2008 Edge

BPM

Hi all - love the forums. Doing some research on a future purchase.

I own a Mazda 6 right now, but I'm looking to trade it in for an Edge, as I like its style, ride quality and cargo room. It's perfect for what I would need it for. I've test driven one several times just to be sure and I'm really into this vehicle.

My question is, even though nothing is confirmed, does anyone have any information on what the 2008 model will feature that's different from the first? I know I've read that the brakes would be improved and I know it's going to feature the Sync system as an option (which is making me wait for an '08 in the first place - can't live without Bluetooth and iPod controls). However, a dealer told me that you can't upgrade an '07 with the Sync system, as it's a factory install.

Any other updgrades or changes to be made? Should I wait?

I hears just of the brakes/ tires ... nothing else yet .. the materials might improve and option packages change.

Edge might get the improved corporate switchgear from the 08 Taurus, but that would be a tiny change.

Nothing else yet.

Igor

Edited by igor

I did look at the CX-7 - I have odd feelings about the turbo and the premium fuel requirement. The back seat also felt kind of cramped.

As for the CX-9, loved it - however, it felt very large and cavernous on the inside, has a very stiff ride and is also several grand more expensive than I'd like to spend. It wins on styling alone, but the price is not right for me. Unless of course I wait until they need to get them off the lots :)

Does anyone know exatly what changes are being made to the brakes? I am also hoping that white is offered as a color in 2008.

The salesman I go to at my Ford dealer told me that he should know what the model changes are in April.

Does anyone know exatly what changes are being made to the brakes? I am also hoping that white is offered as a color in 2008.

The salesman I go to at my Ford dealer told me that he should know what the model changes are in April.

I heard it was a Tire Change that will improve the braking distances...

As for white, they have an off white color called Cream Burle or something like that..looks much better in person then on the website, which is more of a dark cream color.

If I go with a 2007 I will probably get the cream Brulee. It's just a little more yellow looking than I would like and white is mt favorite color.

If it's only a tire change in regards to the brakes than that is certainly not a reason to wait for the 2008 model year especially since there really hasn't been any talk on these boards as far as I can tell concerning any first year major issues with the Edge. It seems like Ford has done a great job with this car as they have with the Fusion in regards to quality.

If I go with a 2007 I will probably get the cream Brulee. It's just a little more yellow looking than I would like and white is mt favorite color.

If it's only a tire change in regards to the brakes than that is certainly not a reason to wait for the 2008 model year especially since there really hasn't been any talk on these boards as far as I can tell concerning any first year major issues with the Edge. It seems like Ford has done a great job with this car as they have with the Fusion in regards to quality.

yeah there was an engineer on the boards saying that they looked through the system, and the limiting factor was the tires - nothing else - just by upgrading that they will go from class trailing to class leading. I hope he is right.

Igor

I think I'm still going to wait for the 2008 model - I'm completely geeked about the new Sync system. I watched the demo on the Sync website and was completely blown away. I was never a fan of "poor" iPod interfaces that didn't allow you to control the device from your steering wheel. But to be able to actually talk to it and tell it what to play? Genious! Add that to the blazing copper and chrome wheels and I think I'll have a winner.

Well, if he is right, then why would Ford wait an entire model year to switch tires?

Oh, wait. This IS Ford we are talking about. :rolleyes:

be glad they are.

Ford has developed a really bad habit of putting below crappy tires on vehicles.

Sad when an F150 has shitty Generals while Chevs and Toyotas get Duelers from the Factory. And Rams get Goodyears.

And thats just one model. The rest of the lineup has some pretty crappy tires too. I don't like it that you need to spend 1000 on new rubber off the dealers lot just the be equal to the competitions rubber.

be glad they are.

Ford has developed a really bad habit of putting below crappy tires on vehicles.

Sad when an F150 has shitty Generals while Chevs and Toyotas get Duelers from the Factory. And Rams get Goodyears.

And thats just one model. The rest of the lineup has some pretty crappy tires too. I don't like it that you need to spend 1000 on new rubber off the dealers lot just the be equal to the competitions rubber.

I do not believe it is just the tires. After a few tests, I believe that the front suspension is also at fault. The Edge nose dives very sharply on a panic stop. I think the weight transfer is the biggest problem... I noticed after a couple of hard stops, the front brakes were smoking hot while the rear brakes were barly warm indicating that the ABS is not allowing the rear to do much of the stopping. While not conclusive, it does hint that the weight transfer is a problem...

Also I believe that it need better pads and probably Stainless steel brake lines to reduce brake fade. After a few hard ( not panic ) stops, the brakes get really mushy...

I hope that they do solve the problem. It is the main reason I won't buy one....

Havent noticed much of an issue with braking, but i hardly ever do panic stops as i am hardly ever panicked. When i test drove the car it didnt seem to take much more space than others in its class. There is a bit of a tip as the brakes go on, but i have almost been rear ended twice already when stopping so they must be working pretty well (of course that says nothing about those drivers!). Dont know if its the tires, brake pads, lines or what that might improve that, but it seems to be working ok at the moment. When the tires do fade down a bit i will probably swap out the continentals that came with it for something a bit better, but that will be a way in the future.

I should be glad Ford is waiting a whole model year to switch tires? :blink: Personally, I think if the tires are truly the problem, they should have been switched the day after they realised what the problem was.

true dat!

After Firestone, they should be a little gun shy with tires

What kind of tires did everyones Edge come with? I have Hankook Dynapro AS RH03 see here http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_detail.asp?pid=34

Are these the same as the continentals?

