UAW: Expect sacrifice

pcsario

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...701160335/1148/

Last month, UAW Vice President Cal Rapson told union leaders from General Motors Corp. plants around the country that "the way we conducted business in the past when General Motors was very profitable, would have to change," according to a recent note to workers in Warren, Ohio. "He made some comments that if we didn't make changes, we wouldn't survive in the future."

No shit.

:finger:

Edited by pcsario

yea well it was not us pee-ons that started off spending 10 billion plus for jag thAT HAS NOT TURNED AN-F-IN profit yet............or for land rover thats done shit...........or austin martin.......................only volvo has turned out ok.;;;;;;;;;;guess what who paid for this...........north american market now...............we are suppose to kiss ass and say take;;;;;;; more from me so you can pay four your f-ups...........................normal workers have had enough of this bullshit////////////sacrifice the ford brand to go up scale with jag etc on our backs.............your pushing it ;;;;;;;;;;you can only take so much and then your gonna say screw you iam down and going down come join me;;;;;;dont believe me ;///////there is lot of anger on the lines.....no more us uaw or caw taking the bullisht fall and being blamed for your short-sightness,,,,,,,,be a man face it you screwed up.correct it dont sluff off the blame..........turn around and learn from your mistake.iam a proud worker and the majority of us do really care and have pride but were sic of getting crapped on.............

Edited by triton-boy

Not for nothing and not turning this into a bitchfest about the UAW, the UAW worker has to finally figure out that Ford or Gm or DCX doesn't owe them anything and nor in turn do they owe them anything besides showing up for work and doing a good job.

Nothing More and nothing less then that. Just because your in the UAW, that doesn't mean your entitled to a job any more then anyone else working in another business.

yea well it was not us pee-ons that started off spending 10 billion plus for jag thAT HAS NOT TURNED AN-F-IN profit yet............or for land rover thats done shit...........or austin martin.......................only volvo has turned out ok.;;;;;;;;;;guess what who paid for this...........north american market now...............we are suppose to kiss ass and say take;;;;;;; more from me so you can pay four your f-ups...........................normal workers have had enough of this bullshit////////////sacrifice the ford brand to go up scale with jag etc on our backs.............your pushing it ;;;;;;;;;;you can only take so much and then your gonna say screw you iam down and going down come join me;;;;;;dont believe me ;///////there is lot of anger on the lines.....no more us uaw or caw taking the bullisht fall and being blamed for your short-sightness,,,,,,,,be a man face it you screwed up.correct it dont sluff off the blame..........turn around and learn from your mistake.iam a proud worker and the majority of us do really care and have pride but were sic of getting crapped on.............

Wow. I was hoping this thread would include this sort of rant. Triton Boy, you didn't disappoint.

I'm not a union guy, but I didn't buy Jag, nor did I style the 500. One thing I know, though, is that those decisions were made, and they're in the past. As a result, all of us are going to have to make sacrifices to keep Ford afloat.

This common attitude of "its not my fault the company is doing poorly, so I shouldn't have to make a single concession" will drive this company into the ground. Things are what they are, bad decisions and all. Get over it, move on, and grab those ankles.

The alternative is simple: go work somewhere else.

Swizco

:hysterical: :hysterical:

why the F did you not take a buyout you whiner?

I am very sympathetic to the labor issue at the heart of the Dom/Import struggle, but after the buyout deadline passed I could not care less about any whining little UAW members that stayed on.. If you hate it so much PLEASE ... and I am really asking nicely .... PLEASE do not build my car .. PLEASE go somewhere else ... somewhere where you like it .. somewhere where you will be satisfied ...

you had the choice ... and you blew it (judging by your desperate attitude) ... you still have a choice, not as lucrative, but it is there ... so PLEASE quit ..

Igor

Wow... the wheels are going to come off this thread in a hurry.... :fan:

I just hope in the new contract ford will get the right to fire people that are useless and dragging the company down

and also have the ability to reduce the headcount when needed to without having to pay people to sit home and collect money through the GEN pool/Jobs Bank

and the buyouts still make me laugh.. when I parted ways with GM my buyout option was to walk out or be carried out...

Edited by hoss96racing

I gotta agree here. Being at DTP with our new COA, I saw where the future was heading before the buyouts. I will be sticking it out because I think the company will rebound. So for those that did not take a buyout...the writting was on the wall, we all knew what was coming. If you don't like the way the future looks, yes you should of left with a buyout.

Is the uaw going to give away everything? no. Are they going to give up some big things? yes. We are just going to have to accept it. I understood that the day the COA passed at Dearborn.

For the record....MOST of us just want to come to work and do our job. The stereotype of the lazy, uneducated,dope head UAW worker is just that....A stereotype.

The problem, Sherlock, is that we all know about that. We really do. However, whining and crying about the past............... constantly................... does nothing but ensure a miserable future.

Mistakes were made, on both sides. Everyone knows that. Everyone has to get on the same plane, and figure out what has to be done to ensure a great tomorrow. If you want to stay with Ford/GM/UAW, then come to work happy, try to help figure out solutions to problems, and do the best you can..................... as that is all that anyone can do.

Coming to an open forum on here.................... and towing the '60's union line...................... and making comments like I have seen in the employee forum (such as "I'm gonna screw up every vehicle I touch"), does nothing but hurt your cause, and hurt it bad. Its things like that, that cause the general populace to have stereotyped opinions of UAW workers.

