Edge gets comparo'd at MT...

ZanatWork

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So how did they finish? Truth told, no clear favorite emerged, no runaway winner."

Glancing through it, I didn't see any mention of braking. But looking at the charts, it was the worst. Plus you can see the weight.

But really, they echo'd what the BON's people have been saying. Drop some weight, get better braking. The only other variable MT didn't like was "fit and finish". It seems some reviewers think it's great, others hate it. Not sure what you can do there for a car under $40k...

Well, the Murano was hardly stupid to include...and it took the honors.

I agree, why compare 2 and 3 row crossovers at all? But I also am unthrilled that many of Ford's hopes rest on a vehicle whose initial reviews have been lukewarm on the average.

The general consensus seems to be: removed from oven too soon, still doughy in the middle.

yeah ... they have 3 tasks:

- recalibrate transmission (taller 6th for better HWY MPG, and more even spacing)

- address the brakes (or tires)

- shed some 300-500lbs

unfortunately, I do not think the 3rd is possible .. the 1st and 2nd are absolutely NEEDED in 08.

otherwise it is a good effort, but MT was right - it fails to deliver anything new that would make you go "wow" - for example of of "wow" features see SuperDuty, Honda Fit and a couple others

Ford need to do better going forward ... but given that this is a product of the OLD Ford - before Mulally, Before Fields, etc.. this is amazingly good ...

Igor

Edited by igor

Read the review and don't necessarily disagree with them, but not sure how they prioritized everything. All are aware of the edge's interior shortcomings...just a fact of life, and we are aware of the braking issues-so be it.

Still think the edge is a very strong bet. It has great styling and I think customer's in this class want something more. If they wanted practical they would get a minivan. This consumer wants to be seen as someone progressive but smart and the edge fills those requirements fine.

I saw the new hyundai yesterday and got to tell you that it was nice vehicle. I would be tempted to take that over the edge and easily over the highlander (boring) or murano (nice vehicle that still looks fresh).

The things that ford fell short on can be overcome with a few extra dollars spent. Case in point-check all of the pictures of the engine compartments-yah I know some of you will say who gives a shit-and I will say then why do all 3 other companies spend a few dollars making the engine compartment attractive and stylish-maybe even showing off-look at us-while the edge compartment looks like it was designed for government use only-no mention of the engine size, no chrome, no logo-not even a cover-while the hyundai looks like it would be equally at home in a formula one garage.

Just shows you the different philosophy's-that is the stuff that will change with the new management.

Empty rhetoric. This vehicle, along with the MKX and the larger D3 crossovers need to profitably occupy the workers at OAC. End of story.

???

Ford needs the Edge to be a hit Richard.

Spare me the "Ford only needs to sell 3 of these, and if they meet that goal the Edge is a success and everyone lived happily ever after" BS.

They will never get out of their shithole if they keep that mediocre attitude towards everything, their old cash cows are dying and they need replacements. Bottomline is another brand new Ford got beaten again by an old vehicle released years before. A lot is riding on the Edge's shoulders and there's no silver lining on this.

Why If you can't fit a normal sized human in the 3rd row, whats the effort of putting in, bragging rights? I really wonder how "crowded" the CX-9 is with a third row, considering they are on the same platform.

Yeah and lets take the second row seats out of the Stang while we're at it; they're even more useless and also steal cargo space.

Give the people what they want, let them decide if they're useless to them or not.

Edited by pcsario

Why If you can't fit a normal sized human in the 3rd row, whats the effort of putting in, bragging rights? I really wonder how "crowded" the CX-9 is with a third row, considering they are on the same platform.

I think it is a big selling point regardless if only a toddler can fit back their or not. People may see it as more bang for the buck, especially compared to the highlander which has more name recognition, cheaper and a third row.

yeah ... they have 3 tasks:

- recalibrate transmission (taller 6th for better HWY MPG, and more even spacing)

- address the brakes (or tires)

- shed some 300-500lbs

Well, I would add a fourth, and that is interior materials selection and molding. It's not bad, but MT is right - it looks and feels a little less sophisticated than even the Hyundai with the creases, lines and textures (Hyundai's bad design aside).

I agree for 2008 we need new gear ratios, but I would put more effort into the low gears and gear spacings. First gear seems so tight on the car, which gives it a good launch but sucks up gas. They'd probably get 1-2 mpg better with something smaller. Why do they need 4.48 for the first gear? What about a nice 3.8-3.9 or so? And then smooth out the shifts and make sure that it has a sweet spot for 50-70 mph acceleration. The .74 could be a bit taller, but it's not bad.

Brakes need overhaul.

Almost all Ford interiors need a "soft" touch to them. The hard plastics - utility and style aside - will continue to get bad reviews. Might as well save yourself the headache.

And yes, lose some weight! I don't even think the Edge needs to take off 300 lbs to be competitive, just 150-200. It feels like instead of designing things like sound deadening and body stiffness and safety into the original design, they tacked on extra metal where they needed to to make it better. Not the best approach.

Read the review and don't necessarily disagree with them, but not sure how they prioritized everything. All are aware of the edge's interior shortcomings...just a fact of life, and we are aware of the braking issues-so be it.

Still think the edge is a very strong bet. It has great styling and I think customer's in this class want something more. If they wanted practical they would get a minivan. This consumer wants to be seen as someone progressive but smart and the edge fills those requirements fine.

I saw the new hyundai yesterday and got to tell you that it was nice vehicle. I would be tempted to take that over the edge and easily over the highlander (boring) or murano (nice vehicle that still looks fresh).