Also I've had my edge now for almost a month put on close to 3,000 miles in lots of different conditions up here in the northeast and I have not once felt the brakes or tires were unsafe or didn't have enough stopping power. And I came from a 2004 Civic that stopped in about 5 feet and I don't feel like I have had to change the way I brake at all I don't know maybe its just me but I have not been let down with the everyday braking of the edge.

Edited by ksaness07Edge

What kind of tires did everyones Edge come with? I have Hankook Dynapro AS RH03 see here http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_detail.asp?pid=34

Are these the same as the continentals?

Also I've had my edge now for almost a month put on close to 3,000 miles in lots of different conditions up here in the northeast and I have not once felt the breaks or tires were unsafe or didn't have enough stopping power. And I came from a 2004 Civic that stopped in about 5 feet and I don't feel like I have had to change the way I break at all I don't know maybe its just me but I have not been let down with the everyday breaking of the edge.

Why would you want to break a brand new vehicle??

Edited by akirby

Havent noticed much of an issue with braking, but i hardly ever do panic stops as i am hardly ever panicked. When i test drove the car it didnt seem to take much more space than others in its class. There is a bit of a tip as the brakes go on, but i have almost been rear ended twice already when stopping so they must be working pretty well (of course that says nothing about those drivers!). Dont know if its the tires, brake pads, lines or what that might improve that, but it seems to be working ok at the moment. When the tires do fade down a bit i will probably swap out the continentals that came with it for something a bit better, but that will be a way in the future.

To be honest, I believe that most people will never have a problem with the braking on the Edge. On the other hand it only has to be a issue once to get you into significant trouble. In my tests it seem fine in normal situations. However, when you stand on them it is a little scary how long it takes to stop. I drive about 25,000 miles in some of the worst high speed traffic in the country ( Atlanta, GA ) and probably have to do a panic stop a few times a year. Most of the time it is not my fault ( and yes some times it is my fault ) and there is nothing I could have done to avoid the situation. Most recently a ladder fell of a truck in front of me. With traffic to either side all I could do is hit the brakes and hope for the best. I believe that due to the number of miles I drive and the trype of traffic I drive in, the Edge would significantly increase my chances of being in an accident.

Also, I like to tow a boat with my SUV. I have to wonder how bad the brakes would be if it had to stop the extra weight of my boat...( about 2500lb )

Also, I like to tow a boat with my SUV. I have to wonder how bad the brakes would be if it had to stop the extra weight of my boat...( about 2500lb )

I would think if you are towing a 2500 pond boat you would want to have some sort of brakes on the trailer no? I do not have a boat and only tow trailers for hauling farm equipment(with an F250 for work) and they all have brakes on the trailers. And I do agree it only takes one time for you to wish it would stop better but I drive over 25,000 personal miles a year and then another 10,000 - 15,000 business miles and I can only think of say 2 - 3 times in the last 5 to 6 years that I had to stand on the brakes so I don't think it has anything to do with how many miles you drive but mostly where you drive them I guess ATL is not a good place to be driving?

I would think if you are towing a 2500 pond boat you would want to have some sort of brakes on the trailer no? I do not have a boat and only tow trailers for hauling farm equipment(with an F250 for work) and they all have brakes on the trailers. And I do agree it only takes one time for you to wish it would stop better but I drive over 25,000 personal miles a year and then another 10,000 - 15,000 business miles and I can only think of say 2 - 3 times in the last 5 to 6 years that I had to stand on the brakes so I don't think it has anything to do with how many miles you drive but mostly where you drive them I guess ATL is not a good place to be driving?

This boat does not have brakes. The 2800lb is for the boat and trailer combined. I would prefer them, but they are not necessary if the vehicle has good brakes. My 2005 mariner stops it just fine...

Atlanta traffic is some of the most dangerous in the country if you belive the stastitics. It is heavy volume at high speed. The Average speed on I285, I75, and I85 in and around Atlanta is 80mph... Keep in mind, that is the AVERAGE speed....

To be honest, I believe that most people will never have a problem with the braking on the Edge. On the other hand it only has to be a issue once to get you into significant trouble. In my tests it seem fine in normal situations. However, when you stand on them it is a little scary how long it takes to stop. I drive about 25,000 miles in some of the worst high speed traffic in the country ( Atlanta, GA ) and probably have to do a panic stop a few times a year. Most of the time it is not my fault ( and yes some times it is my fault ) and there is nothing I could have done to avoid the situation. Most recently a ladder fell of a truck in front of me. With traffic to either side all I could do is hit the brakes and hope for the best. I believe that due to the number of miles I drive and the trype of traffic I drive in, the Edge would significantly increase my chances of being in an accident.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not decided yet whether I'll get the 2007 or 2008 Edge but I'd like to see them introduce a couple more colors. Maybe a blue and a green.

Whatever brake solution they make for 2008, I just pray is doesn't result in excessive brake dust like so many other Ford models before it.

I've not decided yet whether I'll get the 2007 or 2008 Edge but I'd like to see them introduce a couple more colors. Maybe a blue and a green.

Whatever brake solution they make for 2008, I just pray is doesn't result in excessive brake dust like so many other Ford models before it.

I'd wait for the 08, brake dust is better than an accident, plus there are things you can do about the dust like buying a good set of pads like Hawk makes, and you can put wheel wax on your rims which makes it harder for the dust to stick and easier to clean off...

A cosmetic change I'm sure Ford will offer in '08 will be painted body side molding. They'll probably have it standard on a Limited edition. I'm surprised a Limited wasn't offered initially.

Any guesses on when the '08 will start hitting the lots? Sept or Oct?