Edge gets comparo'd at MT...

ZanatWork

The Mexican CD3 Triplets sold over 211,000 last year, each one a profitable sale. I bet they made as much if not more profit out of those 211,000 CD3 than low profit retail queen Toyota Camry's 440,000 odd sales.

how much would you want to bet? I would go out on a limb here and say even reynolds, slvrst or RJ would take wager $1. please tell me that you just got out of your ged class and they had a substitute instructor.

the argument here is not about toyota or what chevy has to offer or how much they make, etc. It is about another ford vehicle getting launched and not getting good publicity. Ford has said this is the most important vehicle that they are launching this year so it is not like the expectations are pretty low.

The only one that has gotten any good media is the expedition-the one that I would of thought least likely to come out smelling like a rose...and that is because they only compared it to ONE other vehicle-not four.

Like I have said before-I like the edge-think it looks great and has some nice features-but how many people here would spend nearly $40k on it-now the 3 that say so have to automatically disqualify yourself because you cannot use your employee discount. Remember you will not be able to go over to toyota and get $4k off a new highlander and the hyundai is less expensive by thousands.

I do think that this vehicle will sell well and make ford some money. The big test will come in a year or two when they have the chance to update and improve on some items. When they do that I will feel like they are at least learning from their past mistakes.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Ford's media page, Ford does not state or predict sales numbers, but seem more concerned with conquest sales of 45% as a goal.

This year, crossovers are expected to outsell the traditional SUV segment for the first time ever. Through August, industry crossover sales are up 8 percent at 1.62 million units. Already the fastest-growing vehicle segment in the United States, crossovers are expected to be the largest segment in the industry with sales of about 3 million units by the end of the decade. By 2009, the segment is expected to include more than 70 CUV models.

Ford Motor Company outpaced the competition in CUV growth in 2005 and will stake an even stronger claim over the CUV market with the introduction of the new Edge, along with the new Lincoln MKX. As vehicle segments continue to shift in the marketplace, Edge will play a critical role in retaining existing Ford customers as well as drawing new customers into Ford dealerships. Ford expects that approximately 45 percent of Edge buyers will be customers who are new to Ford Motor Company.

“The success of the Edge will prove that we can bring the same customer-focused intensity we have in trucks to new segments of the market,” said Codina. “The total Edge package – design, flexibility, fuel economy, fun-to-drive character and value – gives us high confidence that we will win new customers.”

http://media.ford.com/products/press_artic...$0C$B

The Mexican CD3 Triplets sold over 211,000 last year, each one a profitable sale. I bet they made as much if not more profit out of those 211,000 CD3 than low profit retail queen Toyota Camry's 440,000 odd sales.

Ohhhh I don't know about that one.

There are many flaws here --

1) the Camry often sells without incentives in the U.S. (So does Fusion, but more Camry sales = Camry is more profitable)

2) Fusion is meant as the mainstream car that competes with Camry. Camry had more sales.

3) The fleet numbers for Fusion and Camry are fairly even at 15%, is my understanding.

Like I have said before-I like the edge-think it looks great and has some nice features-but how many people here would spend nearly $40k on it-now the 3 that say so have to automatically disqualify yourself because you cannot use your employee discount. Remember you will not be able to go over to toyota and get $4k off a new highlander and the hyundai is less expensive by thousands.

Since when do you come up with 40K for a Edge? thats MKX pricing there. A loaded Edge tops out at 36K, with the avg pricing closer to 30K on it. Plus it seems like people want the more expensive models anyways with the $500 bucks dealer cash on the cheaper models that aren't moving as well. I haven't heard anything on plan restrictions either...its prob the dealership wanting to hold out till they can sucker in someone else without a plan to buy it.

Since when do you come up with 40K for a Edge? thats MKX pricing there. A loaded Edge tops out at 36K, with the avg pricing closer to 30K on it. Plus it seems like people want the more expensive models anyways with the $500 bucks dealer cash on the cheaper models that aren't moving as well. I haven't heard anything on plan restrictions either...its prob the dealership wanting to hold out till they can sucker in someone else without a plan to buy it.