The things that ford fell short on can be overcome with a few extra dollars spent. Case in point-check all of the pictures of the engine compartments-yah I know some of you will say who gives a shit-and I will say then why do all 3 other companies spend a few dollars making the engine compartment attractive and stylish-maybe even showing off-look at us-while the edge compartment looks like it was designed for government use only-no mention of the engine size, no chrome, no logo-not even a cover-while the hyundai looks like it would be equally at home in a formula one garage.

Just shows you the different philosophy's-that is the stuff that will change with the new management.

Ditto.

Ford NA has to learn to go the whole 100 yards, not 85 or 90 yards, but 100.

Being just OK does not cut it.

Disappointing........

I just hope that consumers don't place a ton of emphasis in a car review, because to be quite honest the Edge is a lot more than last place.

I had one for a 24 hour time frame before I decided to go with the A4 as my new company car, and while the vehicle is not perfect it isn't anything that deserves to fall into last place. The Edge that I demo'd did not have flash lines, and yes the plastic was hard but so is the plastic found in say the Honda Pilot. The D35 is a much smoother mill than the D30, and it propelled what is a heavy vehicle very well. And yes, the vehicle needs better brakes, it's not the tires it is most defintely the brakes.

Having said that it would have been nice to have a power seat back in addition to power lumbar, soft touch plastics and HID headlamps. I'm not sure why Ford is so reluctant to offer up some of their premium lines with these options. If it weren't for my old Dog, who had a hard time getting in the back, I'd have an Edge in my driveway.

FWIW, the small rants that the editors at MT had are easily addressed or can be easily addressed without a lot of expense.

*sigh* my point:

It's gotta stop NOW. This and the Focus/D3 updates will hopefully represent the LAST of the "old Ford thinking". While Bill Ford got the recalls and defects under control, what good is having an ex-Toyota quality watchdog if the interior they oversaw gets blasted for materials anyway?

The problems ARE mostly minor, but they fairly reek of a job that needed more time. I can't believe that "Worst in class" braking was a GOAL, ditto the leisurely performance and unflattering fuel economy.

I guess its ESC is great, the appearance certainly works...so build on that, guys, and get the changes made ASAFP.

Edited by ZanatWork

Wow, it really blows my mind the some of you guys are missing the most troublesome point. The Murano and Highlander are almost five years old. Toyota just introduced a new Highlander at the Chicago Autoshow and the new Murano, Pilot, etc aren't far behind. Ford has released a product they can't hold its own against five year old competition. Not to mention current rivals, CX-9, GM Triplets, Santa Fe, etc. Ford is tanked.

For the life of me I can not understand why this vehicle is even compared to a Pilot, or even a Highlander for that matter. I would think that an Explorer would align a bit better with the Pilot and the Taurus X with the Highlander.

As far as not keeping up.....well there is the braking, but performance wise its not like the Edge was last or even second place.

For the life of me I can not understand why this vehicle is even compared to a Pilot, or even a Highlander for that matter. I would think that an Explorer would align a bit better with the Pilot and the Taurus X with the Highlander.

As far as not keeping up.....well there is the braking, but performance wise its not like the Edge was last or even second place.

This is how ford got where they are today. Don't Dick Cheney the obvious. The Edge will hopefully be cross shopped by those looking for a family CUV. Because the Pilot has three rows of seats it won't be? Give me a break. Because the Envoy and Trailblazer don't have three rows of seats its not cross chopped with the Explorer? Build a car that lives up to expectations. That's all were asking. Have you even seen the new Highlander or the GM Triplet? Did Ford even have those vehicles in mind when they released the Edge? When you have the benchmark in mind you'll create a new benchmark. Case in point. The GT team took apart a Ferrari just to ensure the GT would one up it on all fronts. That product speaks for itself.

This is how ford got where they are today. Don't Dick Cheney the obvious. The Edge will hopefully be cross shopped by those looking for a family CUV. Because the Pilot has three rows of seats it won't be? Give me a break. Because the Envoy and Trailblazer don't have three rows of seats its not cross chopped with the Explorer? Build a car that lives up to expectations. That's all were asking. Have you even seen the new Highlander or the GM Triplet? Did Ford even have those vehicles in mind when they released the Edge? When you have the benchmark in mind you'll create a new benchmark. Case in point. The GT team took apart a Ferrari just to ensure the GT would one up it on all fronts. That product speaks for itself.

They Taurus X? Who would buy that over a new Highlander?

me. not everybody wants a japanese suv.

O.K. So look at the the GM Triplets or Mazda CX-9, Japanese but Ford umbrella company. This is my point. The only person these abominations (Edge, Taurus X) appeal to are Ford loyalist. People who refuse to look at another brand. Just admit the product is inferior and build something buyers want. Make them come to a Ford showrooms. They did it with the explorer in 1995, it went above and beyond any other mid sized SUV when it was introduced.

Here we go.....

Walk into a Chevy showroom and what do you have:

Uplander (soon to be ax'd), Trailblazer (soon to be ax'd), Equinox, Tahoe and Suburban

Ford's offerings:

Escape, Explorer, Expedition, Expedition EL, Taurus X, Edge and Fairlane (upcoming)

So you mean to tell me out of all that product NONE of it can be considered as an alternative to the Highlander and/or GM Triplets? Yeah, you give me a break! Processes undertaken to build a 150K exotic car for a very short run, can not be applied to a mass market'd people mover.