2008 Five Hundred Refresh Pics

Harley Lover

BMW's still do not have standard projectors ... the only competitor to 500 which has standard projectors is the Azera - Avalon, Impala, etc none have them.

Igor

Ford needs to take the initiative, Many vehicles in lower classes have them and Ford should hav put them in the 500.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grill & tail lights aren't going to fix the styling problem.

The proportions are just wrong. I know I beat this drum all the time, but the one thing that could improve this cars looks (or any Ford FWD car) is a reduction in front overhang. Move the front wheels forward by 4-6 inches and see how it darmatically improves the proportions of the 500.

The 3.5 is a much needed addition to the power train. Hopefully what Ford's doing will get folks to take a look at the real capabilities of the 500. It's really a superb car from an engineering standpoint.

Judging by what can be seen through the Camo, I have this to say about the new front and rear. The Rear is a nice improvement and I like it. The Front leaves me extremely underwhelmed. I think the 3 bar should have been larger, lower, and more prominent. The Headlights don't seem to fit either the car's overall shape or the new front clip, they really just seem to be out of place overall. The camo may have something to do with that.

I also am of the opinion that there should be a split, dual exhaust setup on the vehicles that are equiped with the D35 (if its optional, if its standard, then all of them should be like this). Even if its a phoney dual setup like the Accord or recent altimas have.

I also think that a SES trim level with an aero package and a slightly reduced ride height would do wonders for the vehicle. A bot more agressiveness under the front bumper, side sills, a rear lower difuser, and a small, lip spoiler on the trunk lid, 15mm lower and the car has a completely different character.

I stand by my comments....I have seen numerous posts where people say "wait till the 500 gets redone, etc." Say what you want but when you guys get excited about dual exhausts and clear tail lights there is a problem.

Honda does a slight refreshening every 2-2.5 years on their accord and it is a hell of a seller to begin with. Ford acknowleged the problem early on and it took forever for this pathetic showing.

And the taurus change from 1996 to 99? took the car's styling in a whole different direction.

Defend all you want...does not matter to me...I am not the one trying to sell these things. It is just another sad redesign by ford.

And like I said things will change significantly in the next 2-3 years with fields pushing the styling department...

Some of you guys just crack me up....it is rather amusing how jaded you are. I just hope you don't actually work for ford. Kind of like some fanatical sports fan defending your favorite team, etc.

And please don't question my love for ford because I happen to call them out on their failures-really sucks that they are going through this but they did this to themselves-no one else.

Edited by kyle

If it wasn't for the poor Taurus, you wouldn't have anything to blame things on. You bring it up in every thread, about every car. Hopefully, Santa will bring you some originality for Christmas. :redcard:

And, I hope the camo is hiding something spectacular. If not, then it's gonna suck to see Chicago go to one shift when this thing flops......again.

For the last time you sad, challenged little stalker, I'm NOT INTO GUYS. GET OFF YOUR KNEES AND TRY SOMEONE ELSE!

:slap:

Sorry 'bout that, folks! Apparently he thought it was odd, me mentioning the Taurus which was already part of the discussion. He's depriving some poor village of its idiot again.

And the taurus change from 1996 to 99? took the car's styling in a whole different direction.

It didnt change till 2000MY

Also it had the same changes as the 500 has...new grill headlights and tail lights. It just needed more work done to it get rid of the oval shape, The 500 just needed tweeks.

Its amazing how much hate is around this place for certain products that Ford sells.

This refresh wasn't intended to save the world. it was to fix what was wrong with it.

As for sales increases, we'll just have to wait and see, but I dont think 200K units a year is out the relm of possibitly.

It didnt change till 2000MY

Also it had the same changes as the 500 has...new grill headlights and tail lights. It just needed more work done to it get rid of the oval shape, The 500 just needed tweeks.

Its amazing how much hate is around this place for certain products that Ford sells.

This refresh wasn't intended to save the world. it was to fix what was wrong with it.