Of course, it's perfectly acceptable to spend $47000 on a Murano.

First, of all how many actually set out ot buy a fully loaded automobile? Most people could do without the Vista Roof and Nav, once those items are unchecked on the option sheet you end up with a vehicle that retails for around $32,500 (SEL Plus AWD).

Bluetooth (which will be available in the fall), keyless go and HID headlamps would be nice. But rambling on and on about how something doesn't have a manumatic, just because, is something very silly to base part of any argument on. We already know that a good transmission will shift better than you can while the car is in manual mode, so again what's the big deal.

Ok, let me rehash what I said.

I said that an an SUV in the Edge's price and size class needs to either be seven passenger replacement for a minivan, a 7 passenger "truck based" trailer puller", or if it lacks a third row, it had damn well be a high performance crossover with near best in class acceleration, braking, handling, and equipment OR an off road tour de force.

The Edge is none of those things AND is overpriced for what you get.

The Fusion is competitive. The 500/Taurus is competitive with the new 3.5. I state that with the Edge, lacking a third row seat, manumatic, horrid brakes, and lacking features such as a manumatic and such, will fail in the marketplace. I stated in my original post that even Ford, with the Escape, Freestyle/Taurus X, and Explorer, has better options in their own product range. I give it another year and Ford will be putting money on the Edge's hood. I predicted it would be a failure. I am sticking by that prediction.

Of course, I though the 500 had a chance and look what happened. But the new Taurus looks good, so there's hope.

Edge doesn't need a token third row, if you need that go Explorer or Highlander and get to know your kneecaps on a kissing basis, third rows are a waste of time in a vehicle of the Edges size, if you have a large family and NEED the third row get an Expedition...an EL if you need luggage space behind the seat. And here we go RANTING on 0-60 skidpad, figure eight and magazine like claptrap again, ok lets get to 6.5 0-60...ever use it???? NO... unless you border on a Fast and Furious wannabee that will eventually piss and moan about the gas mileage that high performance brings, ...skidpad #'s...WHO IS GOING TO AUTOCROSS a bloody Edge, manu-matic...sheesh man...is that a prncing horse on the side? Who REALLY uses those on a daily driver????? and to get those #'s requires larger anti roll bars and stiffer springs...drive one of the bimmers on bad roads...gets old FAST! DON"T veiw specs as the holy grail, seems to me the EDGE was designed as a LIVEABLE day to dayer, in fact apparently they dialed in better ride characteristics rather than "G" force bragging rights...compromises HAVE to be made to keep things in budget and be competitive w the competition...and like someone said...spec out a Murano with the same equip...might raise your eyebrows...

I said close to $40k and when you add sales tax it is right at the number. Maybe I am just a little old school and cannot fathom the cost of ownership for this vehicle.

It is very hard for ford to build something right now, get lower volume than they are accustomed to and make a few bucks-that is a given. But as even RJ has mentioned, they are trying to establish themselves again as a in markets that they have not been serious about, so I think you need to pull out the Hyundai manual on how to conquer America.

1. Have a pretty damn good vehicle and price it thousands below it's competitors.

2. Offer an excellent warranty

3. Compare yourself to the best in class and offer an alternative that has very good value.

Maybe ford needs to do a better job of supplying vehicles to the press core...hell I don't know...but when I see a hyundai for $28k that is almost $10k less than the edge-I have a problem with that.

It kind of reminds me when chrysler was advertising the 300 and their minivans 18 months or so ago-when they were pretty fresh. They would show this starting at price of $22k and then show the vehicle they are previewing as something like $35k-that drives me nuts-not even close to the entry price point.

And I am more like Reynolds-in around $32k-without everything is great by me-you want the $36k version-maybe the market is stronger than I think it is and they will sell the high end models-but there are so many of those potential customers. Glad to see ford put a few $$'s on the lower end version-the more people driving these things the better.

