Lincoln MKR

So is this the clay car we saw a while back?

The side shot makes me think of the Mercedes SL500, which is a good thing especially for a Lincoln. Regardless of the odd front, the car looks amazing, it does look like a 4 door, and it would look great as a hardtop convertible. The car screams luxury, and if it makes it to production even closely resembling the concept it should be priced around the SL500/XLR area.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't we just save the furor for a few more weeks when we see the real thing? This is a drawing and every drawing distorts and exaggerates a car's design. We don't really know what we're looking at.

That said, let's also remember how loudly we Lincoln fans were hollering for more "Lincoln DNA" in the next generation in reaction to the MKS. This one has plenty of Lincoln-look to it. The greenhouse and roof line comes right off the Mark VIII, while neatly stradling the difference between a sedan and a coupe. It appears to be one of these four door coupes that are becoming popular. The rear end, which is either unfinished or partly concealed by being the same color as the untrimmed brake lights, also resembls the Mark VIII, which IMHO was one of Lincoln's best designs.

The front end is overdone, but no more so than the current trends seen in European luxury cars. I would vote for them to turn it down some before launch. Front fenders are right on target and should be just right about 2010. A similar front fender design has been shown on "future-car" Lexus and Audis in movies, though the movies were predicting a time more than a few years forward.

What we can see of the interior is spectacular, a truly bold move!

As for engine, TT 3.7 is supposed to be more refined than any V8 in Ford's current engine shop.

We've all been shouting for Ford and Lincoln to take a real leap forward, perhaps as their only way to have a future. This one truly qualifies. They've got my applause. Nothing they do can perfectly pleases all of us.

Can't we just save the furor for a few more weeks when we see the real thing? This is a drawing and every drawing distorts and exaggerates a car's design. We don't really know what we're looking at.

That said, let's also remember how loudly we Lincoln fans were hollering for more "Lincoln DNA" in the next generation in reaction to the MKS. This one has plenty of Lincoln-look to it. The greenhouse and roof line comes right off the Mark VIII, while neatly stradling the difference between a sedan and a coupe. It appears to be one of these four door coupes that are becoming popular. The rear end, which is either unfinished or partly concealed by being the same color as the untrimmed brake lights, also resembls the Mark VIII, which IMHO was one of Lincoln's best designs.

The front end is overdone, but no more so than the current trends seen in European luxury cars. I would vote for them to turn it down some before launch. Front fenders are right on target and should be just right about 2010. A similar front fender design has been shown on "future-car" Lexus and Audis in movies, though the movies were predicting a time more than a few years forward.

What we can see of the interior is spectacular, a truly bold move!

As for engine, TT 3.7 is supposed to be more refined than any V8 in Ford's current engine shop.

We've all been shouting for Ford and Lincoln to take a real leap forward, perhaps as their only way to have a future. This one truly qualifies. They've got my applause. Nothing they do can perfectly pleases all of us.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee96b0c

Not a drawing . . .

PCRODUCTION CONFIRMED - LINCOLN WILL ADD A RWD FLAGSHIP SEDAN IN 2008 ... CONFIRMED!!!!!!!

THIS IS A DESIGN STUDY OF THE NEW LINCOLN LOOK, SO THIS IS NOT REALY A CONCEPT OF THAT SEDAN, BUT THE SEDAN WILL BEAR THE NEW LINCOLN LOOK

IT SAYS SO AT THE LINK BELOW:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee96b0c

So all of you clamoring for production RWD in FoMoCo lineup .. SHUT UP .. you are getting a RWD Lincoln Sedan AND by association a RWD Ford Sedan, on longer Mustang platform, with IRS .. both will be in production in 2008

I am excited to see them, but I hope some of you are going to buy them after the years of bitching that there were no cars offered for you.

PS - it seems 2008 is planned as a big Lincoln revival year with the People Mover, MKS and the RWD sedan debuting in the same year.

Igor

Edited by igor

This is great! The nose will undoubtedly change before production, but don't change much, please. Any notice the moonroof shape over the passenger compartment?

This design is meant to inspire emotion. Car designs do. It's why I think the Camry looks like a bloated Mazda that I wouldn't buy and others think it looks sophisticated. It's why I think the Jaguar XK is simply elegant while some people cannot get over that nose.

Imagine a line-up with the 2009 MKZ (updated that year), 2009 MKS (new), 2009 MKR (new), 2009 MKX (potentially updated), 2009 MK-People Mover (brand new), 2009 Navigator (hopefully with a better nose) and a 2009 MK-Truck (brand new). What would we be thinking about Lincoln?

Then, with an engine range producing 260-420 horsepower, that brings Lincoln into competitive territory. Get a redesigned 4.6 V8 (or something along those lines) out by 2010 producing 350-360 NA and 500 with a TT and you've got the makings of a brand revival.

I'm excited. This and the Jaguar concept make me finally believe that Ford gets it. I hope it pays off and that Ford can move past all the negative perceptions and start selling stellar vehicles like these.

