New Ford product line advertisement

Excuse me if this has been discussed, but last night for the first time I saw the new Ford product line commercial. I thought it was one of their best ads - well the new F150 ad with the dirty jobs guy I like cause of something about his delivery.

Commercial had some old clips, including an old clip of a ford pickup being dropped from a plane. Then goes to new Superduty, the Mustang Cobra, with a great clip of it in a tunnel or something, then a bit about the fusion beating camry and honda, and nice shot and description of new Escape Hybrid, does a brief shot of the Taurus name on a trunk. Ends with pan of cobra, superduty, Edge, fusion and escape (no focus or 500?)

Its a very nicely paced commercial that seems to do a nice job of building excitement and pride in Ford's direction.

Excuse me if this has been discussed, but last night for the first time I saw the new Ford product line commercial. I thought it was one of their best ads - well the new F150 ad with the dirty jobs guy I like cause of something about his delivery.

Commercial had some old clips, including an old clip of a ford pickup being dropped from a plane. Then goes to new Superduty, the Mustang Cobra, with a great clip of it in a tunnel or something, then a bit about the fusion beating camry and honda, and nice shot and description of new Escape Hybrid, does a brief shot of the Taurus name on a trunk. Ends with pan of cobra, superduty, Edge, fusion and escape (no focus or 500?)

Its a very nicely paced commercial that seems to do a nice job of building excitement and pride in Ford's direction.

they will wait for the refreshes to include the Taurus and Focus in that lineup shot ..

I would assume ..

but I have yet to see that commercial.

Igor

That sounds cool, havn't seen it. Does anybody know where you can see new Ford Commericals online? I think that for 2008 Ford should do a "Tri-Bar" commerical with a white background that advertises the Fusion, Taurus, Taurus X, Edge, Focus, and Flex at the same time together. Call it "The New Face of Ford" or somthing. It would show off some of Ford's better, more progressive models different from the cheap cars and gas-guzzling though great trucks/suvs.

when the Taurus comes out I hope they keep the tagline "We designed the Perfect family car and then gave it the perfect name...Taurus." They should also advertise teh Taurus and Taurus X together.

As far as I know, J Walter Thompson is still Ford's ad agency. Apparently they (JWT) have put someone else in charge of the account recently though. The new ads are all pretty good.

I think the biggest reason is that Mulally has been shopping for a global marketing czar that will have a task to develop a cohesive global marketing strategy .. if s/he comes from Europe and sees some sucky ads from JWT, they would no doubt be dropped like 3rd period French .. so JWT is trying their best to make some good impression before the new czar comes in.

Igor

That sounds cool, havn't seen it. Does anybody know where you can see new Ford Commericals online? I think that for 2008 Ford should do a "Tri-Bar" commerical with a white background that advertises the Fusion, Taurus, Taurus X, Edge, Focus, and Flex at the same time together. Call it "The New Face of Ford" or somthing. It would show off some of Ford's better, more progressive models different from the cheap cars and gas-guzzling though great trucks/suvs.

when the Taurus comes out I hope they keep the tagline "We designed the Perfect family car and then gave it the perfect name...Taurus." They should also advertise teh Taurus and Taurus X together.

Audi has just started using "The new face of Audi" on their ads. I like the Taurus ad concept.

Change at JWT Detroit, like change at Ford itself comes slowly, but it does build momentum.

For years, Ford got lousy work out of JWT Detroit because they didn't ask for quality work. It's like this: you go to a paint store and order a terrible color combination, and then paint your house and are disgusted by the way things look, that's on you, not the paint store.

I mean, JWT had some no talent hacks in the Detroit office, but I'll be perfectly honest, that's all Ford deserved. Ford had no clue, throughout the late 90s and early 00s, what they wanted. They were all over the map as far as message goes, and that directly impacted the work that JWT could do for them.

One of the first things Mark Fields did, on arrival, was institute a review to determine a goal and a common 'message' for Ford products.

This may, to many, seem like a waste of time. However, without a centrally defined set of attributes--even if they are somewhat vague and fluffy, what exactly can you do? It's like an orchestra, everybody has to be in tune, otherwise you don't get one note, you get a bunch of discordant notes.