If I am cautious about anything it is the lincoln-mkx or whatever the fuck they call it....that vehicle could be a hard sell up against an almost identical ford that costs $4k less. Hell I don't have all the answers....just wish for once that I would read 10 reviews about a ford product that gives unamious praise and tells everyone to go out and buy one.

I said close to $40k and when you add sales tax it is right at the number. Maybe I am just a little old school and cannot fathom the cost of ownership for this vehicle.

It is very hard for ford to build something right now, get lower volume than they are accustomed to and make a few bucks-that is a given. But as even RJ has mentioned, they are trying to establish themselves again as a in markets that they have not been serious about, so I think you need to pull out the Hyundai manual on how to conquer America.

1. Have a pretty damn good vehicle and price it thousands below it's competitors.

2. Offer an excellent warranty

3. Compare yourself to the best in class and offer an alternative that has very good value.

Maybe ford needs to do a better job of supplying vehicles to the press core...hell I don't know...but when I see a hyundai for $28k that is almost $10k less than the edge-I have a problem with that.

It kind of reminds me when chrysler was advertising the 300 and their minivans 18 months or so ago-when they were pretty fresh. They would show this starting at price of $22k and then show the vehicle they are previewing as something like $35k-that drives me nuts-not even close to the entry price point.

And I am more like Reynolds-in around $32k-without everything is great by me-you want the $36k version-maybe the market is stronger than I think it is and they will sell the high end models-but there are so many of those potential customers. Glad to see ford put a few $$'s on the lower end version-the more people driving these things the better.

If I am cautious about anything it is the lincoln-mkx or whatever the fuck they call it....that vehicle could be a hard sell up against an almost identical ford that costs $4k less. Hell I don't have all the answers....just wish for once that I would read 10 reviews about a ford product that gives unamious praise and tells everyone to go out and buy one.

Doubt that will ever happen....imagine Ford coming out with a vehicle that runs rings around the mags darling 3 series BMW and the prices it 7 grand cheaper...their first comments would be it is too expensive.....nothing really gets all thumbs up unless it is an import with outstanding test figures or exclusitivity aka..mega bucks Ferraris etc...

Yea, Ford is trying to tell people what they need to drive too. Kinda funny how the sales figures get worse month after month, eh?

edge is actually selling well...but hey that 3rd row will at lest DOUBLE maybe QUADRUPLE sales...come on man, get a clue...the car is too small for that and we have more requests for Explorers WITHOUT the third row.... third rows are for large Families and soccor Mums, and their needs are more along the expedition/ Tahoe lines...but you may be right, a third row in the edge would open up the market to the New Guinean pygmy tribes.......

Edited by Deanh

Selling well? Is that how they define the need to lose a shift at it's assembly plant?

Maybe we have different definitions for the word "success"?

so a third row is going to make THE difference huh?...off the pipe pioneer, and yes...at least here it is doing ok....I think sales nationwide on every manufacturer is down a little at least, I have friends in various ( toyota, honda, Chevy, audi, jaguar, land Rover, BMW ) dealers and no-one is setting the world on fire...seems the public as a whole is holding back spending their hard earned...got a gut feeling it may be to do with Bush declaring or incinuating war on seemingly everyone lately.....that and a totally saturated auto market

Why are you stuck on a third row seat? Would it help it? Hell, it can't hurt it. I wouldn't buy one without it. Even if it's small, have you ever heard of little people? I have three, they are called kids, and I tend to take them with me to quite a few places.

The Edge lacks in many different areas. Open your mind up a little and see the whole picture.

because some yo-yo mentioned it....and yes it would do more damage than good add another 700 to a grand to the price that I beleive others are complaining about as well , ZERO space for anything, let alone legs, and like I also said if you need the third then Ford caters with other products ie Explorer, and that back seat really is only good for the tykes...other than that what happens when they become teen-agers....once again, can we say Expedition/ Tahoe....curious...what do you perceive as the weakness's? I have veiws on that as well and yes there are areas for improvement but vehicles are victims of compromise due to budgetory constraints, and PLEASE do not mention skidpad #'s 15 foot more braking distance and zero to 60 that some of the gum chewing backward hat wearing tongue pierced Clearasil dowsed Mag heads seem so enthralled with....LOL!

