Lincoln RWD Concept @ NAIAS

LincolnFan

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...22263&vf=26

According to this, it will be built on the Mustang platform. This flys in the face of all the speculation of a Aussie Ford coming to NA (For now at least).

There have been rumors and speculation of:

a) The Aussie "Orion" (E8),

B) A Streched Mustang (D2C) and;

c) A Five Hundred RWD (E) platforms.

Hey, whatever works, just get it to market ASAP.

Edited by Hugh

There's also this question that has been bugging me, is there anyone here who can confirm that the D2C is NOT a flexible platform?

Those who argue that D2C is not flexible drive me crazy. D2C employs most of DEW98's front frame structure and DEW98's basic floorpan setup and tranny tunnel design. D2C is also a more rigid structure than is DEW98. Given that rigidity is a key component of how flexible a platform is in terms of length, and that the floorpan design is another key component.... well given the fact that DEW98 was designed to be flexible and that D2C improves upon those areas relative to DEW98....

I think the D2C naysayers are about to eat a whole lot of crow.

Edited by jlsaylor

. D2C employs most of DEW98's front frame structure and DEW98's basic floorpan setup and tranny tunnel design.

The tranny tunnel is entirely different. That was one of the main obstacles of adapting the DEW98 for the Mustang. The manual tranmissions would NOT fit in the DEW98 transmission tunnel.

Everything else is pretty spot on though.

The tranny tunnel is entirely different. That was one of the main obstacles of adapting the DEW98 for the Mustang. The manual tranmissions would NOT fit in the DEW98 transmission tunnel.

The Lincoln LS did have a manual transmission when it first came out. Only the 6cyl models had it. Do yoiu mean a v8/manual combo wouldn't fit? I don't know what a difference that would have made.

So what if anything is the Orion supposed to underpin? I understood it was a quick fix for a RWD sedan? And we have crossovers blooming everywhere, in all shapes and sizes no?

The Lincoln LS did have a manual transmission when it first came out. Only the 6cyl models had it. Do yoiu mean a v8/manual combo wouldn't fit? I don't know what a difference that would have made.

I'm going to guess the TR-6060 for the big gun GT500 had something to do with that.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.

That explains why there wasn't a Manual with the V8.

The Mustang has a V8/Manu combination so that means they fixed the problem.

Now what else is wrong with the D2C? It doesn't seem there's much problems with the D2C except the bean counters who cheapened the Mustang mechanically.

So the Jag S-Type has no manual trans?

Suicide doors? the rear doors are really small compared to the front ones.

5.3 on the V6... What kind of numbers is the boss going to pull? 4.4?

Apparently it does employ suicide doors, but they aren't the RX8 style clamshells you may think them to be, but rather proper full-size rear doors. The fold in the magazine is giving the impression that the doors are shroter than they actually are. Get hold of an issue, push the pages flat against a table, and you'll see that the doors are indeed full size.

So basically, Ford is resurrecting and updating the LS! Great!

The logic eludes me here. Doesn't Ford understand that

the reason that Caddilac made a "comeback" is because

they started putting cars on the road at mid range prices?

If they want to drag out a LS replacement, thats fine, but its gonna

have to list in the 25-32K range to get some traction... NOT 40K+.

They might just as well strip a TC, use cloth seats, steel wheels,

halogne 4beams instead of the HID 4beams, replace the upscale

dash with the green VFD dash from the other "panthers" and

otherwise just make it a Licoln version of the GrandMarquis LSE.

Call it a Continental. Price it at the LSE point. Its gonna be made

on the same line as the other "panthers" anyway, so cost is not

an issue.

I get it. Ford management just can't stand the idea that a

stripped down idea from some guys on this forum will outsell

all their "brain children" combined. No doubt... :censored:

• 2 weeks later...
I think the MKZ starts out at 29,900 and is pretty nice. To get the price you want the next one would have to go to Mexico as well and I don't want that.

I think the Town Car is in the 45-55,000 range so this one might fall in the middle, spot on.

Exactly. The main reason people buy luxury cars is to draw attention - to stand out from the crowd - to make the statement that I am financially well-off (to put it nicely). Attention - that translates to all age demos, as the younger crowd is absolutely dying for attention. The middle aged demo wants everyone to know that they are successful and paid very well, thankyou. The huge boomer demo wants everyone to know that they are "well-off". It is VERY important to do a luxury car correctly - not inexpensively. For those that cannot afford a luxury car ( however covets one), sorry about that - but Lincoln must not make the same mistake as MB in trying to make a luxury car for everyone. It's not about amking a volume car, it's about profitability. Make it super reliable and the volume will follow accordingly as there are many people who can afford this bracket and there are many who can't afford a true luxury car -- so they will lease one -- so that everyone thinks that they can (afford a luxury car).

Lincoln needs to re-establish itself as a luxury manufacturer with class leading styling, inside and out. This car is going to do that IMO. If you can only afford a MKZ - then buy one until you can afford the MKR. I live in a very upscale area of So Fla and I would be very surprised if Lincoln doesn't sell a huge numbers of this car.

That grille:

1) Would look more at home on a 2009 Pontiac Tempest.

2) Has absolutely no coherence with any other Lincoln design I can recall.

3) Isn't even consistent internally. You have a break-line in the middle of the grille, yet you go about a third of the way up to the top of the grille from there to find the bottom of the headlights, and neither of those lines is continued anywhere else on the car. Huh?

4) Is going to give me nightmares tonight.

ANYTHING else they could have done with that grille would have looked better.

The rest...Uhhh...Isn't bad.