MAlibu accidentally revealed

igor

OK so NAIAS website screwed up and posted the pull pic of the 08 Malibu:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/detroit-auto-show...cret-222715.php

let us remind ourselves of the interior of this vehicle:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plu...idg=1&idi=1

People here know I am a fan/enthusiast of Ford ... however I have to say this car will be a formidable competitor.. it is not too bold outside, but it is handsome, inoffensive and reasonably athletic looking. It will offer the 3.6l HF engine and that kick ass interior. The exterior removes any downfalls of the vehicle, the engine puts it on par with the Altima and Camry, and the interior put is PAST all competition.

Fusion will have tough time with this vehicle on Chevy's lots.

Sure we still do not know the price, the interior materials, the handling (well the Aura and G6 can foreshadow that) .. but I think the Malibu is shaping up to be a strong opponent.

Igor

OK so NAIAS website screwed up and posted the pull pic of the 08 Malibu:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/detroit-auto-show...cret-222715.php

let us remind ourselves of the interior of this vehicle:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plu...idg=1&idi=1

People here know I am a fan/enthusiast of Ford ... however I have to say this car will be a formidable competitor.. it is not too bold outside, but it is handsome, inoffensive and reasonably athletic looking. It will offer the 3.6l HF engine and that kick ass interior. The exterior removes any downfalls of the vehicle, the engine puts it on par with the Altima and Camry, and the interior put is PAST all competition.

Sure we still do not know the price, the interior materials, the handling (well the Aura and G6 can foreshadow that) .. but I think the Malibu is shaping up to be a strong opponent.

Igor

Well it definately looks much better than just the front in the previous.

The side profile is very sleek.

The front end is still terrible, side profile is nothing new and exciting...

If the the interior shares anything with the aura, it will be OK.... Not great.

I wish GM would quit using that brown leather though... It's already played out.

the exterior losses out to the fusion/milan

But anything would be better then the current malibu, overall it's an improvment but nothing earth shattering

Edited by Kool_ZX3

Surprising post from Kool.

I probably could've guessed what it would say, word for word, before you posted. That's your standard "reaction" to every new GM car.

Wonder if you noticed even ALOT of the Hardcore GMIers, you know the ones that would take a bullet for bob lutz arn't even impressed... Go bitch at them for awhile.... It's going to be world war 3 over there soon...

I can't help but think of Joe Camel when I see that front end. And I don't know why.

It's not bad. The interior is attractive although that redish-brown has got to go. I'll have high hopes for the alledged 2008 Fusion's new interior. The exterior has a pretty sleek line...I think it will play well with someone looking at a Fusion, Accord, or Altima.

But I'm not tempted by sounds of "HF 3.6L" - if it's like the Sebring, Aura, & G6 - the actual desirable engine will come in about 5-10% of the cars - the rest will be saddled with underperforming, underwhelming engines (The 2.7L in the Sebring, the 3.5L OHV in the Aura & G6.)

It has potential - but until details are revealed, that's all I'll say.

Scott

I can't help but think of Joe Camel when I see that front end. And I don't know why.

It's not bad. The interior is attractive although that redish-brown has got to go. I'll have high hopes for the alledged 2008 Fusion's new interior. The exterior has a pretty sleek line...I think it will play well with someone looking at a Fusion, Accord, or Altima.

But I'm not tempted by sounds of "HF 3.6L" - if it's like the Sebring, Aura, & G6 - the actual desirable engine will come in about 5-10% of the cars - the rest will be saddled with underperforming, underwhelming engines (The 2.7L in the Sebring, the 3.5L OHV in the Aura & G6.)

It has potential - but until details are revealed, that's all I'll say.

Scott

I just don't like the "high feature" moniker that gets attached to that engine when in reality it is just one of the few engines from GM that has the same features as most of the competition - DOHC, VVT, etc. Yeah, it's "high-feature" compared to GM's OHV engines, but not compared to almost anyone else. Plus, it's power output is basically now midpack given Ford is getting around 265hp out of their new 3.5L and Toyota is getting 269hp out of theirs.

The interior is definitely a step in the right direction and the exterior is looking pretty sharp. I'm glad to see GM taking the midsize sedan market more seriously. I don't think it's going to blow any of the competitors into the weeds, but a significant move forward.

I just don't like the "high feature" moniker that gets attached to that engine when in reality it is just one of the few engines from GM that has the same features as most of the competition - DOHC, VVT, etc. Yeah, it's "high-feature" compared to GM's OHV engines, but not compared to almost anyone else. Plus, it's power output is basically now midpack given Ford is getting around 265hp out of their new 3.5L and Toyota is getting 269hp out of theirs.

sure but ford does not have the D35 in their midsizes ..

the HF is a nice engine .. on par with D35, and a little more mature, since it is a couple years old, and GM has managed to fine-tune it .. if the rumors come true, GM will put DI into most 08 Engines .. that could make a world of difference.

Igor

It looks better than the Aura. If it's as sporty as the Aura is, I'd take one. The front teaser that GM threw out there did the car no justice, they should've just let it all hang out. Now lets see the rear.

Something tells me that the Camry will lose a bit of ground next year. Just a hunch.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Something tells me that the Camry will lose a bit of ground next year. Just a hunch.

Maybe the Camry will go away as an OLD-mobile like the Cutlass did...

People are starting to choose vehicles with style as opposed to buying appliences. They just want assurance that the stylish vehicle they choose has a reputation for reliability and GM is finally starting to deliver that.

Igor

I too think the interior looks good (and I HATE Chevy / GM interiors especially the rectangular truck dashes)

just get rid of that PUKE brown - yikes :redcard: course the exterior isn't that exciting but an obvious improvement with Camaro influence. not bad... not that I'd buy one. but competition is good so it can be Ford's turn to next raise the bar

oh my.. looks terrible, honestly looks worst than the current one.. can you say failure.. wait... thats GMs middle name.

and GMs engine.. ya whatever.. raced a G6 GTP manual the other night.. up to like 80, my front bumper was at his rear bumper.. , heck, out of 3 races one time we were dead even at 80 lol... so much for the wimpy 3.0 ford engine... lol.. noobs.

Edited by MGallun

Hey, for the midsize car market it looks OK compared to the big sellers (Accord and Camry). That is what counts. Remember, most of the "car as an appliance" crowd are in the midsize and minivan market segments, and account for over a million sales per year. You cannot alienate them.

As to drivetrains, sure, the GM OHV V6s may not seem as high tech as other engines, but they have kept improving them. As some may remember, I do not care where the camshaft(s) are. We added a Malibu to the fleet this past summer (it offered the best combination of room and value) and with the V6 and 4 speed automatic the thing has been getting 34 mpg going back and forth to Pittsburgh. OHV seems to be working in this application.