Doubt that will ever happen....imagine Ford coming out with a vehicle that runs rings around the mags darling 3 series BMW and the prices it 7 grand cheaper...their first comments would be it is too expensive.....nothing really gets all thumbs up unless it is an import with outstanding test figures or exclusitivity aka..mega bucks Ferraris etc...

Funny, the 2005 Mustang got great reviews from these same auto rags and for over a year sold at or above MSRP...

It was at or near the top of every performance comparison in the class...Where was the Anti-Ford bias then?

THE ONLY REASON FORD productus are getting bad reviews lately is because they deserve them. Designing new cars with bottom to mid pack performance is stupid. Consistantly getting bad reviews DOES hurt a vehicles sales.

There was absolutely NO EXCUSE for Ford to release a new vehicle with such bad brakes.... PERIOD...

Edited by sranger

My mom is 5' 1", and my wife is 5' 2". They have spent 2 hour road trips in the third row of my Explorer, and have no problems with he room back there. Not everybody is built like a professional basketball player. Expedition/Tahoe? I do not want that large of a vehicle for a seat that I might use once a week.

Weaknesses? Well, after test driving one, either the thing needs to go on a diet, or the 3.5 V6 is not enough engine for it. I don't like the exterior styling, and it could use some different colors. I mean, come on. No white? I felt the brakes were good, despite what everybody else is saying about them, but I don't feel that Ford took care of the dashboard glare to my satisfaction.

Would I buy one? No. If I was in the market for a vehicle in that segment, I would buy a Mazda CX-9. Funny how Mazda got everything right, and both vehicles are on the same basic platform. A third row seat is a must for me. I don't want a hulking vehicle, so it's either a CX-9 or another Explorer for me.

5'1 and 5'2 is definitely not the norm, at least here in the USA ...rather "large "people to say the least. Then the explorer is perfect for you, the Edge is after a different type of buyer/ market totally and is a more compact design. 3rd row wouldn't work...plus obviously it wasn't initially designed with thoughts of a third row. In all sincerity I get more requests for Explorers WITHOUT the third row..maybe that is just here. As for going on a diet, I tentatively agree, however i have a sneaking suspicion it may be a cosequence of crash worthiness, and at least when one slams the door there is an element of substance...try slamming the door on an Odessey or highlander...sheesh...tin cans by comparison. Personally I find the 3.5 more than adequate, but a few more horse wouldn't help...BUT that usually comes as a penalty at the fuel pump. Understand the hesitancy on the styling, it is a love or hate...but so far it has gone down fabulously, but individual tastes vary of course...i mean people actually bought Aztecs! As for colors..AGREED! no white is inexcusable...and also I do like mazdas take...just saw they got some most dependable Franchaise award...take that Toyo boys!

Weaknesses? Well, after test driving one, either the thing needs to go on a diet, or the 3.5 V6 is not enough engine for it. I don't like the exterior styling, and it could use some different colors. I mean, come on. No white? I felt the brakes were good, despite what everybody else is saying about them, but I don't feel that Ford took care of the dashboard glare to my satisfaction.

Would I buy one? No. If I was in the market for a vehicle in that segment, I would buy a Mazda CX-9. Funny how Mazda got everything right, and both vehicles are on the same basic platform. A third row seat is a must for me. I don't want a hulking vehicle, so it's either a CX-9 or another Explorer for me.

I don't get this...the CX9 and Edge use the same engine and transmission (not 100% sure)...yet Mazda got it right, even though they are same basic vehicle?

You wonder why you got attacked on your possible MKX review, your already biased before you even get into a vehicle

I don't get this...the CX9 and Edge use the same engine and transmission (not 100% sure)...yet Mazda got it right, even though they are same basic vehicle?

