots of angst about the light duty truck market. It is the one market segment that Ford and GM are still making lots of $$$ and the Toyota and Nissan want a bigger piece of that $$$ volume !!!

You need to understand Japanese business philosophy. They think long term, 10, 20, 30 even 50 years out.

When a Japanese company (not just an auto company) decides to "conquer" a marketplace, their first products are typically not very well received (look a first gen Japanese small pickups). They learn from those mistake and come out with a much "better" product (this might take as long as 5-10 years; they may also decide to just give up because there is not enough profit potential).

If they are "still in it to win it", the 3rd revision usually is the "home run". So it took the 20 years to get there. True, but they have a product that the market place wants.

Probably the smartest thing that Toyota did was build that truck plant in Texas ! Why ?

• It is in the country where the product will be consumed
  • Texas (like most southern states) would not require a union workforce (at least to start with)
  • Texans buy the most number of pickups per household of any state

The last bullet is incredible important ! Workers are likely to buy what they build (duh!). With a lot of new Tundras parked in driveways around San Antonio, it won't take long until "the guy down the street" takes a closer look and maybe decides to buy one. Yes, it will take many years to conquer this marketplace, but look at the minivan market !!

While it might not be "Dead man walking" yet for Ford and GM (but I think it is for Chrysler !) it is only a matter of time before they both become another "also ran" in the truck market !

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Powertrain guy and I love to talk about engines and trannies but ...

This is about World Dominance in the automotive (including light/medium trucks) market. The Japanese (Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc) are on top now and they plan on staying there.

Most people know why there is lots of angst about the light duty truck market. It is the one market segment that Ford and GM are still making lots of $$$ and the Toyota and Nissan want a bigger piece of that $$$ volume !!!

You need to understand Japanese business philosophy. They think long term, 10, 20, 30 even 50 years out.

When a Japanese company (not just an auto company) decides to "conquer" a marketplace, their first products are typically not very well received (look a first gen Japanese small pickups). They learn from those mistake and come out with a much "better" product (this might take as long as 5-10 years; they may also decide to just give up because there is not enough profit potential).

If they are "still in it to win it", the 3rd revision usually is the "home run". So it took the 20 years to get there. True, but they have a product that the market place wants.

Probably the smartest thing that Toyota did was build that truck plant in Texas ! Why ?

• Texas (like most southern states) would not require a union workforce (at least to start with)

The last bullet is incredible important ! Workers are likely to buy what they build (duh!). With a lot of new Tundras parked in driveways around San Antonio, it won't take long until "the guy down the street" takes a closer look and maybe decides to buy one. Yes, it will take many years to conquer this marketplace, but look at the minivan market !!

While it might not be "Dead man walking" yet for Ford and GM (but I think it is for Chrysler !) it is only a matter of time before they both become another "also ran" in the truck market !

Personally I think Ford should stop being "PUSSYS" in their advertising campaigns and attack head on, crash tests, durability, capability, structure AND overall maintenence costs over the long run are WAY cheaper and have longer intervals on the F-150....kick em back! The Toyota adds are totally mis-leading and the public is lapping it up! Run a clip of the ford, chevy and Tundra hurtling across their brytal test road ( SIlverstone I think ) then show some off roading with the Tundra puncturing its gas tank THAT SITS BELOW THE FRAME RAILS!

Personally I think Ford should stop being "PUSSYS" in their advertising campaigns and attack head on, crash tests, durability, capability, structure AND overall maintenence costs over the long run are WAY cheaper and have longer intervals on the F-150....kick em back! The Toyota adds are totally mis-leading and the public is lapping it up! Run a clip of the ford, chevy and Tundra hurtling across their brytal test road ( SIlverstone I think ) then show some off roading with the Tundra puncturing its gas tank THAT SITS BELOW THE FRAME RAILS!