This design is meant to inspire emotion. Car designs do. It's why I think the Camry looks like a bloated Mazda that I wouldn't buy and others think it looks sophisticated. It's why I think the Jaguar XK is simply elegant while some people cannot get over that nose.

Jack Telnack used to say that a new design should leave a person "uncomfortable" when first viewed. If it didn't, then the stylist didn't stretch far enough.

For those who don't know, Telnack was Ford's Chief of Styling before J. Mays. He was responsible for the aero 1983 T-Bird, the then-radical Temp/Topaz and, of course, the original Taurus.

Jack Telnack used to say that a new design should leave a person "uncomfortable" when first viewed. If it didn't, then the stylist didn't stretch far enough.

For those who don't know, Telnack was Ford's Chief of Styling before J. Mays. He was responsible for the aero 1983 T-Bird, the then-radical Temp/Topaz and, of course, the original Taurus.

so he was the jackass responsible for those blobs, for all those oval door openings that you hit the side of your head on when you tried to get in the car. For those impossible door openings when you tried getting in the car after your wife had left the seat moved all the way forward and you couldn't bend you head/neck down far enough to get under that front slope of the oval door opening. He's gone? Good riddance to bad design. I hope all the doors in his house are just toooo small to fit his wheelchair through.

PCRODUCTION CONFIRMED - LINCOLN WILL ADD A RWD FLAGSHIP SEDAN IN 2008 ... CONFIRMED!!!!!!!

PS - it seems 2008 is planned as a big Lincoln revival year with the People Mover, MKS and the RWD sedan debuting in the same year.

Igor

RWD 2008? - No - I think Edmunds is confused. As much as I would like to see that happen, it is just not possible or planned.

MKS 08 yes - MKR no

RWD 2008? - No - I think Edmunds is confused. As much as I would like to see that happen, it is just not possible or planned.

MKS 08 yes - MKR no

Yeah, I thought it looked wrong but didn't think much about it. It was my understanding that 2009 (for MY 2010) was the year for the RWD Lincoln... although, I'd love to see one in 2008 for MY 2009. It could just be that we are getting FY and MY all mixed up, but my guess is something will be said to this point at NAIAS.

Yeah, I thought it looked wrong but didn't think much about it. It was my understanding that 2009 (for MY 2010) was the year for the RWD Lincoln... although, I'd love to see one in 2008 for MY 2009. It could just be that we are getting FY and MY all mixed up, but my guess is something will be said to this point at NAIAS.

that is always possible, but unlikely ... especially since the D2E platform is ready, the IRS has been ready since 2004 and it just needs extra 8 inches ...

and with the new Product Development system ,they should be able to make a car in 18 months -

It is possible the Lincoln and ford were already quietly greenlighted .... and are already on their way out.

but yes - we will have to wait and see.

Igor

that is always possible, but unlikely ... especially since the D2E platform is ready, the IRS has been ready since 2004 and it just needs extra 8 inches ...

and with the new Product Development system ,they should be able to make a car in 18 months -

It is possible the Lincoln and ford were already quietly greenlighted .... and are already on their way out.

but yes - we will have to wait and see.

Igor

Quite an interesting concept. Will anything resembling it make it into production? And if it does, Why oh why did they not do anything with the stately Continental concept? A timeless design like the CC will outlast a go-for-broke in-your-face offering like the emm kay arr. And PLEASE, Lincoln, Get rid of these stupid letter names, PLEASE. Go back to the Mark and the Continental and the Zephyr. NOBODY gets the letters. Nobody.

I do wonder who they will sell this to? They've been striving to get younger buyers for going on 10 years. I still dont think they've got it. The emm kay zee gets some, in large part due to price point. Who will buy a $50K-$60K R? I admit it is a car that might interest me, but the $50K price point is out of my league. And again, where will they get buyers? When I bought my LS in 2001, the dealers would not order a 5speed for me. Nobody wants a hot rod Lincoln they said. I actually had to get Lincoln marketing to call and tell them to order the car for me. How will dealers like this be able to sell a hot rod like this? I have serious doubts they can do it. BTW, still driving my 5speed LS. 80K and runs like new, thanks Lincoln. Now if it only had a twin turbo in it...

If I'm not mistaken, he was also responsible for the 1996 Taurus/Sable disaster. He then quietly retired from Ford.

How soon we forget. Back in the early 1980's Ford was the acknowledged U.S. styling leader with designs that were recognized as being bold, brash and innovative. By the mid-to-late 1980's Ford was gaining market share, mainly from GM, and was clearly the only Detroit automaker that "got it."

How quickly things change.

I still remember the buzz that Ford products generated back then. Be it the '83 Bird, 84 Tempo, Aerostar and the Taurus, these were cars that turned your head when you saw them on the street (especially when you consider that the dominant design theme of the day was the boxy look exemplified by the K car).

I hope Peter Horbury can generate the same kind of buzz with future Ford products.