You wonder why you got attacked on your possible MKX review, your already biased before you even get into a vehicle

A lot of vehicles share platforms and have different results. The interior of the mazda is head and shoulders above the edge's and many people will want that third seat-

The reviews on the mazda have been very favorable as well-not that it means everything-but it certainly means something.

If I was in the market for an edge type of vehicle and needed a 3rd seat the explorer would not be on my list-the market has shifted away from ladder frame designed vehicles to unibody designs. There is a world of difference.

btw, did not realize white was not available for the edge.....very strange.

A lot of vehicles share platforms and have different results. The interior of the mazda is head and shoulders above the edge's and many people will want that third seat-

I understand about the interior and 3rd seat thing, but how can one product with the same powertrain be faster then the other by a large margin?

btw, did not realize white was not available for the edge.....very strange.

There is a cream color (looks horrible on the website, much nicer in person), pure white is a boring color.

It was an MkZ, but enough about that.

I don't know if the CX-9 is better than the Edge. I know they got the options right, but without driving one I can't tell. I refuse to test drive one on the principal that the local Mazda dealer is also the local Toyota/VW dealership. Just looking at the latest commercial for the CX-9 gives me the impression that it is better. Wireless bluetooth, third row seat, the mother being portrayed as spoiled.....better than a car driving on the side of a building with an annoying song.

I know one thing, if I was seriously in the market for that kind of vehicle, the Edge would not be it.

actually agree on the mazda...good looking car ( not too sure on the rear side window kickup detail though ), and I am a big Mazda fan, anyone with the balls to bring Rotarys, TINY convertibles and other "risky" products to market shows they lack something Ford has....complacency when it comes to product. That and they are kinda the Jap underdog! CUDO"S MAZDA

Underwhelming is not good....

Our 2007 Sport Trac V8 LTD gets 15-17 around town and is a damn sight more useful overall than the Edge...

I find the Freestyle, now the Taurus X much better looking, more space, and way better mileage.....my daughter loves hers and gets 22-24 in mixed driving, and 27+ highway, This is from the Limited AWD with the CVT.

I nave seen and sat in Edges and don't feel any compulsion to even drive one around.....too fat, too thirsty, too expensive for what you get...

Dump the Edge, make more Mustangs, at least they sell really well....

I think it will have trouble sustaining the required sales volume in an already overcrowed segment. Excellence would be required to reach high desirability status, I don't see it being there.

Ford will need more time to get back their groove, question is how much time is that....

it seems to me that they are the King of adequate....always in the middle to back of pack for innovations, power, value etc.

If there weren't so many loyal Ford people willing to make excuses and accept what is out there, Ford would be in even bigger trouble at this point.

Don't write to me that I am not loyal and all that bullshit, I have 5 Fords, and I Suburban right now.....and I guess we will be adding another Mustang sometime shortly....

Guest Aggie79

I ordered an Edge because we like the looks, ride, seats are great, interior room fantastic, good pick-up and the fit and finish was good. We have always liked the solid feel of our Fords. Ford needs this vehicle to work and work well. We did not want a third row seat otherwise we would have looked at different vehicles; we wanted a sporty looking CUV with a great look, ride and performance (what's up with the brakes?).

I've driven the other cars in the review and liked the Edge the best. The Highlander is dated and even the '08 does not look that great, but the interior is nice and it will have a standard LCD screen with back-up camera. The Murano has a nice exterior but the dash is ugly and I did not think the seats were very comfortable (hard). The Hyundai was okay did not like the exterior as much as the Edge or Murano, interior at least they tried to make it look up-scale, but just a little scared to buy anything Hyundai. Also drove the Mazda CX-7, quick, reponsive handeling,but the interior is just ugly and the motor was noisy.

The Edge commercial could have been better and the interior needed to be a little nicer (wood grain), it's a little bland for my taste. But it seemed the best for the money and I'll always lean Ford if possible. Ford should up-grade the '07's free with any fixes in the '08's since they'll be out in a few months, would do wonders for Fords image putting the customer first.

Edited by Aggie79