According to most marketing types, it's generally not a good idea to specifically mention ANY of your competition in your advertising if you are a well-defined market leader in that segment. All it does is give them validity that they ARE in fact competitors. Ford does a good job with the F-series ads as it is. They will usually just hint about a particular vehicle that they are better than. Truck people usually know which of their competitors they are talking about. Look at the new F-150 crash test ad. They are obviously jabbing at Toyota, but they don't need to say as much.

On the other hand, when you are fighting to get back IN to a segment, comparing yourself to the competition often works very well. Look at the Fusion Challenge ads for an example of that.

According to most marketing types, it's generally not a good idea to specifically mention ANY of your competition in your advertising if you are a well-defined market leader in that segment. All it does is give them validity that they ARE in fact competitors. Ford does a good job with the F-series ads as it is. They will usually just hint about a particular vehicle that they are better than. Truck people usually know which of their competitors they are talking about. Look at the new F-150 crash test ad. They are obviously jabbing at Toyota, but they don't need to say as much.

On the other hand, when you are fighting to get back IN to a segment, comparing yourself to the competition often works very well. Look at the Fusion Challenge ads for an example of that.

then tongue and cheek it and just cover up the badges...LOL! "Here we have three un-named competitors...whose names will reamin anonymous....that are attempting to knock Ford off the King of the mountain...lets see some live footage....."....or how about a mock up Road and Track test driver interveiwing saying the Ford was a little sluggish, and the interveiwer pointing out he was towing a Tundra backwards around the track? "oooops...forgot to unhook them from the tow off???????" Or two kids doing the container lift at home...kid with a toyota pulling up a box...kid with a ford lifting up his dads weight bench.....? Hell, I should have stayed in advertising.....

Edited by Deanh

then tongue and cheek it and just cover up the badges...LOL! "Here we have three un-named competitors...whose names will reamin anonymous....that are attempting to knock Ford off the King of the mountain...lets see some live footage....."....or how about a mock up Road and Track test driver interveiwing saying the Ford was a little sluggish, and the interveiwer pointing out he was towing a Tundra backwards around the track? "oooops...forgot to unhook them from the tow off???????" Or two kids doing the container lift at home...kid with a toyota pulling up a box...kid with a ford lifting up his dads weight bench.....? Hell, I should have stayed in advertising.....

The tongue-in-cheek approach seems to be where they are now with the Mike Rowe commercials. I think they're pretty good.

My younger brother has become fascinated with the phrase "Fully boxed frame, Mike!" :hysterical:

The tongue-in-cheek approach seems to be where they are now with the Mike Rowe commercials. I think they're pretty good.

My younger brother has become fascinated with the phrase "Fully boxed frame, Mike!" :hysterical:

:hysterical: funny.....I have always questioned why ford doesn't run a national competition "Design a Ford ad"....GOOD publicity, prizemoney, good PR...and then they could have a 30 minute TV show that accomplishes something that MASSIV advertising companies can't....a public perspective and I can GUARANTEE there would be some long needed humour...along the lines of the Joe Izusu adds...and also...would remove Ford from any of the political incorrectness that stops them from actually NAMING the inferior brand....nice and SNEAKY! Hell i may post this topic in the thread managemant apparently reads??????? Royalties of course....

Edited by Deanh

At this point, would the Ford Marketing go beyond having a hot girl screw (or do a dry hump grind) a guy all over his brand spankin new 14 MPG F150!!!!

I don't think so...

where the hell did that come from??? hold it I'm gonna take a walk into left field....hey...did you drop this tube of clearasil?

Maybe its you that doesn't get it,Ford has always based there company vision on there trucks. This country is based on the small business guys,and they use trucks to get there work done. Yes we have moved more towards a service sector,but there is still a big need for trucks.

I wouldn't be so confident that Toyota is all that unstoppable. They just had one of there worst recall years last year where they recalled more vehicles than they sold. No matter if they are the media's darling now,that got some attention from the automotive observers. Another year like that could be a major setback(as Ford has seen lately)for there image. For some reason you think Japan's business sector is better than the U.S. There are many U.S. companies that beat there asian rivals,you just don't hear that on CNN. It's easier to drag the few through the mud and say all is doom and gloom.