As for sales increases, we'll just have to wait and see, but I dont think 200K units a year is out the relm of possibitly.

the taurus changed dramatically 2000-new instrument panel, etc. I think they changed everything but the doors on the body.

if you think the 500 only needed new taillights and a 3 bar grill (besides the motor) to get on the list of people looking at an avalon, lesabre and a 300 I respectfully disagree (as opposed to sixcav-sure do miss him sometime-who would of been much more personal!) disagree. Their is not enough compelling reasons to get on the list...and 200k sales of this unit....please...they only forecast 100k of the edge-a brand new product that is ford's best effort since the original taurus.

yah it sucks that I have to hate certain products that ford makes because I just love the company. how can anyone defend these vehicles when they are getting their ass kicked in the market. If ford was selling these vehicle's at respectable levels and people were actually buying this car other than price (besides for few loyaltist's) then my argument would hold no merit at all...but in this case I hate being wrong.

you will not hear me bashing the f150, the mustang, edge or the fusion (although I have stated before their interior's are their weak point).

what is the market size of honda right now...just off hand...they are in and around 10%-that is what ford gave up in less than 10 years-imagine that. to me it just boggles the mind....and the only reason why they went from 25 to 15% (which mind you is where they WANT to be-no guarantees that is where they will bottom out!!!) is because of product. product, product, product.

and I guess if I hate something it must at least mean that I give a shit.

Say what you want but when you guys get excited about dual exhausts and clear tail lights there is a problem.

Honda does a slight refreshening every 2-3 years on their accord and it is a hell of a seller to begin with. Ford acknowleged the problem early on and it took forever for this pathetic showing.

Some of you guys just crack me up....it is rather amusing how jaded you are. Kind of like some fanatical sports fan defending your favorite team, etc.

And please don't question my love for Ford just because I happen to call them out on their failures-really sucks that they are going through this but they did this to themselves-no one else.

GREAT POST. My sentiments exactly.

Edited by pcsario

I ask for those hating out on the Five Hundred to ask themselves how long it's been since they've seen one actively advertised...I know it's been over a year for me. That, by itself, hurts a car that's still very new to the marketplace and doesn't have previous owners to boost its sales the way longer-living models do.

Did it need the new motor? Dear God yes...more than the restyling, in my opinion. If it had had the ponies in the first place I doubt it would've gotten a tenth of the abuse it did. However, the motor wasn't ready...hardly the car's fault.

Ford has a responsibility to its products in terms of advertising, and I'd rate most of its car advertising to be the worst ever. The Milan and the Mustang were the only standouts for most of the past year.

The motor's the only thing that matters. The car had no power, it looks fine. However, I wouldn't say this is a redesign, its a mid-cycle refresh, just like the japanese do.

Where the hell are these exciting looking sedans everyone is talking about? All I read is "Its boring, Its boring, Its boring." News flash people, boring is a selling point in sedans. Most sedan buyers don't want to be noticed. As long as the Five Hundred is unoffensive to look at, the styling is fine. Complaining about a boring sedan is the same as looking at a minivan and saying its boring, if Mustang styling is required for you to buy a vehicle, you are not in the market for this car anyhow.

Ford sedans prior to Five Hundred:

Taurus- very exciting

Granda- Super exciting

LTD II- I'm about to pass out over here

Torino Sedan- Help ME!

Most people remember exciting as the two door hartop versions of cars. Even the '57 Bel Air looks dowdy as an actual sedan.

Okay, Zan, that's enough.

No more crapping in this thread, or any other.

You too, Pioneer.

People equals shit.

(Everybody's gonna die!)

----

My comments on the new 500 are in the other thread. Basically, I'm saying they should make the headlights less blocky and enlognate them and have them wrap aroud the side fenders a bit, like igor's design.

I would have bought the current 500 except that I'm waiting until 2007 until my insurance rates drop anyway....

I'll wait for the Montego, the 500 is cursed with Ford design...which is generally poor ;).

Aren't they the same designers?

I thought it was rather funny myself. Pioneer is a troll, and Zan is right to mock her.

