08/09 Econoline Spyshots

silvrsvt

Besides the nose job, does anybody know what else will be new? Will it (finally) get a driver side passenger side door? Will it get the 3V 5.4 & 6 speed auto in the E150? I've always been a big Ford van fan. I would love to get another one, but when you really only have one major cosmetic change from 1976 to 2007, it's kind of hard to justify getting a new one that looks just like a 1992 model. If this 2008 update comes with a driver side passenger side door, I just may get one! If it doesn't, then I guess it will still plug along as the number van among plumbers & electricians.

Last that I had heard, the 2008 Econline was supposed to be based off of the new T1 platform that the 07 Expedition rides on. Don't really know much more about it than that. Wonder if it will have the 6.4L Diesel or stick with the 6.0L?

not unless they completely redesign the dog house area... the 6.0 really doesn't fit...

Last that I had heard, the 2008 Econline was supposed to be based off of the new T1 platform that the 07 Expedition rides on. Don't really know much more about it than that. Wonder if it will have the 6.4L Diesel or stick with the 6.0L?

not unless they completely redesign the dog house area... the 6.0 really doesn't fit...

This better be cheap as fuck, because that's how it looks like.

it's still the best truck on the market .. and leads in sales as well ..

and we shall not forget Ford does have the Transit under review for import ... and with the transit's I4 and V6 engines .. it would nicely complement the V8/V10 and V8 diesel Econoline.

Igor

it's still the best truck on the market .. and leads in sales as well ..

Igor

Which is why Ford should invest to make it as good as possible because the same thing could have been said about the Ranger, the CV, the Taurus, even the Windstar use to be good and sell over 300k...............................and Ford was cheap and stopped providin any reason for the consumer to choose it. And if Nissan enters the full van market they could easily knock Ford off its high horse with a few innovations.

Which is why Ford should invest to make it as good as possible because the same thing could have been said about the Ranger, the CV, the Taurus, even the Windstar use to be good and sell over 300k...............................and Ford was cheap and stopped providin any reason for the consumer to choose it. And if Nissan enters the full van market they could easily knock Ford off its high horse with a few innovations.

I hope the Nissan was just used as an Example ...

see Titan.

Igor

Which is why Ford should invest to make it as good as possible because the same thing could have been said about the Ranger, the CV, the Taurus, even the Windstar use to be good and sell over 300k...............................and Ford was cheap and stopped providing any reason for the consumer to choose it. And if Nissan enters the full van market they could easily knock Ford off its high horse with a few innovations.

That's exactly what Ford really needs, some real competition. If Nissan (or Toyota) could build a great full size van that incorporated some of those cool minivan features, maybe then Ford will finally update this thing. As of right now, the only competition is GM and Ford's van beats it in just about every category and only lacks the a rear driver side door. Ford only seems to update things properly when it's competition driven.

see Titan.

Igor

Nissan has talked about developing a full size van to try and utilize some of their manufacturing capacity at the Titan plant. If they do build one, it will probably be ugly (like the Titan & Quest), but it will also probably have features never before seen on production full size vans like 4WD/AWD, IRS, dual power sliding doors, fold-into-the-floor seats, 4th row seating on a 1/2 ton, etc. Right now, Ford couldn't increase sales enough to justify a major update. But, they may need a major update to maintain sales if the competition takes too many sales away.

Ford's van beats it in just about every category and only lacks the a rear driver side door.

I really don't see the need for a driver's side slider on the E-series. The vast majority of them are sold for shuttle or commercial service. With the addition of the driver's side slider, they'd lose seating capacity in the shuttle configuration and lose storage area for the commercial applications for things such as cabinets and shelves. If they can somehow find a way to make it optional, I guess it might be worth doing, but I really don't think it's comparable to the minivan situation based on the customers' needs.

see Titan.

Igor

I used Nissan as an example since they said they are seriously considering entering the Full-Size van market.

If there was some hidden rule that said if you put a dud in one segment that will hold true for all segments then Ford would of been out of business 50 years ago....................................but that doesn't exist, so not taking your competition seriously is only going to screw you over. Not to mention the fact that the whole point of my post was ignored.

I really don't see the need for a driver's side slider on the E-series. The vast majority of them are sold for shuttle or commercial service. With the addition of the driver's side slider, they'd lose seating capacity in the shuttle configuration and lose storage area for the commercial applications for things such as cabinets and shelves. If they can somehow find a way to make it optional, I guess it might be worth doing, but I really don't think it's comparable to the minivan situation based on the customers' needs.

GM offers it as an option, Ford should too. You're right, it wouldn't make sense in shuttle and commercial applications, but before the SUV craze, a lot of people purchased these for hauling around their families. I know I whine about this every time the E-Series comes up, but I believe dual powered sliders (or even plain'ole swinging cargo doors on both sides) might get more people back into vans as family vehicles. Plus, other features found in minivans would be nice on full size vans too. An Econoline built on the Expedition EL's T1 chassis would be pretty sweet. You could have four rows of seats that could fold flat into the floor. I've had a couple of full size vans (my first was a 78 E250 with a 460 in 1991 when I turned 16), and nothing short of a motorhome can beat them for road trips.

The next gen Econoline will have more capability and more engine options. One is the Boss 6.2. Don't forget the Econoline is sold as a chassis for motor homes, ambulances, cube vans, mini busses and more. The 6.2 will replace the 6.8. It may be TTDI as well.

A 6.2 in an E150 would be real nice! Any word on HP numbers for the BOSS 6.2 yet? Also, which TTDI engine would it get?

the van you see in 08 will be the same van until AT LEAST 2012. we stamp almost all the parts for the E where i work, and the front doors back remain unchanged. we just got the rear doors from BUDD CO. and they built a whole new line to assemble them. so i would dought any major changes because of that investment.

Another "new" Ford consisting of revised front sheetmetal, interior, and powertrain. To the customer, this vehicle doesn't look very different or very new. This is the formula for product development at Ford. Any wonder why Ford has virtually disappeared from the pages of the "future product news" updates in most car magazines?

the van you see in 08 will be the same van until AT LEAST 2012. we stamp almost all the parts for the E where i work, and the front doors back remain unchanged. we just got the rear doors from BUDD CO. and they built a whole new line to assemble them. so i would dought any major changes because of that investment.

I guess that means the nose hasn't been extended? Thought maybe Ford had gotten the idea that moving the "doghouse" even further forward might be an improvement.

I guess that means the nose hasn't been extended? Thought maybe Ford had gotten the idea that moving the "doghouse" even further forward might be an improvement.

One would think the primary purpose of the van is cargo space, therefore, moving the cab back would only reduce cargo space. It wouldn't serve any other purpose, aside from aesthetics--which are far down the van buyer's list of considerations.

"Another "new" Ford consisting of revised front sheetmetal, interior, and powertrain."

With any other product, you might have a point. However, a fair chunk of Econoline production leaves the factory pretty much as quoted, but with wheels and tires. These vehicles go to shops where cube-van or schoolbus or ambulance-cube bodies, etc., are put on.

So, for a lot of the Econoline market, that's all they care about, if the standard van body won't do.