Ford's March sales expected to drop 17%

Analysts and automakers expect March vehicle sales to be flat compared with last year, with reduced truck sales buoyed by stronger sales of cars and car-based utility vehicles.

U.S. sales results for Detroit auto companies are expected to continue to reflect a slower housing market's depressing effect on truck sales and General Motors Corp.'s and Ford Motor Co.'s efforts to reduce sales to car-rental companies. Detroit automakers are also continuing to work through production cuts, analysts said.

| MORE |

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any update? Is the sales number out yet?

I have a feeling theat Edmunds's gonna eat their words again. Sales will be down, of course, but will not be as bad as 17% off.

Should we bring Igor's prediction thread up too?

I have a feeling theat Edmunds's gonna eat their words again. Sales will be down, of course, but will not be as bad as 17% off.

1pm today .. I will bring up the predictions when I return from lunch :D

Igor

Autoline Detroit had a rant about Edmunds and their sales projections. They said that Edmunds was NEVER right about their predictions and that they were the only media outlet doing them. McElroy said the only reason he could come up with for Edmunds to continue with sales projections was that it got their name printed in other publications every month. Edmunds has ZERO credibility with me ever since their chief auto editor told me he didn't think changing the stroke on an engine would change the displacement, which is like saying that you don't understand why a tall glass holds more water than a short glass. Idiots.

and the market dudes fail again.. lolololol.... 264k isnt bad for totally killing off fleetqueen taurus and f150 drops.

oh, and to whomever said the edge would fail.. you are dead wrong.. thing is selling fast and with little or no incentives... even local fusion incentives are null for the most part.

Does anyone else find it downright disgusting that Bill Ford turned the company into something so bad that good news is sales being down 10%?

anyways not to be completely negative, I looked at the breakdown and was suprised the Ford dumped 20k+ tauruss's into fleets last year so that would make up a big junk of hat 10%

Anyways Fusion is finally picking up steam, thank god. Let's keep it steady at above 15k and see if we can move closer to 20k, the great advertising seems to have worked. And to all those people who say it didn't matter Ford had the worst commercials in the industry because noone watches commercials.

The Edge surpassed my goal of 9k for the month, I thing this may slide down to average at 9k a month which is still great.

It seems Ford has used to focus to fill some of the fleet that the Taurus eft behind.

The 500 is suprising, maybe they are heavily discounted to make way for the taurus? I mean it is still down but not too long ago it barely sold 3k a month.

The redesigned escape is in a stand still but the Mariner is down significantly.

The MKX isn't making the inroads I thought it would make against the RX350, which is suprising since the Edge is doing very well. Maybe people don't see the point of the extra cost as the share about everything except an interior and a nose?

Anyways the new product is selling strong so it is good news.

Edited by DCK

Does anyone else find it downright disgusting that Bill Ford turned the company into something so bad that good news is sales being down 10%?

well, we are expecting sales to be down, but i think they are selling better than expected.. they are only 10% off thier best month of last year in a year where they are expected to hit rock bottom... so ya, sure they are down 10% but look at the core vehicles... Edge is hot, fusion is hot, the new escape sold more this month than it didnt last year.. now thats interesting.. eventhou it has same old puking PT, it looks better, and well, its selling..

i bet they are ahead of toyota again this month and probably ahead of them ytd too..

Gonna be interesting to see GM's numbers. Anyone else notice the Five Hundred only outsold the Crown Vic by 54 units? :rolleyes:

yup.. but, to sell alot of vehicles, they need to be on the lot.. every ford dealer i visit has like less than 5 500s on the lots, so i think they are close to end of line on 07s... that being said, i have had 3 people who said they saw new taurus and like it alot.. good first impressions are good to have.

Its better then being 17% down...hopefully it shows that the company is slowly turning itself around and most of the sales drops are due to cut backs in the fleet.

Took a look at the numbers...I guess with the Edge selling nearly 11K units this month, its the best selling 2 row CUV on the market. So much for it being a "failure"

Explorer sales are still sucking (seem to be losing 25% of there sales every month)! Expedition sales are up, but I wonder how much of that is because of the EL model, which replaced the Excursion.

The D3 cars are doing horrible...I wouldn't be the least bit suprised when the Tauras and Sable hit the market that their numbers will be closer to the 10K mark every month due to the new names and updates...they can't come soon enough.

Its better then being 17% down...hopefully it shows that the company is slowly turning itself around and most of the sales drops are due to cut backs in the fleet.

Took a look at the numbers...I guess with the Edge selling nearly 11K units this month, its the best selling 2 row CUV on the market. So much for it being a "failure"

Explorer sales are still sucking (seem to be losing 25% of there sales every month)! Expedition sales are up, but I wonder how much of that is because of the EL model, which replaced the Excursion.

The D3 cars are doing horrible...I wouldn't be the least bit suprised when the Tauras and Sable hit the market that their numbers will be closer to the 10K mark every month due to the new names and updates...they can't come soon enough.

ya, explorer is doing terrible, iam not sure if i like it or not, really not sure.. the sport trac is cool, just lost on the exploder.

ya, explorer is doing terrible, iam not sure if i like it or not, really not sure.. the sport trac is cool, just lost on the exploder.

I really hope that Ford has something in the cards to replace it or seriously update it 2009. But I have my doubts since the 09 MY starts in year and half. If they greenlighted the Interceptor, I would fully expect it to got over to Unibody RWD with the Interceptor and Mustang.

The 05 redesign was a big disappointment. I like my parents 02 Eddie Bauer Explorer better then the 06 Limited Explorer my sister has.

I haven't seen many of the new Escapes stockpiled at any of the local Ford dealers, which makes me wonder if it is an inventory issue.

I'm glad to see the F Series isn't taking too hard of a hit in light of the Silverado and Sierra. Ditto that about the Edge and Fusion, two vehicles that people around here swore would fail and never ever move over X units a month. I hope that continued improvement is made to ensure sustained growth for both nameplates.

Ford Motor Company only down 9.0% as a whole. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Pluses:

CD3's are finally picking up steam. Of course, some of this may be due to a bit more fleeting since the Taurus is gone.

Edge is doing awesome!! Where are the naysayers now? MKX is doing pretty decent - 3000+ units, which is almost more than they sold in January and February combined.

Expy/Navi seem to have found life again with the EL version added to the mix.

New S80 and C70 are doing pretty well by Volvo volume standards.

New XK is doing well.

Minuses:

Explorer and Ranger keep free-falling.

The REST of Jaguar. Ugh!!

Land Rover needs that LR2 to prop up volumes. Overall they look decent though.

D3's still sucking, but sucking steadily at least.

The Rest:

It doesn't look horrible for the future. The majority of the huge drop-off models so far have been the D3's and older vehicles. Hopefully the replacements for these aging platforms can stem the losses in the future.

Well Ford no doubt will combine the numbers for the Taurus and the Taurus X, so that makes 10k already. I think 13k a month is liekly then they can advertise they have the best selling large car in america. Which even though really isn't true because they combined them, Toyota does it with the corolla and business is cut throat, the nice guy who plays by the rules all the time always loses.

I skimmed through the article and could not find if Ford said anything about fleet and retail sales. If they dropped fleet sales they atleast would of bragged about it, but the article doesn't say.