Sorry................ we just don't get it. We keep paying more and more for less and less benefits, (btw, I'm happy to be paying $500 a month for health insurance/dental/vision for my family of 3) and have nothing guaranteed. Yet we see UAW workers whining and crying becuase they "may" have to give up a little of their gravytrain. Please don't come back with the "well, your the stupid one who works where you do," because its not just me..................... its pretty much EVERYONE else out there. Well, at least those of us who are lucky enough to have benefits available to us.

To understand the animosity that the UAW garners, you have to look at things through the eyes of outsiders, like myself. Walk a month in our shoes. To do so, would be to truly appreciate just how good you have it.

Allow me to inject before Richard does:

This topic is going to seed rants. It's inevitable.

The choices are to actually allow this thread to get CONTROLLABLY ugly (with some refereeing), or lock it altogether. In all the years I've been around here, I can't say I've ever seen a thrid possibility.

I gotta agree here. Being at DTP with our new COA, I saw where the future was heading before the buyouts. I will be sticking it out because I think the company will rebound. So for those that did not take a buyout...the writting was on the wall, we all knew what was coming. If you don't like the way the future looks, yes you should of left with a buyout.

Is the uaw going to give away everything? no. Are they going to give up some big things? yes. We are just going to have to accept it. I understood that the day the COA passed at Dearborn.

For the record....MOST of us just want to come to work and do our job. The stereotype of the lazy, uneducated,dope head UAW worker is just that....A stereotype.

I admire you for the dedication you have for the company. I don't think its time to point fingers or take blame. The only way for Ford to rebound will be through the coordinated work of everyone from the top down.

Glad to see several people take the position that if you did not take the buy out you can't bitch about changes that are going to occur. Kind of my position of voting-no vote....opinion matters very little to me.

I will also point out that both GM and Chrysler are hurting as well. Not as much, but they are facing some serious obstacles as well. And last I looked GM and Chrylser to a lesser extent did not blow money buying up other companies for billions of $$'s. And guess what....they are still in deep trouble so the problem is a lot deeper than that.

Major changes have to be made in all operations. You can't have dozens of job classifications assembling sub-components from a supplier.

If they don't work out a very favorable deal to the big 3 you will see more expansion outside of the US...hell they are doing that now!!

Is it the UAW's fault-nope. But that does not change one thing!

IM all for getting the deadbeats out. (true deadbeats!)

I am also for consessions, As long as its fair for both sides. I love my job and who I work for and will do just about anything to keep my job (short of getting on my knee's).

My favorite temp worker quote of the day!

"Damn, I can see why so many people are taking buyouts. This job sucks!"

When Ford makes a profit the UAW will share in that profit.

You're kidding right? Those days are long gone.

I would like to ask. If Ford employees take a pay cut just how many do they ( Ford) really expect to make new purchases with lower wages? Better yet did anyone notice if the downturn actually began when they Stopped/took away profit-sharing?

Again, noone has said that NO MISTAKES WERE MADE. Executives who took home big bonus's, did so because of their contract. Much the same as all those UAW workers screaming about the contract that was signed, and how it is Fords fault because they signed it (saying nothing about the fact that they would pretty much close down the entire company if they didn't).

If you spend that much time and energy worrying about what was, and what wasn't................ in the past................. then NOTHING will get solved.

Fix it. You have the opportunity to be part of the solution, instead of part of the problem. Take it. Not only will this help the black eye that the UAW has in the publics eye.................... but lo and behold, it may actually help the company you work for also. Hot damn, amazing, isn't it???

Those of us in the public sector deal with this every day. We live with it, and accept it. Its what being an adult is all about.

BTW, I do understand that we are on the outside looking in. It is never pleasant to give up things you are used to having................ and I am sure that many of us have been there. However, we do what we have to do....................... and that is all that we can do.

Extreme, I was going to let this topic die but since you posted basically the same thing twice I feel compelled to offer a rebuttel.Ford would never sign a contract that they could not afford, would anybody with any sense? I know it is hard being on the outside looking in to understand this.The UAW would not negociate our contract knowing that it would cause financial strain on the company, if you look at the performance from 2006 all hourly persons could have worked for 0 wages and the company still would not have posted a profit. With that being said, how much sacrifice would make the peanut gallery happy? Maybe we should pay Ford to let us work there! You're post makes it sound as if hourly employees are all pissed off and willing to sabotage Ford, nothing could be farther from the truth.We want our company to be the best auto company in the world.Now,we realize there will be sacrifices,but look at it from my perspective, the peanut gallery seems happy that we will have to give up some things. I think the true answer to Ford's woes is product. (sorry about the spelling)

I agree that sacrifices must be made, such as the one with Mr. Fields and the company's Jet.

But how can you expect the blue-collar workers to keep giving up everything, while their union dues keep going up?

Where is the balance?

It appears that the Union has no plans on sacrificing anything or itself.

Out with the union and In with the New workforce.

I agree that sacrifices must be made, such as the one with Mr. Fields and the company's Jet.

But how can you expect the blue-collar workers to keep giving up everything, while their union dues keep going up?

Where is the balance?

It appears that the Union has no plans on sacrificing anything or itself.

Out with the union and In with the New workforce.

:redcard:

Union dues has not gone up. Its the same as its been. You typed all that just to toss in "Out with the union and In with the New workforce."

:boring:

:redcard:

Union dues has not gone up. Its the same as its been. You typed all that just to toss in "Out with the union and In with the New workforce."

:boring:

Yeah I thought that was funny too. My point was if we're supposedly taking a paycut wouldn't it be fair to cut the union dues too.

What type of sacrifice is the union making anyway? and don't bring up that mess about membership. and when I mention the new workforce that's Hypothetical based on the future state not present.

How long do you think it'll be before there is no more union? If you took a vote too the people today to end the union, I'm willing to bet they'll vote it away.