I would have bought the current 500 except that I'm waiting until 2007 until my insurance rates drop anyway....

Aren't they the same designers?

I thought it was rather funny myself. Pioneer is a troll, and Zan is right to mock her.

For the most part, but the design simplicity equates to bland cheapness in its Ford Form. When properly adorned and finished, the designs work much better. And I really don't like the Mach 3 grilles.

Ford is in bad need of design talent and direction, their results have been very uneven and far from inspiring.

I don't know if the Five-Hundred deserves to be bashed as much as some do. Yes, it's boring to look at and yes it is underpowered, but other then that it is probably one of the better full-sized FWD cars on the market. I have ridden in a 2006 Five-Hundred and a 2006 Impala and I don't care what anybody on here says, there was NO COMPARISON at all. The Five-Hundred was a way nicer, quieter, and smoother ride. The Impala still goes (thump, thump, thump) on highway seams. I was on the same road in both and when you are in the Five-Hundred you do feel like you are riding in a Volvo. I don't think that is a bad thing for it's market.

The restyle and engine should help, but I agree with the people that say the engine and improved looks should have came sooner. Sooner as in when the car was first introduced. I understand that the engine was not ready yet, but shame on Ford for that one.

In the end however, there would be an easy way for Ford to get people off their back when it comes to Five-Hundred sales...fleet baby...FLEET IT OUT! It's been working wonders for the Impala's sale numbers!

The Five Hundred is a great car with a very generic design. Sharpen up the creases, flatten the roof line and it should sell.

The biggest problem with the Ford interiors is how each button or switch works and looks when you use them. The Japanese and Korean cars controls work like a Canon camera. Functional and substantial when you use them. For instance, in dimming the lights on the Five Hundred, you have to pull the lever through a weird feeling for almost five inches it seems to dim the lights. Now dim the lights on one of the competitors and compare.

Another instance is the implimentation of the radio and climate control in the dash. In the Ford cars it looks like it was installed by visually challenged individuals. Now look at the competitors with very tight seams and flush surrounds. It is the little details that scream quality and Ford does not exhibit that yet in Ford Division North America but it is there in FOE and Mazda.

Edited by bravestar

I had a 500 rental when my Tribute needed its last warranty hurrah done. Frankly, I was very impressed with the car.

After hearing all the bashing, I found the power to be more than adequate. It had no problems merging with traffic, or going as fast as I wanted to go. The ride was excellent, and handling seemed very good.

About the only negative, is that some of the interior pieces were not of the highest quality. However, for a huge vehicle in its class, with safety that would make a Volvo blush, and a price that makes a Camry look real expensive............ I thought the car was a total bargain.

The Five Hundred is a great car with a very generic design. Sharpen up the creases, flatten the roof line and it should sell.

The biggest problem with the Ford interiors is how each button or switch works and looks when you use them. The Japanese and Korean cars controls work like a Canon camera. Functional and substantial when you use them. For instance, in dimming the lights on the Five Hundred, you have to pull the lever through a weird feeling for almost five inches it seems to dim the lights. Now dim the lights on one of the competitors and compare.

Another instance is the implimentation of the radio and climate control in the dash. In the Ford cars it looks like it was installed by visually challenged individuals. Now look at the competitors with very tight seams and flush surrounds. It is the little details that scream quality and Ford does not exhibit that yet in Ford Division North America but it is there in FOE and Mazda.

I agree with you. The steering wheel, door switches, shifter, radio buttons, and instrument panel all look and feel cheap in the Five Hundred. What astounds me is that Mazda gets it right and after all these years, Ford hasn't adopted more of Mazda's parts.

As the market gets more competitive, the interior look and feel counts. Ford is doing a better job, but so is the competition. More needs to be done to improve the dull interior.

You too, Pioneer.

OH, yeah, right...

...Pioneer (possibly with assistance) will call me out in multiple threads, I'll reply, and you'll bitch at me...with Pioneer as a footnote.

That's steaming, streaming BS, Richard, just like last time.