Once they came up with that "Red White and Bold" inhouse tag, the rest dropped into place, piece by piece.

First came the "Bold Moves" tag, then things like the Fusion Challenge.

This progress is as much due to Ford staying on message (and HAVING a message) as it is due to JWT hitting its stride.

The reality is that the Ford account is too big to be shopped to more than maybe 5 agencies worldwide--and while JWT Detroit is undoubtedly aware that Ford is looking for a CMO, and that this new CMO may want to perform an agency review, I think the effect this is having on their commercials can be overstated.

The reality is that the Bold Moves platform has been fantastic from the get-go. Some have disapproved of these spots, but the reality is these spots were not intended for Ford loyalists. They were intended for people that haven't given Ford a second look in years, and they weren't intended to payoff overnight.

In fact, the Bold Moves re-branding campaign has not yet paid off. It won't pay off for a couple more years.

But it will pay off. As long as Ford sticks with it.

Edited by RichardJensen

And I think this latest product line ad by Ford does a nice job of summarizing or unifying the Bold Moves and other ads Ford has been doing. While also playing on the heritage/americana ("red white and bold"?) aspects of Ford.

Has anyone else seen it yet. Hate to admit it (cause I swear I was just channel surfing) but I saw it Monday on Dancing with the Stars.

And I think this latest product line ad by Ford does a nice job of summarizing or unifying the Bold Moves and other ads Ford has been doing. While also playing on the heritage/americana ("red white and bold"?) aspects of Ford.

Has anyone else seen it yet. Hate to admit it (cause I swear I was just channel surfing) but I saw it Monday on Dancing with the Stars.

I saw it last night. Pretty cool ad.

How about the "Have you driven a Ford Lately?" theme? I though I saw a post where someone mentioned seeing it as sort of a "flashback" in the ad. I can remember that theme when it came out and they had all sorts of racing scenes in the background- talk about "recall"!

Anything is better then the ridiculous Edge ad where the creepy arm comes over the top of the couch! Or the 150 ads where the actors dressed up in clean work clothes are tosing broken concrete into the back of a Lariat. At least the new ads have some credibility-like the one in which a red 150 comes out of a barn with a skid steer bucket as the payload.

I saw it last night. Pretty cool ad.

YOU were watching American Idol????????????

Tsk tsk tsk.

(BTW: I'm just guessing. I didn't watch American Idol, I swear, except for the last bit where the weird white guy tried so sound like one of the guys from Boys 2 Men singing "Don't Speak" (AWFUL!!!), and that only because House was on next)

YOU were watching American Idol????????????

Tsk tsk tsk.

(BTW: I'm just guessing. I didn't watch American Idol, I swear, except for the last bit where the weird white guy tried so sound like one of the guys from Boys 2 Men singing "Don't Speak" (AWFUL!!!), and that only because House was on next)

I'll blame it on the girlfriend again. I wanted to watch Law & Order reruns on USA. :hysterical:

I think the biggest reason is that Mulally has been shopping for a global marketing czar that will have a task to develop a cohesive global marketing strategy .. if s/he comes from Europe and sees some sucky ads from JWT, they would no doubt be dropped like 3rd period French .. so JWT is trying their best to make some good impression before the new czar comes in.

Igor

Mark Fields was drummed up as some kind of marketing guru. Has he helped?

Quote from Peter Horbury in a business week article- "Fields, in fact, is the first executive at Ford in modern memory who has brought "a true marketing mindset to the top of the company," as Ford's chief North American designer, Peter Horbury, puts it. "

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflas..._9292_db035.htm

Mark Fields was drummed up as some kind of marketing guru. Has he helped?

Yes. One of the first things he did was institute a review process to find a customer orientation for Ford's products.

Upon developing specific targets for Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln products, Ford could provide JWT direction that they could work under to provide solid advertising.

If your boss has no idea how you should do your job, odds are you're going to do lousy work. And eventually, you'll do the bare minimum required to keep your job.

The relationship between Ford & JWT is no different.