... This country is based on the small business guys,and they use trucks to get there work done. Yes we have moved more towards a service sector, but there is still a big need for trucks.
I agree with that statement 100% !

... I wouldn't be so confident that Toyota is all that unstoppable.

Its not that Toyota is unstoppable, it about the future existence of Ford Motor Company. It is actually in Toyota's best interest (politically) to not let Ford go out of business !

... For some reason you think Japan's business sector is better than the U.S.

No I just think they have better management !

I took the salaried buy out in Feb 2007, with 30+ years of service, 10 on my last job assignment. In the prior 16 months, I had 5 department managers. At the time I left, my Department Manager, Chief Engineer, Director and Vice President had a combined "time on current assignment" of about 6 years ! Only the Director had been "on the current job" for more than 3 months !

My signature line was "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

I agree with that statement 100% !

Its not that Toyota is unstoppable, it about the future existence of Ford Motor Company. It is actually in Toyota's best interest (politically) to not let Ford go out of business !

No I just think they have better management !

I took the salaried buy out in Feb 2007, with 30+ years of service, 10 on my last job assignment. In the prior 16 months, I had 5 department managers. At the time I left, my Department Manager, Chief Engineer, Director and Vice President had a combined "time on current assignment" of about 6 years ! Only the Director had been "on the current job" for more than 3 months !

but you have to agree though that comparing an F-150 or RAM that is in its last model year against a tundra that has not even completed its first model year is a fairly unbalanced comparison. Let us wait till next year when the new RAM and F-150 are out and see how they stack up.

Ford is much better off now that it has downsized, it has got rid of some of the bureaucracy and made it more direct. The fusion and edge are both selling very well, and the kaizen philopshy they're applying will be good for long term growth. We didnt get into this shape overnight and were not going to become the world class company we once were overnight either. We aren't waiting till the last model year to make changes, and our quality has improved dramatically. Anyone who works at Ford knows that we need to tailor our demand to the lower end of the market, but they also know that we have the products world wide to accomplish these goals. Thinking from a 50 year perspective we still have many challenges, but as we start stablilzing our marketshare and growing again we will see a more effective management structure. Its hard to keep morale high in a down sizing state.

At the time I left, my Department Manager, Chief Engineer, Director and Vice President had a combined "time on current assignment" of about 6 years !

Hmm. Ford management was sclerotic and ineffective, and you're saying that turnover is bad? Honestly, I'd be more upset if you'd told me that the people on the job when you left had been there for years.

• 4 weeks later...
They better come up with something. I remember watching a TV show where an SVT spokesman was talking about the 2003 Lightning and boasting about being the leaders and mentioning, "Where's the competition?" blah blah

Then they got it in a form of a high dollar, high Hp Dodge SRT RAM. And now...

ty20062007tundrashowtruc20112583.jpg

Try Toyotas definition of a sport truck: Supercharged, 580hp, and 6spd. Coming soon.

Is this the new Ford Lighting? I heard that the next all new F Series will be based on a shared platform with Toyota! The reason is simple since Ford has very little money and trucks are decling in market share, Ford decided to team up with market leader Toyota!

Is this the new Ford Lighting? I heard that the next all new F Series will be based on a shared platform with Toyota! The reason is simple since Ford has very little money and trucks are decling in market share, Ford decided to team up with market leader Toyota!

I hope that's the dumbest thing I read all week.

Maybe its you that doesn't get it,Ford has always based there company vision on there trucks.

Uh I would not go that far, maybe for the last 10 to 20 years at most. but that is it.

Ford really only started to make trucks a top priority in the mid late 90's. Prior to that they were still using tech and designs that were decades old. Ford only started to make trucks a number one priority when profits from truck sales were matching and by passing those from the cars.

Matthew

this is for you it has your name all over it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h0z6vkcY10